Should the Devils be renamed

msweet

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the same way, New York Rangers and New York Knicks... wait a minute... New York, New York?!?

(sometimes my attempts at being funny are awful)

Rock, thanks for the articles, it used to bother me when Devils fans didn't know the legend (as in native New Jerseyans)... it's probably the most interesting tale this state has ever had and IS the reason we're called the Devils, so I take pride in it.

Being called the Devils is especially cool in today's NHL of PC'd and wussy nicknames. I mean the "Blue Jackets", the "Mighty Ducks", the "Thrashers". I shudder to think what awful name they would come up with if it were to change. Just because we are getting a new arena does not mean the team name will change. Last time I checked Newark was still in New Jersey.

True, and there weren't any more sightings of the Jersey Devil (the mythic one) in East Rutherford than there have been in Newark. Question is whether to go the full nine yards and declare this a Newark team and throw your lot in with the city (essentially declaring it the city of New Jersey) or to keep trying to believe that those South Jerseyans will come around and stop being Flyer fans as long as the name includes them in it. I'm of the opinion that they shouldn't change the name until they're settled in to Newark and have played there a few years. At this point just the idea of an ESPN camera panning on the Newark Skyline while announcing a Devils game is enough for me.

It's not about trying to be inclusive of "people" from South Jersey or slapping Newark in the face. The New Jersey Devils have a history and tradition now as the New Jersey Devils. Changing the name would take away from that history and we would be almost starting from scratch again.

I agree that the New Jersey Devils have a history and tradition and in that regard I'd be hesitant to mess with the name. However, if you were going to change it, do it after they're settled in at Newark, played a few years there. Wait until fans are used to going to Broad Street for games. I'd love to see them called the Newark Devils, but I don't think thats a good idea until fans get used to the idea of them being in Newark. Perhaps during their first Stanley Cup celebration in Newark they can rename it that, but not before.

Newark....the city of New Jersey? What the hell is that supposed to mean? The city of New Jersey?????? I guess municipalities such as Jersey City, Paterson, Trenton, Atlantic City, Camden, etc. don't count?

The Devils need a new state of the art arena in Newark to secure their economic survival, for numerous reasons. Now that the franchise has been successful you would never want to alter its tradition. Young fans are growing up as New Jersey Devils fans, let it be. Allow the tradition to evolve.

Forget about another hockey as it's not possible. The Flyers would never allow a team in Trenton or Atlantic City no matter how much $ a new owner tossed into their pockets. Philly depends on South Jersey for their fan base and neither Trenton, nor AC could support a NHL team. We were able to change our ugly "Christmas Tree" sweaters to the current red, black and white, let it be. Continue the team name, emblem and colors and add to what is slowly becoming a nice rich history of hockey in the Garden State.

PS Ninja's? Seriously? The Garden State Warriors? Forgot about the Golden State Warriors I guess. How about the Newark 'Nuckleheads?

Newark....the city of New Jersey? What the hell is that supposed to mean? The city of New Jersey?????? I guess municipalities such as Jersey City, Paterson, Trenton, Atlantic City, Camden, etc. don't count?

I'd say Atlantic City, is the city of New Jersey...

Atlantic City is such a depressing place once you're not on the boardwalk...but I do like to gamble. :D

-Scott

I'd say Atlantic City, is the city of New Jersey...

Atlantic City is such a depressing place once you're not on the boardwalk...but I do like to gamble. :D

-Scott

It's the first thing that comes to mind if you're not from Jersey, and it's the biggest tourist attraction.

Although it is in Las Vegas' shadow.

Both places I love (AC & LV), LV is better though, much more to do, and it's out west so it's kind of "exotic" for us easterners! :rofl:

Paul Simon, Sarah Vaughan, Frankie Vallie and the Four Seasons, Shaquille O'Neal, Whitney Houston, Aaron Burr, Connie Francis, Stephen Crane, Phillip Roth, Seth Boyden, Thomas Edison, Queen Latifah, and Jerry Lewis, all off the top of my head. These are names of people who either were born in Newark or made names for themselves in Newark. There is no single city in New Jersey that has contributed as much to our state's culture as Newark has. There are a few guys in each of the other cities, but none have contributed to our state as greatly as Newark has. There is no city in the state with a greater transportation network than Newark has. There is no city in the state that has been the birthplace of more commerce and large business or, for that matter, small business. There is no city in the state that has had as great an impact on our political and societal situation. That is why Newark is the city of New Jersey.

Paul Simon, Sarah Vaughan, Frankie Vallie and the Four Seasons, Shaquille O'Neal, Whitney Houston, Aaron Burr, Connie Francis, Stephen Crane, Phillip Roth, Seth Boyden, Thomas Edison, Queen Latifah, and Jerry Lewis, all off the top of my head. These are names of people who either were born in Newark or made names for themselves in Newark. There is no single city in New Jersey that has contributed as much to our state's culture as Newark has. There are a few guys in each of the other cities, but none have contributed to our state as greatly as Newark has. There is no city in the state with a greater transportation network than Newark has. There is no city in the state that has been the birthplace of more commerce and large business or, for that matter, small business. There is no city in the state that has had as great an impact on our political and societal situation. That is why Newark is the city of New Jersey.

But Hoboken has FRANK, baby!

More famous people from Newark......

Robert Dinero

Ray Liotta

Joe Pesci

Jason Alexander

Bill Bellamy

Wyclef Jean

Brian De Palma

Allen Ginsberg

Ice-T

Jerry Lewis

Joe Rogan

Paul Simon

More famous people from Newark......

Robert Dinero

Ray Liotta

Joe Pesci

Jason Alexander

Bill Bellamy

Wyclef Jean

Brian De Palma

Allen Ginsberg

Ice-T

Jerry Lewis

Joe Rogan

Paul Simon

JASON ALEXANDER!!!!!!!!!

Wow, I'll have to reconsider going there now...