Cory Schneider and bad angle weak shots

'7'

This is pretty much the dumbest thread ever.

Yep, let's scrap the Schneider plan.  I don't want him re-signed, either.  :doh1:

We might as well offer contracts to Jonas Hiller, Jaroslav Halak or Bryzgalov this offseason, because Cory isn't the long term answer.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's quite as cut and dried as that, Tri. I think people view the Oilers as the only model for a rebuild. I'd be more inclined to try an Avalanche style rebuild. Their better players retired (Sakic, Roy) and they went into a brief point at the bottom and, using guys they drafted from there like Gabriel Landeskog and Matt Duchesne they've steadily climbed back into contention. They weren't that bad for that long and they didn't get the "home run" draft picks like Sidney Crosby or Evgeny Malkin, nor did they stay at the bottom grabbing every undersized offensive player to attract attention in the CHL like the Oilers have. That is the kind of rebuild I'd aspire towards.

The Avalanche also had a bunch of terrible players and again they are not out of the woods yet (47% Fenwick Tied, 48.6% of the shots when Tied).  They also had a year in there where they made the playoffs when they had no business making the playoffs.  They also nabbed an excellent player in the 2nd round in Ryan O'Reilly - that's the kind of thing it takes.

We don't need to use PP time as a measure of zone time. Anyway, Schneider has a comparable in Vancouver, and it is Luongo. Cory's stats were miles better. 

It seems you are almost doing a disservice to Brodeur by talking about a goalie on a great team because Brodeur has been on very good teams almost his entire career. Good team or not, Cory Schneider was excellent during his time there. Ridiculously good. 

The thing is there have been a lot of great teams, and that doesn't necessarily mean there numbers were good. Osgood is an easy example. Fleury continues to put up average numbers at best. Niemi in Chicago and now San Jose, Emery in Ottawa, etc.

My comments were only in response to 'pressure' in Vancouver being (possibly) less. I was making the point that there is an argument for that.

Like I said, Cory needs to do very little to sway me to say "SIGN HIM Long term!!!" I'd like to see him return to form for a few games before the end of the season. I think that's fair. If not, he has another year anyways.

The Avalanche also had a bunch of terrible players and again they are not out of the woods yet (47% Fenwick Tied, 48.6% of the shots when Tied).  They also had a year in there where they made the playoffs when they had no business making the playoffs.  They also nabbed an excellent player in the 2nd round in Ryan O'Reilly - that's the kind of thing it takes.

Yeah and that's the kind of thing we used to have. We've nabbed excellent players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds in the past (Patrik Elias 2nd round 51st overall, Adam Henrique 3rd round 82nd overall). We've already got loads of marginal players on our team whether we want to admit they're marginal or not and several of them are here for a reasonably long haul. The Avs may not be fully out of the woods as far as being outright contenders, but they are certainly miles ahead of the Oilers after starting a slump way way later.