New York Mets 2016 Season Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

Go fvck yourselves baseball gods.  And god am I sick of how friggin' delicate baseball players have become.  

I concur CR. FGY Baseball gods. It's amazing how quickly things can come crashing down for us. Such an amazing high from last nights game...then Harvey, now Thor. 

One by one they're picking off our staff. I can't watch the game at the moment but I'm sure it's not just "arm fatigue". And Matz spur is supposedly large so...I have no idea how long he can hold on before something else happens, or the pain is unbearable.

And of course the bats complete the suffering on a miserable night as usual failing with first and third, nobody out when as usual Dusty brings in nine billion pitchers to lull our bats to sleep.

And Murphy with the DP turn so Gary doesn't get to bitch about his defense :P

Again, sh!t-can the Mets' medical staff.  And the trainers.  Just because.  

I almost forgot this is the SECOND game this year both Thor and Cespedes have left with injuries in the same game.  Second time!  What kind of odds would you get on that?

Unfortunately with each time the odds for disaster increases.

Edited by NJDevs4978

It must be the Wilpons. I mean look for how long Jay Horwitz has been employed. Despite years of lolmets laughingstock moments. Look how long they kept Bernazard around. Heck it took the guy taking off his shirt and challenging someone to a back alley brawl to lose his job.

Ray Ramirez must be a Wilpon favorite in some way. Maybe Fred is close to some doctors at the hospital the Mets use...whatever it is it's not every day that you see this kind of incompetence tolerated for this long without some sort of nepotism.

4 minutes ago, '7' said:

It must be the Wilpons. I mean look for how long Jay Horwitz has been employed. Despite years of lolmets laughingstock moments. Look how long they kept Bernazard around. Heck it took the guy taking off his shirt and challenging someone to a back alley brawl to lose his job.

Ray Ramirez must be a Wilpon favorite in some way. Maybe Fred is close to some doctors at the hospital the Mets use...whatever it is it's not every day that you see this kind of incompetence tolerated for this long without some sort of nepotism.

But our hospital has the best doctors in NYC, or at least that's what we get told :lol:

Yeah I get tired of hearing how great our trainers and doctors are when we have all sorts of misdiagnosed and recurring/worsening/undiagnosed injuries.  This goes back at least to the Ryan Church fiasco several years ago (flying him cross-country with a concussion).

Edited by NJDevs4978

Though the Harvey injury itself...isn't that just something that's difficult to diagnose? Maybe that shouldnt be laid totally at the feet of our trainers/docs. What he's getting surgery for isnt really an injury...it's just the way his body is.

But when it comes to injuries, this team needs a clean start and a whole new conservative philosophy.

2 minutes ago, '7' said:

Though the Harvey injury itself...isn't that just something that's difficult to diagnose? Maybe that shouldnt be laid totally at the feet of our trainers/docs. What he's getting surgery for isnt really an injury...it's just the way his body is.

But when it comes to injuries, this team needs a clean start and a whole new conservative philosophy.

Well Bora$ and Bora$ mouthpiece Jon Heyman claims it's been bothering him the whole year.  So either Harvey didn't say anything (possible), or we misdiagnosed it thinking it was something he could pitch through.

Just win one of the next two and I'll be happy heading into the break. Provided Thor and Cespedes arent anything that is going to need prolonged DL stints. I think Ces will be back for the Phillies series.

With Thor...not so optimistic. When there's smoke there's fire and there is A LOT of smoke here.

5 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well Bora$ and Bora$ mouthpiece Jon Heyman claims it's been bothering him the whole year.  So either Harvey didn't say anything (possible), or we misdiagnosed it thinking it was something he could pitch through.

Well something has been bothering him...but whatever it was it wasnt plainly obvious and it wasnt a common baseball injury either. He had his velocity, he did not have his control, and he did not have anything glaringly wrong with his arm.

Verrett just doesnt have the ability to pitch to this Nats lineup. Babe Murphy with another RBI. Mets had Scherzer stumbling early but couldnt deliver blow, now it's 3-1 in the 5th, this game is lost.

Just win tomorrow

Mets can't count on Verrett to be any good this year as a starter...that's a shame, because he had moments last season, but he's simply giving up too many baserunners in 2016.  Sandy's gotta go out and get a veteran who might not be having a good year, but won't cost much and might benefit from a change of scenery.  

Murphy is literally Barry Bonds. This is ridiculous.

Or at least Jeff Kent. But you can't let him kick dirt in your face. I know it's the Wilpons style to say "thank you may I have another" but this team needs to show guts. Cant let the Nats walk all over us and laugh about it

Time to DFA Bastardo. He put on a Mets uniform and suddenly lost any ability to pitch in the big leagues. It's just not going to happen with him with him. This signing made sense...but sometimes guys just lose it asap as a Met...Bay is another one.

11 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Mets can't count on Verrett to be any good this year as a starter...that's a shame, because he had moments last season, but he's simply giving up too many baserunners in 2016.  Sandy's gotta go out and get a veteran who might not be having a good year, but won't cost much and might benefit from a change of scenery.  

You're probably right but I'd like to see him get three or four starts in a row first just to see if he improves with a more set role.  They really don't have any other in-house options to go to at this point anyway, so it's either go with Verrett or find someone from the outside.

11 hours ago, '7' said:

Murphy is literally Barry Bonds. This is ridiculous.

Or at least Jeff Kent. But you can't let him kick dirt in your face. I know it's the Wilpons style to say "thank you may I have another" but this team needs to show guts. Cant let the Nats walk all over us and laugh about it

Just think it could have been worse...Cespedes could have been there too.

Edited by NJDevs4978

10 hours ago, '7' said:

Time to DFA Bastardo. He put on a Mets uniform and suddenly lost any ability to pitch in the big leagues. It's just not going to happen with him with him. This signing made sense...but sometimes guys just lose it asap as a Met...Bay is another one.

Sandy has really had some rotten luck with a numbers of his middle and lower-tier signings for sure:  Chris Young, John Mayberry Jr., Michael Cuddyer, Frank Francisco, Antonio Bastardo, Alejandro De Aza, Shaun Marcum..and some of those signings did make sense on paper.  But no one can rightly say Sandy's done an awesome job since becoming the Met GM.  He's clearly done some good things, but as we all know, he inherited an awful lot of arms and got some killer luck at the right times.  

I'll never be a huge believer in Flores, but if he's a bit flustered by circumstances right now, I can understand why.  He's not consistent, but he slashed .289/.353/.421 for June, and is slashing .379/.406/.931 for July.  We know he has limitations, both offensively and defensively...but man, it's gotta be weird for him to lose his job to a guy who is a clear question mark in Reyes.  For the first time, even though I'm not a Flores guy, I agree with capo's take that Flores is being screwed (for the moment) by his franchise.  Reyes has done nothing to earn everyday playing time from the moment he signed, but it's been given to him.  I get why, in that the Mets should find out ASAP how much Reyes really has left, which means he has to play...but Flores has to be thinking "Geez, I've actually been hitting and my numbers pass the eye-test, and I'm just shoved aside for a guy who isn't really much of an upgrade at all."

Has, re:  Verrett...it's the BBs that concern me.  I don't have any confidence in Warthen to get that corrected, because I have no idea what Warthen actually does.  I would still prefer an underperforming vet who has a shot to turn things around...though yeah, I guess the Mets might as well give Verrett July to show something.  At least he won't drain the limited asset pool.

6 minutes ago, '7' said:

Enough. 97mph into Murphy's eye socket. Just do it already and make it stop.

Another knock on Warthen.  Maybe have your guys throw inside once in a while?  Especially hitters who are obviously comfortable against your overrated pitching staff?  Again, does this guy actually do anything?

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Another knock on Warthen.  Maybe have your guys throw inside once in a while?  Especially hitters who are obviously comfortable against your overrated pitching staff?  Again, does this guy actually do anything?

I have a feeling the edict comes from the Wilpons. We never once made Chipper or Brian Jordan or Jeter uncomfortable. When the media and fans finally get nuts over it our responses are clumsy and pathetic.