Senators fire Coach Martin

HellOnICE

I see what your saying, but then why make trades at all? Chemistry will always be a factor when you bring a player in late in the season. We know Langs wasn't happy but he paid dividends the following year. Sometimes that's how long it takes for a trade to pay off. Sometimes you get lucky and it pays right away. Who knows what Bondra will bring to the team next year. And as a pro, he should give it his best. Sometimes you just gotta do. Lots of Devils fans wish Lou did something more at the deadline.

Here's to next season, whenever it may be! LETS GO DEVILS! The year of the Zach Attack! :evil:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Coulda, woulda, shoulda..... I was all for picking up Bondra because he was so cheap to pick up and our obvious lack of secondary scoring. I'm so glad that we picked up Kozlov instead. :blink:

Anyone who reads Crash's recaps with any regularity was happy to see THAT deal swayed.

I don't think the Craps woulda taken that... guy... for Bondra. Otherwise we'd have Bondra!

Considering what the idea was of what we got back... he made a good deal. And there was that one glorious five-point game... Ah, the golden days... I mean day.

Enough of that press conference... I still see this as the Islanders. It is just as much the GM as it is the coach, but the GM will stand there making excuses while the coach suffers the consequences.

I don't know how it's the GM...did they or did they not have a team that for the last like five years was supposed to contend for the Stanley Cup? Hell the last two years, they won the President's Trophy, and had another 100 point season where they were the top scoring team in the league. Seems to me once you get the team in position it's up to the coach and the players and they failed.

I'm no Muckler fan but what else was he supposed to do, get Kolzig? I guess you could say that, but Lalime DID have the lowest playoff GAA of any goalie before Game 7 :lol: They supposedly addressed the toughness issue with some of their trades. Did the GM scratch Spezza again and again while their offensive 'stars' couldn't put a marble past Belfour? Hell, what would have been wrong with giving Prusek more of a look while Lalime was stinking up the joint in the regular season? Maybe they would have stumbled onto a playoff goalie. Plus you just can't lose to your bitterest rivals four times in what, six years? Especially considering the last two times Ottawa 'should' have won the series (two years ago they had the better team, this year they did after Sundin's injury).

Martin's what I call a point A to point B coach...excellent at getting a team from scratch to contender, but for some reason (lack of fire, whatever) he can't push them over the top.

But as a whole, coaches are fired faster in the NHL than most other professional sports.

I dunno about that, look at all the coaching changes in the NBA the last couple of years. There's ONE coach in the Eastern Conference that's lasted more than one year with his current team - ONE YEAR! And that guy's coaching a crap team (Atlanta Hawks) so I wouldn't exactly count on him lasting too much longer :lol: The NFL sees 6-10 head coach firings every year. MLB has its share of turnover. Coaching changes are a way of life in sports now...that's just the way it is. Unless you're one of the top five-seven coaches you're easily disposable.

I don't know how it's the GM...did they or did they not have a team that for the last like five years was supposed to contend for the Stanley Cup? Hell the last two years, they won the President's Trophy, and had another 100 point season where they were the top scoring team in the league. Seems to me once you get the team in position it's up to the coach and the players and they failed.

Well, over cards at lunch today we were chatting... and one person made a very apt contention.

You take Toronto's players and Ottawa's players, mix them all up, and you have TWO teams that could make the finals. Instead we have two teams that haven't made the finals in several decades. Toronto is 10 miles deep in veteran leadership(Leetch, Sundin), gritty players(Domi, Tucker), and heart players (Roberts). Ottawa lacks in all those categories. Ottawa has youth, exhuberance and speed - things that Toronto could do with more of. I think the age of the Leafs will catch up with them eventually... this isn't 1967 anymore.

I think it is glaringly obvious that there were pieces missing.

I see what your saying, but then why make trades at all?  Chemistry will always be a factor when you bring a player in late in the season.  We know Langs wasn't happy but he paid dividends the following year.  Sometimes that's how long it takes for a trade to pay off.  Sometimes you get lucky and it pays right away.  Who knows what Bondra will bring to the team next year.  And as a pro, he should give it his best.  Sometimes you just gotta do.  Lots of Devils fans wish Lou did something more at the deadline.

Here's to next season, whenever it may be! LETS GO DEVILS!  The year of the Zach Attack!  :evil:

I liked the last part :lol: . Even if I am sick. That is from one of my favorite shows. Saved by the Bell :) .

Anything better then team1200 for big things in Ottawa. It seems everyone Ottawa wants Larry but I think they need a stern tough SOB. I was even thinking Jaques Demers

They want Larry because he's popular here... we like the local guys. We had Ottawa boy Martin for 8 years... let's not go by sentiment alone.

I think 9/10ths of the Senator fan base don't know that Larry is the ULTIMATE players-coach. I was thinking Keenan. Not because he'd be good for the team, but because the wussy, no-hearted, lazy weasels deserve him for the crap they did this year.

Just woke up from a nap to hear Martin is fired. I think it was necessary in that Martin had everything (except a good goalie in game seven...) and couldn't make it happen. To me, they just don't seem to want the pressure. In games 5 and 7 (even w/ bad goals by Lalime), they were waiting for something to happen instead of making it happen. They should be as good and as tough as the Leafs w/ the additions of Varada and Ray but they have I guess this timidness that is death in the playoffs. Last year, should have been a stepping stone for them but they took nothing from the series vs. the Devils. They still don't have the hunger and will to win in the playoffs. I think Keenan would be a good idea or maybe Quenneville but this team needs a kick in the ass from somebody.

I think the word you guys are looking for is in lust with her.  ;)

Don't tell me how I feel! IT'S LOVE! I KNOW IT! JESSSSSIIIIEEEEEE YOU DON'T NEED THOSE CAFFEINE PILLS! YOU NEED ME INSTEAD!!!!!!!!

:lol: ... a classic episode. i liked loores von what's her name. i know i botched the name badly.

Martin's what I call a point A to point B coach...excellent at getting a team from scratch to contender, but for some reason (lack of fire, whatever) he can't push them over the top
-hasan

i was a little harsh on martin earlier today. i think has' assessment is right on about him. he's a nice coach. but he just seems to lack that thing that can push teams over the edge.

I can't believe Martin was fired. :blink: Lalime should've been the one to be kicked out of the team... :huh:

While I think it was Martin's time to go (though I think he should have done a Lemaire and resigned).... Lalime will also be gone. Not so much because he is a bad goalie (GAA of 1.95? Looks decent to me). But rather because this whole city has lost confidence in him. I received 6 e-mails today with that Cloutier beachball picture modified to put Lalime in nets. I heard one person say today they would never buy a ticket to a game again until Lalime is gone.

I said it earlier in the thread, and I say it now. There are a LOT of others that are escaping blame when it was their lazy asses that thought they could breeze through the series and still win.

Haha, speaking of that Cloutier picture, I've been trying to find that one for some time. Do you happen to have a link? :)

I think Alfredsson should be gone too. :blink: He was most unimpressive in game 7, and wasn't all that great all series, despite the fact that he was trying hard. A good player would be Todd White. I don't know if I'm the only one who likes him. I thought his play was pretty decent.

Haha, speaking of that Cloutier picture, I've been trying to find that one for some time. Do you happen to have a link? :)

I think Alfredsson should be gone too. :blink: He was most unimpressive in game 7, and wasn't all that great all series, despite the fact that he was trying hard. A good player would be Todd White. I don't know if I'm the only one who likes him. I thought his play was pretty decent.

Rollin... Rollin ... Rollin.. Cloutier :)

Hell I'd trade for Alfredsson.. he could be one of those good players/not good captain

types .. but he's GOTTA cut the hair first !!!

One of my Ranger friends was begging for Lalime to be traded to the Rangers...

he may be a step up from Dunham but to go from Ottawa's D to the Rangers D would

give Lalime a heart attack !!! :blink:

hey they could be real sweet and throw in Alfredsson and Redden too.. since they're

useless as well :D

Friesen IN Ottawa would be hella funny.. I'd be giving my Ottawa friends MUCH grief

on that !! :evil: