Devils resign eric gelinas to 2 year deal

justintime2989

Gotta agree with everyone on this being the best place for Devils discussion. I might not contribute as much but I'm on pretty much every day since I joined in 2007. I've learned a so much on here about a game I thought I knew everything about. Some really smart dudes on here and I appreciate it.

It just kind of has a real serious tone to it sometimes and I'm not that serious of a person.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

Haha, I'm cringing thinking about the things Gelinas will do with the puck.  I'm just not sure he can even be good offensively 5 on 5 but we'll see.  I'm not sure his partner will be that good either.

Even if Gelinas himself isn't carrying the puck himself much, a more uptempo style of play might put him into position to use his shot more often at even strength. Then again it may also expose the fact that he has no clue what to do outside of the split second when a puck is coming to him for a one-timer. Either way this deal is no big gamble for us to find out.

Since this thread has already been derail, I'm gonna babble.

on topic

Gelly,

until this year, I thought he had more value to another team then ours.  Yes, he has a shot. that's about it.  No knock on heart / effort / desire or that kinda attribute.  Just doesn't seem to get D.  Just doesn't seem creative enough on O to offset his D liability.  There was a stretch where he played well though.  I think he was paired with Larsson for a stretch(maybe 5 - 10 games).  I've been saying to package him for a while so the people near my seats so when he does play well, it is discussed.  Not sure if it was comfort with the same partner or if he was just used correctly.  And while he is still relatively young, it's about the point where it clicks or it just doesn't and we have a plethora of young D behind him, and ahead of him.

Speaking of the more value for other franchises.  My next point

I understand it is a new regime, I expect change, i expect a new philosophy.  Shero has been saying the rights things.  I think he handled the house cleaning fairly well.  I am just afraid that I haven't been hearing enough about defense in general.  No, I'm not talking about getting a big bruising defensman (although i do think you need some size,  can't all me small and i'm not saying that's what we have) but I am just talking about a team philosophy of commitment to D.  I just haven't heard it(and with the quality we have in Cory (please keeping working on the puck handling, it is so underated, such an asset that is sorely missed) why hang him out to dry?)  Maybe closer to camp, maybe it's just to fire up the fans because defense just isn't sexy to talk about (and no, I didn't want Sevens to be coach(sorry PK) and that was one of the very few positives about Lou leaving (not that I think he would have given him the job, but I think the break was easier, but you don't want players with jersey hanging in the rafters to be on the outs with team (and know I don't think Marty is on the outs, he is in a transition, thinking more yogi / and the boss)) maybe it will be an attacking D like when the PK had almost as many goals as the gave up.  I will reserve judgement till I see the on ice product, it's just a note in my head at this point.

I expect Merill to take a step forward, I expect JJ to keep improving.  The shootout goals show the skill,  Can he stay healthy,  everytime he seems to get going, something happens.  i'm not worried about larsson,  I think he has been getting the nieds treatment (not that I think he has talent, casue I don't know many who do, this fanbase has been absolutely spoiled by some of the players we've seen) learn to be comfortable on D and the O will come.  I do think he gets the game,  Not sure about qb'ing the pp, but I feel comfortable (most of the times,  there are some hiccups) with him on the ice in any situation.  Henrique is a wildcard for me.  He needs to start taking the next step (I think he has another level, or maybe he just had a couple clutch goals in him and he is what he is which is good 2 way, but not great)

As for this board. As a longtime (off and on) poster, it was the best place for devils info.  I go to TG's first now, but when you wade through all the crap, there is absolute gold here.  never liked HF and hated when posters tried to bring some of their crap here.  ILWT is ok (I like john nice guy, pleasant to talk to, met him at one of the ice cream socials) but more hit or miss for me,  too analytical for me (I like a mix, but yes, I do believe my lying eyes)  and I'm not even sure if there are any other sites I am aware of.

but, this site is brutal to to wade thru at times.  I am a smart ass,  I admit it, I mostly post to either point out that someone said something beyond stupid, or to make a funny (and occasionally just babble in the wrong post and put an end to threads).  When this team was winning, the negativity is tough, nowadays it is mind boggling.  how many fvcking threads do I have to hear Marty or Lou bashing.  This team isn't original 6, we don't have a ton of tradition, but we do now, some of us remember when we didn't, why the need for some to sh!t on tradition is beyond me.  Tweeks here and there, sure fine, I understand, but it is overbearing when you don't read the board every day it gets repetitive when you do the bulk read.  The site was too nazi ish (yes, I invoked goodwin) at times, but there does need to be some order.  Tri was right in his first post in this thread.  

Game day threads are a joke some days, every now and then i'd like to make a point about a particular game, but have no desire when there are 3 (or however few) people chatting and make the thread useless for actual discussion of the game.  Face it people,  not all of you are as funny as you think you are.  The jinx type threads?  Stop it,  there is too much negativity on this board as it is, and saying afterwards that you didn't mean it or that you were venting just doesn't help.  I know, who the hell am I,  no one, but it's fvcking annoying. i'm sure I'm not the only one.  I've lived thru GR talking about seeing in their eyes or waitresses or whatever, it gets old real fast.

There are too many posters that don't have the right blend of when to be serious and when to go off on the tangents.  

I think I have all of the ()'s balanced.  sorry if I don't cause I didn't proofread this crap,  don't expect many of you to read the whole thing, why should I?

looking forward to this season.  it will be interesting.  like some of the moves, lets see what sticks and what we can build on.  As long as we aren't out of the playoffs 7 years, we can stand a rebuild

Joe

• Like 2

On Gelly: I'd like to see him paired with Lars. They played well together right when Gelly got called up, and due to coaching, injuries, and bad luck never got a chance to build on that. If Gelly's a disaster and needs to get benched or buried on the 3rd pairing, change it up, but IMO Lars is ready to play with anybody, and maybe this maximizes our assets. Rafalski was better with Stevens than he would have been with anyone else, and Nieds got a lot out of White. It's not always about putting your best d together and your worst.

As for the board, I think the team has a lot to do with the posting. They're bad, they were going to be bad when they lost their best offensive players in back to back years and didn't gave the draft picks to fix it, and they're a boring kind of bad. There's not much to say. The people who have a lot to say are often repeating the same stuff, making ridiculous pronouncements (the obsessive love and hate for Lou and Marty that is completely devoid of nuance), or both. I post a lot less because I have nothing valuable to say. I read less because much of what's on here is the same. This offseason is the first time in awhile the team has been interesting. I don't know that that will translate to on-ice success, but it certainly adds to the discussion.

In any case, complaints or not, this is still where I turn to talk about the Devils and learn about the Devils. It's a special board, and we should be grateful to DM, MSweet, and Rowdy for making it work. We should also do our best to keep it vibrant, respectful, and interesting, admittedly a more difficult task when our team isn't particularly vibrant or interesting.