2018 JETS

Beezer34

8 minutes ago, '7' said:

I saw somebody who was beleaguered and confused in Patricia. No adjustment made at all. The Lions outright died on the field. That's a very bad sign that players apparently are not buying in early, because even with bad coaches or borderline weird guys (like Mangini) usually year one you have players buy in and try to toe the line. 

Unfortunately, teams sometimes think that poaching someone off the staff of a highly successful team will somehow automatically cause that someone to bring the winning over with him.  In ways it's almost lazy thinking...if the Lions had REALLY done their homework, they would've realized that Puppet got in the way a LOT in NE, even during their most successful years, and that the Pats have really succeeded in spite of his presence there...like I've always maintained, having the best QB of your generation who can somehow do his thing no matter who he's throwing to or how old he gets has always made a lot of people up in NE look good.  Seattle was marching right down the field on a game-winning drive in the Super Bowl, then Pete Carroll had to try to prove to everyone how much smarter he was than everyone else with that god-awful play call.  I can point out PLENTY of games where Puppet's Ds came up puny, especially in playoff games...even in games where they somehow got away with it.  Even when Puppet's Ds were decent, it was really the offense being so prolific that helped them...forcing opposing offenses to go for it on 4th down, or to pass up FG tries to try to keep a drive alive, etc...and opposing offenses definitely have an odd way of self-destructing against the Pats (dropped passes, unforced errors, etc).  For years the Pats have scored 450-550 points...that's a hell of a luxury to bank on, season in and season out. 

Part of the problem is that it seems like BB's coaches think they can go to wherever they're going to and become Little Bills.  Only BB can get away with being BB.  For these Little Bill wannabes, I think that gets very stale very quickly. 

I think Puppet lasts the season (simply because coaches don't get canned much in season), but I think he might be toast after that.  Especially since the Lions don't see themselves as building.  They wanted to make the playoffs this year, and some noise once they got there.

16 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Not really sure, they obviously didn't comment with specifics on the air and I didn't find much in the Post article.  You'd have to assume at worst there was a settlement but who knows.

In all likelihood the parties are close to a settlement, and I'm going to guess it's for nuisance value.  Joe would have been fired if there was even the possibility that real dirty laundry would be aired. 

3 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

What a shocker, Jets believe their own press and have another flat game after a big win again, regular as clockwork.

It never fails under Bowles. They were cocky and chirpy and not even close to being ready to execute. Darnold overall will be fine but you have to live with the rookie QB mistakes for now. The one in the endzone after a great turnover just can't happen though. That hurts. But credit Miami they have a great secondary too. The Herndon drop. The Anderson fumble. Settling for FG's and going backwards when they were in the red zone...horrible. All bad playcalling and bad execution. Every time the door was left open for them they did zilch

I don't know wtf happened on that endzone INT whether it was a bad throw by Darnold or just Pryor getting held up and not turning around/looking for the ball in time.  The other INT was definitely a rookie mistake but he was otherwise fine, it would help if the receivers and TE's could ****ing catch an hold onto the ball.  Par for the course on a flat game...not going out of bounds before the half when they had two chances to do so cost them multiple opportunities to punch it in from the three-yard line.  Ball security was an issue, defense was an issue particularly on the 3rd and 19 where they left the one part of the field open you can't leave open, right over the middle.  You have to figure they were gonna try a safe dumpoff to set up for the FG there.  As usual Skrine stunk up the joint against the Fish.

5 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I don't know wtf happened on that endzone INT whether it was a bad throw by Darnold or just Pryor getting held up and not turning around/looking for the ball in time.  The other INT was definitely a rookie mistake but he was otherwise fine, it would help if the receivers and TE's could ****ing catch an hold onto the ball.  Par for the course on a flat game...not going out of bounds before the half when they had two chances to do so cost them multiple opportunities to punch it in from the three-yard line.  Ball security was an issue, defense was an issue particularly on the 3rd and 19 where they left the one part of the field open you can't leave open, right over the middle.  You have to figure they were gonna try a safe dumpoff to set up for the FG there.  As usual Skrine stunk up the joint against the Fish.

Not establishing any sort of run game hurt as well, but I guess credit the Miami front on that. Today seemed like a game we could've used a fullback to help out a but. Dolphins got there mighty quickly.

A good reliable hands TE is so critical for a rookie QB and we don't have one, not making things easier for Sam.

Was Kearse even on the field and targeted today? May have pretty much not have been ready and only used as a decoy. Should've never even been in uniform

Games like this really confirm to me Bowles is just not the right man for the job. Once they lose to Cleveland there is going to be a lot of Fire Bowles stuff coming from the Jets fans

Edited by '7'

This is going to be a real test for Darnold. Williams defense is no joke and it's a short week on the road. The Browns are the most due franchise. 

I hate playing Tyrod Taylor. Jets always are made to look like fools against QB's that can run. Even Tannehill punked them last week several times

4 hours ago, '7' said:

This is going to be a real test for Darnold. Williams defense is no joke and it's a short week on the road. The Browns are the most due franchise. 

I hate playing Tyrod Taylor. Jets always are made to look like fools against QB's that can run. Even Tannehill punked them last week several times

Taylor would also kill the Dolphins.  We did a collective sigh of relief when he was traded. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Taylor would also kill the Dolphins.  We did a collective sigh of relief when he was traded. 

Damn right. I hated Tyrod, he always killed us. If he played the Dolphins 16 games a year, he’d be a lock for Canton lol.

Edited by MadDog2020

Of course now Darnold is crashing to earth just as Baker's having a star turn.  But the real story of this game is AGAIN the stupid, undisciplined, sloppy football.  Even though it didn't turn right away you knew those stupid penalties on Crowell and Trumaine Johnson in the second quarter were a sign that this team had their heads up their rear ends yet again.

And there it is...who didn't think we were blowing this game after the two-point conversion fiasco?  Hell who didn't think we were blowing this game when Robby Anderson handed them great field position with his typical carelessness?

Only took two weeks to go from oh wow this could be a new day here back to SOJ...AS USUAL.  At least I made the right pick in the board suicide pool :P

And not for nothing but how in the hell do you completely wuss out on that drive at 14-14 when you finally start moving the ball.  Only Bowles would put the brakes on and play for a three-point lead with seven minutes in the game with a D that hadn't made a stop since Baker came in the game.

Edited by NJDevs4978

8 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And there it is...who didn't think we were blowing this game after the two-point conversion fiasco?  Hell who didn't think we were blowing this game when Robby Anderson handed them great field position with his typical carelessness?

Only took two weeks to go from oh wow this could be a new day here back to SOJ...AS USUAL.  At least I made the right pick in the board suicide pool :P

The coach has got to go after the season's over.  He's 100% all wrong for this team at this time (though it's hard to find a team that WOULD make sense for Bowles...guy is just passionless and seemingly incapable of maintaining any level of discipline).  This is not the guy who will take the Jets to where they need to go.   

When you see something like last night, especially having it unfold the way it did with being up 14-0 and having a rookie QB step in and do it and embarrass you like that, you just sort of know that the season just got completely flushed down the toilet and there is no hope for any sort of stabilization and recovery. Why should it happen? It's never happened under Bowles. The same undisciplined play persists. The personal foul penalties are embarrassing. The lack of adjustments. 

This can be looked at as a crossroads for Bowles. It's not. It's a point of no return. We're now 0-2 in the conference. The next game in Jax is totally unwinnable because that team actually has leadership and direction. This is going to be a 4-12/5-11 wasted year. Bowles just cannot be entrusted with Darnolds progress going forward. It's a mistake

1 hour ago, '7' said:

When you see something like last night, especially having it unfold the way it did with being up 14-0 and having a rookie QB step in and do it and embarrass you like that, you just sort of know that the season just got completely flushed down the toilet and there is no hope for any sort of stabilization and recovery. Why should it happen? It's never happened under Bowles. The same undisciplined play persists. The personal foul penalties are embarrassing. The lack of adjustments. 

This can be looked at as a crossroads for Bowles. It's not. It's a point of no return. We're now 0-2 in the conference. The next game in Jax is totally unwinnable because that team actually has leadership and direction. This is going to be a 4-12/5-11 wasted year. Bowles just cannot be entrusted with Darnolds progress going forward. It's a mistake

I think the only thing that saves Bowles is finishing above .500, and even that's not a guarantee.  That's probably been the plan all along, perhaps in the hopes of one of the Harbaughs coming available.   

At least finally - FINALLY - the media, which has been utterly soft on Bowles is starting to get the knives out starting with Vaccaro in the Post.

This whole calamity falls square on the coach’s shoulders, all of it, from the scared-of-their-own-shadow game plan to the surplus of penalties that sabotaged them up and down the entirety of the game, up to the carefree culture that pervades this team and allows two game-changing lapses in judgment and decorum. We keep hearing these will be eradicated from this franchise on Bowles’ watch.

Things will change, he keeps saying, going on four years now.

And yet: Nothing changes. Ever. The Jets were reckless and stupid and without any kind of self-discipline in Bowles’ first three years, and they remain the same lawless train wreck now. 

Edited by NJDevs4978

On 9/21/2018 at 3:46 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

At least finally - FINALLY - the media, which has been utterly soft on Bowles is starting to get the knives out starting with Vaccaro in the Post.

The Jaguars game would be such a key pick me up performance...unfortunately they had their post Patriots let down now in losing to Tennessee so I can't really see them taking us lightly

It's not really good form to fire a coach mid season and so much is already in place that these kind of coaching changes rarely make a big difference. You can only have so much of an upheaval in terms of schemes and such. But I actually would be in favor of booting him if we end up around 1-4 or 1-5. Because at that point he's gone anyway. Why not see what a Kevin Greene or Jeremy Bates can do at the helm. The season would be totally down the toilet at that point anyway. Heck it's almost totally unsalveagable as it is

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24785901/new-york-jets-call-pittsburgh-steelers-leveon-bell

Jets made a call about Bell. No offer or anything. Wonder how serious they are about this. Sealing the deal for Mack...that would've been a smart move. But Leveon Bell right now reeks a bit of desperation. He is a luxury item that we don't need. He's a final piece of the puzzle to some team. We have a lot more pieces to go.

Sure he'd be an upgrade over both Crowell and Powell but behind our line he's not going to be as effective as he normally would be. 

Edited by '7'

An expected loss but once again Todd Bowles, geez...he gambles before the half when he probably should punt and go into the locker room down 13 though I can't get on him too much for that cause the play worked, it just bouced off Enunwa's fingertips.  But the playcalling in the fourth quarter was ridiculous.  How do you go for a FG down 22 with thirteen minutes left in the game inside the twenty?  You're not getting three MORE scores with two two-point conversions, just go for the freaking first down!  Then once again punting with under five minutes remaining down 'only' two scores was a redux of Pittsburgh last year.

This is the end for Bowles. He's 11-26 in his last 37 and makes the same mistakes over and over again. There is talent in that secondary. Good talent. And Bortles carves us up like a Thanksgiving Turkey with 10 days to prepare for him

The same clock management and situational understanding persist. Punting when he should be going for it. Kicking field goals when he should be going for it

Nobody expected them to win at Jacksonville but a decent effort was expected. They got manhandled and embarrassed. Bowles and Rodgers are absolute befuddled clowns. Bates I'm souring on.

I don't see a turnaround coming. They're not competent enough for one.

You could see after the meltdown of year 2, 2016 that Bowles had to go. And yet here we are in year 4 and he's still a fool. He's not a Ryan or a Kotite. He's stoic and serious and looks like a guy who should be taken seriously. And maybe that's why they've been patient with him because he looks like he should be a good coach and succeed. Nonetheless he remains a fool and in over his head