Kenyon Martin Gone

CHICO IS GOD

After it looked as though talks between the teams had been extinguished, the Denver Nuggets are on the verge of completing a sign-and-trade with the New Jersey Nets for All-Star forward Kenyon Martin, league sources told ESPN.com.

The Nuggets, according to sources, have agreed to send at least three future first-round picks to the Nets, who would sign Martin to a seven-year deal worth just over $90 million and then ship him to Denver.

The trade, sources said, is likely to be completed Thursday. It's believed that no other players are involved in the trade.

Denver has been pursuing a sign-and-trade with New Jersey for days in hopes that it could avoid signing Martin, a restricted free agent, to an offer sheet. But the talks stalled, with the Nets hoping to receive a power forward back from the Nuggets -- Nene, the burly Brazilian -- and the Nuggets hoping New Jersey would settle for a package featuring Nikoloz Tskitishvili and multiple draft picks.

Going the sign-and-trade route enables Denver to pay Martin for seven seasons instead of six, since only the Nets can sign Martin to a seven-year contract.

More importantly to the Nuggets, the sign-and-trade enables them to avoid tying up their free-agent funds for 15 days while New Jersey decided whether or not to match a Martin offer sheet. ESPN's David Aldridge reported Tuesday that the Nuggets, resigned to the fact that a deal seemed dead, were prepared to include a signing bonus worth at least $15 million in the maximum offer sheet they could extend to Martin -- a six-year package worth just over $82 million. Martin also received a similar offer sheet from the Atlanta Hawks.

If the Nuggets can complete the revived deal Thursday, they will have one of the deepest front lines in the league, with Martin slotting in at power forward between small forward Carmelo Anthony and center Marcus Camby. Or the Nuggets could elect to start Nene at center and bring Camby off the bench.

The trade would break up New Jersey's highly successful trio of Jason Kidd, Richard Jefferson and Martin, but the Nets -- with Jefferson headed soon for his own contract extension -- apparently prefer a package of good draft picks to the prospect of committing lucrative long-term deals to all three stars.

Sure the 3 1st round picks don't sound so bad but there are no gurantees that those picks will be players even close to Martin's ability. Also, if any of those picks turn out to be good players, they probably won't be signed because of stupid ownership. I'm afraid the Nets are slowly on the road back to those 30 win years, I guess it was fun while it lasted?

Good, now that they are leaving New Jersey, let them suck forever. Lets see what those crowds in Brooklyn will be like.

heh, I had the same thought sammy. :P

3 first round picks? Not bad at all. Granted they may not match up to Martin's talent, but this does allow the Nets some leeway in the future - if they have two first rounders in an upcoming draft, they could always trade one away with a package of players to land big talent... just look at the Shaq deal.

This was supposed to be because jefferson is going to need an extension soon, and they dont have the money for both from what i understand, but i'd rather have martin.

It's amazing the different directions the Nets and the Devils have gone in since the breakup of YankeeNets, the Devils have an owner that is a fan of the team, an owner that is committed to staying in Jersey and now the team is suddenly throwing around money like there's no tomorrow, while the Nets have an owner that couldn't get out of Jersey fast enough, an owner that knows next to nothing about basketball and the net result is they're pinching pennies with their second-best player.

The Nets are already a disgrace though, they have been for me since they got Scott fired then proceeded to win like 14 in a row after the players stopped dogging it :angry: Funny thing is the Nets getting Calipari fired is what soured me on basketball in large part, and the Scott thing only confirmed anew that the players run the league, 95% of the coaches and GM's are just there for show.

Edited by Hasan4978

I heard that at least 1 of the draft picks is from the Wizards, which will almost surely be a lottery pick and I think ther eis 1 more that has the potential to become a lottery pick..if thats the case it may work out for the Nets afterall

I heard that at least 1 of the draft picks is from the Wizards, which will almost surely be a lottery pick and I think ther eis 1 more that has the potential to become a lottery pick..if thats the case it may work out for the Nets afterall

I think it's one pick from the Nuggets, and then two picks from a pool of the Sixers, Wizards and Clippers. But there are also some lottery restrictions on what picks the Nets can or cannot get.

Unfortunately, none of those picks are for the 2004 draft. And Jason Kidd isn't getting any younger.

<JESTER>

Actually this trade is worse than it seems they get 3 number 1's, one from the Nuggets one from the Clippers and one from 76ers.

BUT they can't use the clippers number one if it is going to be in the top 14 picks overall, the 76ers if its going to be in the top 8 overall or the clippers if it's gonna be in the top 5 overall.

The Nets just gave away a great player and any hope of a championship in the next 5 years over cash.