Mets, Twins reach agreement on Santana trade

NJDevs4978

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Met fan it's hard not to be happy about this, although they still have to sign him. That doesn't always happen, but I get the feeling the Mets are going to shell out whatever they have to.

Long-term deals for pitching always makes me nervous though...take a look at a lot of the LTD signed by pitchers.

I guarentee if the Yankees or Red Sox were in the NL there is no way the Twins would have chosen this offer over theirs. These guys are garbage.

I agree with the general point that a big part of the motivation was getting him out of the AL but that's a little strong. Gomez was in the majors about a year and a half before he was supposed to be ready this year and didn't look completely out of place, Mulvey supposedly vaulted to being the top pitching prospect even above Humber and Pelfrey according to some people.

Met fans don't complain about money as much as they laugh at the Yankees not being able to win World Series (which they think a birthright) in the last several years despite spending over a billion dollars on payroll. Plus the Yankees' payroll does virtually guarantee a playoff appearance year in and year out, if not actual success in short series.

Hell we only face the Yankees six times a year, not as if it would ever be a big issue between the two teams anyway. Other than that we do have an edge over other NL teams money-wise (though it isn't as pronounced as the Yankees' edge on most AL teams especially considering Tampon Bay is in the same division with about a $20 million payroll).

Edited by Hasan4978