Suspensions Announced in AHL

HockyStr99

http://tsn.ca/ahl/news_story.asp?id=83068

Perezhogin suspended one year by AHL

TSN.ca Staff

5/7/2004

The American Hockey League has suspended Hamilton Bulldogs forward Alexander Perezhogin for the remainder of the playoffs and all of next season following a vicious stick swining incident in a playoff game last week.

Perezhogin was given a match penalty and immediately suspended by the league for what the AHL called a "a forceful, two-handed baseball-like swing" to the head of Cleveland Barons defenseman Garrett Stafford during Game 5 of their AHL North Division semifinal series on April 30.

Perezhogin, who is from Kazakhstan, read from a statement in Russian at a news conference in Hamilton and concluded in English with: ``Thank you. I'm very sorry.''

In his statement, translated into English, Perezhogin said: ``I deeply regret what happened in relation to this incident. I hope that Garrett Stafford's injuries are not serious and Garrett enjoys a full and speedy recovery.

``I have made efforts to speak with Garrett to convey my feeling. I have fully co-operated with the American Hockey League and the municipal authorities in Hamilton in relation to their investigation and I have answered all of their questions. I must say I did not intend to strike Garrett in the face and my intent was never to hurt or injure Garrett in any way.''

The AHL also suspended Stafford for six games for swinging his stick in a dangerous manner which struck the back of Perezhogin's helmet prior to the Bulldogs player retaliating with his stick.

"In determining the appropriate punishments, the AHL examined the game of April 30 in its entirety, reviewed medical reports from Hamilton General Hospital and the Barons' medical staff, and interviewed the players involved or their representatives." said AHL president David Andrews.

"While in my opinion the action of Mr. Stafford was clearly a contributing factor to the incident, the reaction by Mr. Perezhogin was indefensible in terms of both its nature and its real and potential consequences."

Andrews added that neither player had ever been disciplined by the AHL this season and Perezhogin did not incur a single major penalty or misconduct during the 2003-04 AHL season.

"This incident is fortunately not representative of the standard of competition that the American Hockey League and its players have stood for over the past 68 seasons," said Andrews, who pointed out that no other comparable incidents involving players of this nature had ever occurred previously in the AHL.

"Our players, coaches and fans have been shocked by the nature of this incident, and its widespread international exposure has dishonored our league and the sport of hockey."

Montreal general manager Bob Gainey said he wanted to speak with Perezhogin, his agent Don Meehan and the Bulldogs' management before deciding whether to pursue an appeal.

Gainey, who was at the news conference in Hamilton, said he did not anticipate such a lengthy suspension and his initial reaction to it was ``shock.''

In the game in question, Stafford and Perezhogin got tangled and went down in front of the Barons net. Stafford, while on the ice, took a one-handed swing over his head and his stick appeared to glance off Perezhogin's helmet.

The Hamilton forward, who was the first back to his feet, came back with a swing that struck Stafford in the face just as he got back to his knees.

Stafford went into convulsions and was taken to hospital. He suffered a Grade 3 concussion and needed 20 stitches to repair a facial cut.

Hamilton police are investigating the incident.

Barons coach Roy Sommer, whose team was subsequently eliminated by Hamilton, said Perezhogin should be banned from playing again in North America.

The Bulldogs are still in the AHL playoffs, down 2-0 to the Rochester Americans in the North Division final.

Oh fuk.

Kid's getting off scott free.

#1 - Montreal can likely avoid the suspension by calling him up to play in the NHL. There is no automatic transfer of suspensions.

#2 - Even if the NHL fights to enforce the suspension, Perezhogin will just go back and play in the Russian Elite league. *THEY* certainly won't enforce the suspension.

"Well officer, I meant to shoot him in the arm, but he moved and it sorta splattered his brains. Can I go now?"

I don't care where he was trying to hit him

#1 He raised his stick well over his head.

#2 He brought it down full force

#3 He hit Stafford in the face

#4 He's suspended for a year and should be arrested, deported and never let back in the country.

Perezhogin's suspension is about right, even though he probably will be able to get around it by going home. My issue is with Stafford's suspension. Only six games? He's just as guilty as Perezhogin in this situation, but he's basically getting off with a slap on the wrist. Some will say that he shouldn't be punished too severely because he didn't hurt Perezhogin, and some will probably say that his injury is punishment enough. Bullcrap. They both took extremely dangerous swings at each other, they should both have the book thrown at them. Stafford should have received at least a half-season suspension for his actions. But since he has bad aim, he gets a light sentence. Frankly, it makes Perezhogin's suspension look draconian by comparison, which it isn't. Not in this day and age of players having no respect for one another. A message needed to be sent, and it was. Too bad the message got diluted when they dropped the ball with Stafford.

"Well officer, I meant to shoot him in the arm, but he moved and it sorta splattered his brains. Can I go now?"

I don't care where he was trying to hit him

#1 He raised his stick well over his head.

#2 He brought it down full force

#3 He hit Stafford in the face

#4 He's suspended for a year and should be arrested, deported and never let back in the country.

"He shot at me, so in self defense I tried to shoot him in the arm but missed and killed him."

"He shot at me, so in self defense I tried to shoot him in the arm but missed and killed him."

There can be no self-defence claim here. Stafford was laying on the ice, pretty much helpless. Perezhogin was the one standing up and could have skated away.

There are two choices here. I should start a poll.

(1) Perezhogin was acting out of fear for his life. He had just been viciously attacked by Stafford who had tried to hit him in the head with the stick. Out of self-preservation and the belief that Stafford was about to attack him again, Perezhogin acted in self-defence, attacking Stafford before he could strike again.

or

(2) Perezhogin was pissed off. He had just been viciously attacked by Stafford who had tried to hit him in the head with the stick. Out of a need for revenge and in a fit of anger, Perezhogin lifted his stick up over his shoulder and brought it down like an ax into the face of Stafford.

I think #2 would get a lot more votes. Of course that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

I think its BS one guy gets suspended for a year for swinging at a guys head and the other guy gets 6 games for also swinging at the guys head. The result of the dangerous act does not make the act any less dangerous. Both should have very stiff penalties. For example, if I punch a guy in the face and he dies and another guy punches me in the face and I get a black eye its BS if I go to jail and he won't even get a fine.

-Scott

Wait a second, Didnt Bertuzzi get less of a suspension than this? Or is that undetermined because they might extend it during the next season?

What happens if u get a one year suspension and there is no hockey, does it carry into the first season of hockey or does it just go away?

[Wait a second, Didnt Bertuzzi get less of a suspension than this? Or is that undetermined because they might extend it during the next season?

What happens if u get a one year suspension and there is no hockey, does it carry into the first season of hockey or does it just go away? ]

I get the idea that whatever happens to Moore from the moment of the incident to the decision based on if he is ever able to play professional hockey again by his doctors will be the deciding factor on whether Todd Bertuzzi is ever able to play professional again.

If Moore finds that his career is over, Bertuzzi just may find that his is over as well. Which would be exactly what he deserves for the crap he pulled and the manner in which he pulled it.

I'm curious to know what's holding up the police in Vancouver making a decision on whether or not to charge Bertuzzi and haul him into court. :noclue:

IceThief

If Moore finds that his career is over, Bertuzzi just may find that his is over as well.

It would never go that far.... even if Moore is out for his whole career, Bert is back at some point next season. BTW - it is Butthead himself that will be making the decision.

As for what's holding up the Vancouver police, I believe it is the fact that Todd doesn't play for the Boston Bruins.

That video was a little different than i expected. .....looks like that other guy would have caused horrible damage if he made contact as welllll.....the first guy just miseed....i dont feel as bad for him...the Perezhogin slash hat much more power but he didnt look like he was purposly going for the face..more like anypart of the body. I am not trying to justify any of this but....i am just saying Perezhogin reacted..and the other guy played a huge role in the hit.

#2 - Even if the NHL fights to enforce the suspension, Perezhogin will just go back and play in the Russian Elite league. *THEY* certainly won't enforce the suspension.

Looks like the IIHF will decide if he can play in Russia...(I think)...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=83199&hubName=nhl

Hopefully they enforce the suspension.

EDIT: :rant:

Edited by sammyk