All-Purpose Off-Season NHL UFA RUMOR & TRADE Thread

DevilinLA

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

konopka is good at faceoffs and fighting, but other than that he's not a good hockey player, plus he takes a boatload of penalties. someone will overpay him.

if the islanders use strome in the NHL this year to hit the cap floor, they won't have room for konopka.

This is Tri's insecure, knee-jerk reaction to my praising Konopka.

If I would have said Konopka sucks, then Tri would have put him up on a Pedestal along with Gretzky, Howe, Lemieiux and Mark Fayne.

Can we get another thread for FA signings, or change the title of this thread?

I've been posting individual threads per NEW Signing - but this one for Speculation.

I'll change the title.

DONE.

I think CONFIRMED individual UFA signings should warrant their own thread discussion.

Edited by DevilinLA

This is Tri's insecure, knee-jerk reaction to my praising Konopka.

If I would have said Konopka sucks, then Tri would have put him up on a Pedestal along with Gretzky, Howe, Lemieiux and Mark Fayne.

Keep thinking that everything is about you. Konopka has his uses on a bad team - being good at faceoffs is a good skill to have when you're always in your own defensive zone - but he makes little sense for a good team, which is what the Devils are.

Steckel is a better player, and probably a better value.

Edited by Triumph

Keep thinking that everything is about you. Konopka has his uses on a bad team - being good at faceoffs is a good skill to have when you're always in your own defensive zone - but he makes little sense for a good team, which is what the Devils are.

Steckel is a better player, and probably a better value.

Disagree - Steckel is as soft as Charmin - ask any Caps fan.

He's big but will never use his size.

NJ lacks grit and we need more players who can bring the big body.

don't really care what caps fans think, he can kill penalties, win faceoffs, and play a solid 4th line center. that's his job.

i don't think this is very important.

maybe so, but it usually comes at the expense of skill, especially in the case of someone like konopka, who took a ton of penalties last year. konopka's a good player for a bad team, but a bad player for a good team.

Edited by Triumph

+1

Steckel is a stiff.

Konopka took a lot penalties in defense of his team. You hit Tavares, he went after you.

Edited by MantaRay

+1

Steckel is a stiff.

Konopka took a lot penalties in defense of his team. You hit Tavares, he went after you.

That's the problem. We were the least penalized team in the league last season, I'd like to keep it that way.

This goes back to getting a guy who can get in the sh$t and crash the net. Konopka's not the only one willing to get down and dirty.

I know we have Parise but let's wait and see if the surgery will handicap his willingness to play down and dirty again.

So now this is a UFA thread too? I don't wanna shift through 15 unmarked pages of a thread to discuss a signing just because I wasn't online the second it happened. What the hell was wrong with doing it the old way?

+1!!!

There should be this thread for trades and trade speculation and another for UFA spec and other minor signings with the more notable ones having their own thread.

So now this is a UFA thread too? I don't wanna shift through 15 unmarked pages of a thread to discuss a signing just because I wasn't online the second it happened. What the hell was wrong with doing it the old way?

MB if you check my most recent post I made I merely SUGGESTED that:

1.) CONFIRMED NEW SIGNINGS should get there own thread (as myself and others have been doing) to discuss the deal and value and such.

and

2.)UFA Rumors, Speculation, and trade be looped in one thread.

I just thought it might be a little easier to sift through for 7/1 and leading up.

I agree that I get a little frustrated at the some of the newer folks who repost threads and create duplicates about things discussed or in discussion already. During the season or off-season no biggie - but on a high traffic day I think it becomees chaotic.

If you have an alternative suggestion go for it - I'm not in charge here - just trying to help. :noclue:

Edited by DevilinLA

PHI OFFER SHEET UPDATE:

NHL LIVE and multiple Twitter Sources reporting Flyers Organization has announced that they will not be making an OFFER SHEET for Stamkos.

tpanotchCSN Tim Panaccio

by erlendssontrib

Flyers will NOT submit an offer sheet on Stamkos. It's over. More coming...

http://twitter.com/#!/tpanotchCSN/st...44240452177921

Edited by DevilinLA

ERHOFF:

RealKyper Nick Kypreos

#Sabres will soon announce Ehroff deal. Keep in mind he turned

down big #Isles offer. It a deal believed to be between 5 -5.5M on

aav.

Rumors are saying 8 yrs/40 million, front-loaded, with a NMC.

Edited by DevilinLA

ERHOFF:

RealKyper Nick Kypreos

#Sabres will soon announce Ehroff deal. Keep in mind he turned

down big #Isles offer. It a deal believed to be between 5 -5.5M on

aav.

I love that like it means something from Kypreos. It's probably a big deal coming from a goon like him whose only claim to fame is breaking his head open when Vandenbussche knocked him out.

What happened to the speculation that you couldn't get a good PMD for less than 6mil? :whistling:

You have to understand the whole scope of the deal.

ITs either LONG TERM or BIG CASH/CAP HIT

BUF went with TERM (like we did w/Kovi) to keep the hit down.

I think this is a bad deal - is he a franchise player - no way.

I would take Jbou (27/28 yrs old) at his monster hit for 3 years anyday over this deal.

don't really care what caps fans think, he can kill penalties, win faceoffs, and play a solid 4th line center. that's his job.

--- SURE, why trust what the folks who have been watching the guy night in night out observe - by that logic I guess Jason Arnott is still a top center.

i don't think this is very important.

--- Ask VAN's defense that was worn out over 7 games from the hitting and gritty play if this is important.

maybe so, but it usually comes at the expense of skill, especially in the case of someone like konopka, who took a ton of penalties last year. ----konopka's a good player for a bad team, but a bad player for a good team.

--- Agreed. But Konopka brings more than Steckel - lets see what he gets for $$$

Edited by DevilinLA