Should the Devils trade Palmieri?

njbuff

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Also fair to remember that Palms averages 29 goals and 27 assists per 82 GP, on 13.4% shooting.  His cap hit is $4.65 million per season over the next three years.  And he's only 27 years old. 

If you had to go try to sign a UFA to put up similar numbers, does anyone think you're getting him for less than that $4.65 mil per year?  It's not like he hasn't lived up to his deal or is any kind of detriment.  Don't even understand why the OP has suddenly decided that friggin' Palms of all people is not worthy of playing on a contending team.  He's a solidly good player on a very reasonable deal for what he brings (and in fairness, it seems like everyone outside of the OP gets that). 

To play devil's advocate here, is Palmieri one of those players that if he's not scoring goals he's not doing much else for you?  I sense not, although if he plays 80 games and puts up less than 20 goals and 35 points next year, which isn't that far fetched, we might be changing our tune.

Still,  he likely will not bring you back a real quality asset in return.  At best something like a first round pick from a top team at the trade deadline.  And his cap hit does not prevent the Devils from doing something they otherwise would want to, unless we're talking about signing Tavares and trading for and then signing Erik Karlsson.

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

To play devil's advocate here, is Palmieri one of those players that if he's not scoring goals he's not doing much else for you?  I sense not, although if he plays 80 games and puts up less than 20 goals and 35 points next year, which isn't that far fetched, we might be changing our tune.

Still,  he likely will not bring you back a real quality asset in return.  At best something like a first round pick from a top team at the trade deadline.  And his cap hit does not prevent the Devils from doing something they otherwise would want to, unless we're talking about signing Tavares and trading for and then signing Erik Karlsson.

He's played 80+ games twice as a Devil and has put up similar paces each season here, and is still pretty young.  Seems pretty farfetched to think his production would fall off that drastically (though we've seen it happen with others seemingly out of nowhere, so I can't fully rule it out...sometimes guys have snakebitten kind of seasons).  Hopefully you're not making the mistake of thinking that his Anaheim numbers have any relevance, as to why we might expect a downturn.  He never got anywhere near the ice time there that he gets as a Devil. 

I don't see him as a one-dimensional he's either-scoring-or-useless guy either.  He plays with a certain fire and energy (though at times seems to be a little gassed), and has a knack for scoring clutch goals.  I don't make him out to be more than he is...he's not a star, but he's a good player and one I find easy to root for.   

And yeah, I agree, unless you're moving him as part of a package for something big, I'm not sure how much you're getting back for him...the fact that he's been a solid and consistent (from year to year) player for three years in NJ makes me want to keep him.  There's really not much reason to move him. 

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

To play devil's advocate here, is Palmieri one of those players that if he's not scoring goals he's not doing much else for you? 

He definitely is, but what he does for the salary he has is very reasonable given who he plays with. And if we traded him we'd immediately start looking for a RW that can shoot the puck to play with Hall.

20 minutes ago, Marshall said:

And if we traded him we'd immediately start looking for a RW that can shoot the puck to play with Hall.

Only until we get Poolparty and Joey Anderson wins the Calder next year.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marshall said:

He definitely is, but what he does for the salary he has is very reasonable given who he plays with. And if we traded him we'd immediately start looking for a RW that can shoot the puck to play with Hall.

Agreed, you'd basically be looking to replace him with himself. Good shooter, not terribly expensive. Maybe you could get a guy who stays upright more. Spends more time on the ice than a guy in the morgue. Or Miles Wood, and that's saying something. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Agreed, you'd basically be looking to replace him with himself. Good shooter, not terribly expensive. Maybe you could get a guy who stays upright more. Spends more time on the ice than a guy in the morgue. Or Miles Wood, and that's saying something. 

Thank you, can always use a good laugh.