Jump to content

2019 New York Mets Season Thread


Recommended Posts

Pete Alonso makes the team...as does Dom Smith. 

It's funny, almost like deGrom, this is a situation where the Mets could've done the "typical Met thing" and again been justified.  Smith raked in spring training too and if the Mets wanted to spin this as "Well we want to give Smith a look to start 2019" (though we'd all know that a huge part of the reasoning would've been to control Alonso's service time), we couldn't have really beaten them up too much over it.

I'm OK with this move (especially since BVW is at least showing signs of legit follow-through lately), but since the Mets took this tact, I say they HAVE to let Alonso hit the ground running and let him play damned near every day...sorry Dom.  From what I remember reading, having Alonso start the season with the Mets from Opening Day was only going to gain the Mets about 12 games or so of his playing.  So I say if you thought enough of him to go this far outside your usual "All about $$$" decision-making box, then you play him, A LOT. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL wow they won a frigging game, throw the confetti. In seriousness, congrats to deGrom, Alonso and McNeil for making the All-Star team, they're about the only things left worth watching.

Jay Bruce getting the game winning RBI off of Diaz is pretty much as Mets as it gets.

Love Alonso. I mean they say the ball jumps off some guys bats. It explodes off Alonso's bats. He hits home runs that are on the level of Stanton/Judge sometimes. The guy is going to be a terror to pi

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Pete Alonso makes the team...as does Dom Smith. 

It's funny, almost like deGrom, this is a situation where the Mets could've done the "typical Met thing" and again been justified.  Smith raked in spring training too and if the Mets wanted to spin this as "Well we want to give Smith a look to start 2019" (though we'd all know that a huge part of the reasoning would've been to control Alonso's service time), we couldn't have really beaten them up too much over it.

I'm OK with this move (especially since BVW is at least showing signs of legit follow-through lately), but since the Mets took this tact, I say they HAVE to let Alonso hit the ground running and let him play damned near every day...sorry Dom.  From what I remember reading, having Alonso start the season with the Mets from Opening Day was only going to gain the Mets about 12 games or so of his playing.  So I say if you thought enough of him to go this far outside your usual "All about $$$" decision-making box, then you play him, A LOT. 

Curious how Alonso deals with a few days out of the lineup if and when he slumps. If Dom hits...and he doesn't but the Mets win. Is he going to be a sourpuss or a team guy. Now Alonso deserves the nod over Smith initially because of the Fat Apathetic Dom years. But I'm not sold on Alonso's maturity and fear he may be a chirper. He sure gives off the impression of being a cocky guy.

Edited by '7'
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, '7' said:

Curious how Alonso deals with a few days out of the lineup if and when he slumps. If Dom hits...and he doesn't but the Mets win. Is he going to be a sourpuss or a team guy. Now Alonso deserves the nod over Smith initially because of the Fat Apathetic Dom years. But I'm not sold on Alonso's maturity and fear he may be a chirper

I'll give Alonso the benefit of the doubt for now.  Mets threw him a HUGE bone (especially for them) by bringing him up right away.  He hopefully realizes he's pretty lucky in that regard, and appreciates it. 

And agree that although Smith might be getting it together now, it's his fault that he blew his headstart and prior opportunities.  One fine spring training doesn't undo his past mistakes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

In the end the decision was made a lot easier with the Lowrie and Frazier injuries but gotta give Brodie the benefit of the doubt too...while he's come off as a carnival barker they were in the end as good as their word vis-a-vis the deGrom extension, Alonso staying with the big team and the general improvements of the roster.

Opening Day seems to have a different feel to it, not so much because of the rare bolt of optomism in the wake of the offseason moves but also just because it's deGrom-Scherzer.  You don't really get THAT kind of matchup even on Opening Day a lot, the two best pitchers in baseball and winners of the last three Cy Youngs who both happen to pitch for East Coast rivals.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If nothing else, it sure seems like BVW has much more support from the Wilpons than Sandy ever did.  Maybe because Sandy chafed more behind the scenes when Jeffy would meddle and force himself to be involved, while BVW may actually have found a way to make Jeffy somehow feel like he's a part of this thing, though he's really not?  Though I'm obviously no Sandy fan, more and more I think the Wilpons during most of Sandy's era were just brutal to work for.  I don't think Sandy necessarily made the best decisions under whatever restrictions he had to deal with, but at the same time, we'll probably never truly know what his real vision was...especially when he was likely so disgruntled he started making meh kinds of moves for the sake of doing so.  He was a beaten man, likely worn out from endless compromises and sheer Wilpon stupidity and backtracking.   

What's interesting about BVW is that he may not come off as the most likable guy and he has that general cocky salesman vibe that will turn off some, but that is a lot easier to take if the guy is actually following through and getting things done.  And if he can somehow make Jeffy feel like he's actually playing a role in all of this while he's winking behind his back to the fanbase and almost saying "We all know this guy's a complete clown, don't worry about him, I got this under control...", then I gotta give him some serious kudos.  That's a seriously Herculean task, and not one many could pull off. 

 

And agree re:  deGrom vs Scherzer, it absolutely does NOT get better than that for an Opening Day matchup.  Welcome to the show Alonso...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
Link to post
Share on other sites

We've been talking a lot about BVW as he's the new guy on board. One guy who hasn't been mentioned who may hold this team back is Mickey Callaway. Nice guy, but he doesn't know anything about in game tactical stuff. Has no feel for the bullpen, puts together puzzling rosters. Outfielders positioned incorrectly at the wrong times

There were times he was so bad last year he was almost...Mattingly bad (if not worse) Any calls to fire him last season (and I was among them) were totally justified though none of us really expected him to go

Will he get better this year or will he hold this team back. If they stumble out to 8-14 or something like that then I would absolutely fire him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, '7' said:

We've been talking a lot about BVW as he's the new guy on board. One guy who hasn't been mentioned who may hold this team back is Mickey Callaway. Nice guy, but he doesn't know anything about in game tactical stuff. Has no feel for the bullpen, puts together puzzling rosters. Outfielders positioned incorrectly at the wrong times

There were times he was so bad last year he was almost...Mattingly bad (if not worse) Any calls to fire him last season (and I was among them) were totally justified though none of us really expected him to go

Will he get better this year or will he hold this team back. If they stumble out to 8-14 or something like that then I would absolutely fire him.

Two words:  Jim Riggleman.  He was clearly brought in to assist and I think even mentor a bit, but if Mickey's not figuring things out, Riggleman will be the new manager sooner than later.  BVW has built a right-now team...Ramos, Cano, and Lowrie are not going to be here for the long haul.  And we don't know how much the Wilpons are going to be willing to spend to keep this thing going, even if it's going well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If nothing else, it sure seems like BVW has much more support from the Wilpons than Sandy ever did.  Maybe because Sandy chafed more behind the scenes when Jeffy would meddle and force himself to be involved, while BVW may actually have found a way to make Jeffy somehow feel like he's a part of this thing, though he's really not?  Though I'm obviously no Sandy fan, more and more I think the Wilpons during most of Sandy's era were just brutal to work for.  I don't think Sandy necessarily made the best decisions under whatever restrictions he had to deal with, but at the same time, we'll probably never truly know what his real vision was...especially when he was likely so disgruntled he started making meh kinds of moves for the sake of doing so.  He was a beaten man, likely worn out from endless compromises and sheer Wilpon stupidity and backtracking.   

What's interesting about BVW is that he may not come off as the most likable guy and he has that general cocky salesman vibe that will turn off some, but that is a lot easier to take if the guy is actually following through and getting things done.  And if he can somehow make Jeffy feel like he's actually playing a role in all of this while he's winking behind his back to the fanbase and almost saying "We all know this guy's a complete clown, don't worry about him, I got this under control...", then I gotta give him some serious kudos.  That's a seriously Herculean task, and not one many could pull off. 

 

And agree re:  deGrom vs Scherzer, it absolutely does NOT get better than that for an Opening Day matchup.  Welcome to the show Alonso...

And on top of that Sandy was old. And sick for a period of time. When you're old and ill you don't care about managing the Wilpons. They want to put there foot down on something stupid...fine Sandy doesn't care he's not vested here long term. He can be Mr. Lounge Comedian to the press (What Outfield?) Heck Sandy didn't care much about keeping up with the modern game of baseball either and what it takes to win. BVW I think at least cares enough to gently talk them out of things.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, '7' said:

And on top of that Sandy was old. And sick for a period of time. When you're old and ill you don't care about managing the Wilpons. They want to put there foot down on something stupid...fine Sandy doesn't care he's not vested here long term. He can be Mr. Lounge Comedian to the press (What Outfield?) Heck Sandy didn't care much about keeping up with the modern game of baseball either and what it takes to win. BVW I think at least cares enough to gently talk them out of things.

Yeah, we've been over it...I think when you have the kinds of health scares that Sandy did, your priorities change significantly, and he just decided that he wasn't killing himself for a couple of buffoons like Fred and Jeffy...why?  If anything, Jeffy's willingness to throw him under the bus as quickly as he did probably illustrates how much their relationship had deteriorated.  Sandy could probably go on a classic rant about the Wilpons if given the stage to do so. 

That being said, if he was that miserable and disillusioned, then I think he should've resigned and not signed that last extension.  Yeah, the Wilpons suck, but there's still people who want a shot at being a big-market GM.  Don't keep the job if you're not really interested in trying all that hard anymore. 

And of course, read in the Daily News today that Jeffy's kinda-sorta taking credit for deGrom re-upping...of course he had to be in the room during the negotiation process, and apparently claimed that he wasn't letting a plane take off until this thing was done, because apparently when something needs to get done, Jeffy's your man...the big question is when does this completely deluded clown start to get on BVW's nerves?  If anything Jeffy was probably getting in the way during all of that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah didn’t see that re: Jeff but can’t say I’m surprised lol...was gonna say Opening Day is the one day of the year I know I’ll love Mickey, Jason Vargas, etc but even today I can’t muster up any good feeling for Jeff.

At least Jeff and Brodie agree with giving David Wright of all people credit for ostensibly coming up with something close to the contract structure. If that’s the case hopefully he wasn’t the one who had the 3-90 insult of an offer a few days before that :P

Edited by NJDevs4978
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah didn’t see that re: Jeff but can’t say I’m surprised lol...was gonna say Opening Day is the one day of the year I know I’ll love Mickey, Jason Vargas, etc but even today I can’t muster up any good feeling for Jeff.

At least Jeff and Brodie agree with giving David Wright of all people credit for ostensibly coming up with something close to the contract structure. If that’s the case hopefully he wasn’t the one who had the 3-90 insult of an offer a few days before that :P

It's really comical...he's decided that this is the year that he's going to get people to respect him and take him seriously as a baseball mind, no matter what...he's really on a mission..."No, it's not just BVW, who I hired BTW, I'm involved, just look, I'm a part of all of this, you need to give me credit too!"  Remind me again why the other two GM candidates didn't get the job...because I'll bet last night's Power Ball fortune that neither one of them was willing to deal with THAT crap on a constant basis. 

Jeffy, your reputation as a meddling, moronic, tone deaf, impossible-to-embrace fortunate son was not built up in one year...that happened over several of them.  And it will take several more before fans start to even begin to think about warming up to you...by all accounts, it's not just Met fans that think you're a douche.  Stop trying so hard...it's not helping, and it's making you even more annoying and abrasive than you already were...you are literally THE last person in the Met franchise that ANYONE wants to hear from, regardless of what's going on.  Just let things breathe for a while. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cano hits a dinger, but looks like Scherzer is dialing...4 Ks through 2, Mets up 1-0.  deGrom whiffs the side in the 2nd (including Scherzer, who's batting eighth).

 

Scherzer Ks 6 of the first 9 hitters to face him.  Ouch. 

Nimmo works out a walk...nice.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, '7' said:

I'm already worried this turns out like a 2018 special where deGrom is great and the Mets pens lets one get away and robs him of a W.

Hope not...man Scherzer is tough though. 

 

First and third for the Nats, no out.  Yikes.

And he gets out of it with a K and a DP.  Damn Jake is just so fvcking GOOD...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
Link to post
Share on other sites

Only 2 ABs of course, but I hope Conforto (and others) don't do the Met dead bat thing in April.  Seen too much of that. 

Yeah, deGrom could use a quick inning for sure.

Scherzer at 58 pitches through 4...pretty good for sure, but at least he's not being TOO expeditious about it. 

Another K for deGrom, but took him six pitches to do it.

Ks Zimmerman on four pitches.  Now at 60 for the game. 

Damn, single by Gomes, but then gets Dozier on a liner to Lagares.  64 pitches through 6.  Not terrible, has a shot to go 6.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice Daniel...Marty's brother Claude was in the Expos' organization at one point...sadly, he passed away not too long ago (in 2017).

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 Ks now for deGrom through 4.1 IP. 

Make that 8 through 4.2 IP.

And now 9 through 5 IP...this one after falling behind 3-0.  Now at 77 pitches through 5.  Could even sniff the 7th at this rate.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mets were one pitch away from being struck out in nine pitches in the sixth...Cano flies out to end that chance.  Scherzer with 10 K through 6, deGrom with 9 K through 5.  I know we're talking two top pitchers here, but geez, these friggin' MLB hitters need to start learning how to put the damn ball in play more consistently.  Too many Ks in the game now and it needs to stop being so accepted.

Link to post
Share on other sites

deGrom with 10 K of his own, strands Turner at third after Turner singles and steals two bases in the inning.  Now at 93 pitches through 6.  Guessing he gets to start the 7th.

Scherzer labors slightly in the 7th, but still gets out with only 93 pitches thrown so far.  Guy will probably throw a complete game two-hitter if he's feeling up to it.  Question is can the Mets get nine more outs without giving up a run?

deGrom out, Lugo in to start the 7th.  Can't pick that decision apart...deGrom probably labored a little more than he wanted to in this one, and had some high-stress moments.  No reason to push it this early in the season.  Take his six scoreless and call it a day.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, '7' said:

That's now 30 consecutive starts for deGrom allowing 3 runs or fewer. An MLB record.

Don't even want to know the W/L record there

Insanity, though I'm sure there are guys who could've done it, but had big leads and stayed in games back in the day (and maybe gave up 4+ runs as a result where they were a little worn out, but gutted it).

Lugo Ks the side...13 Ks for Met pitching today.

Scherzer out after 7.2 IP, 2 H, and 12 K.  Only big mistake that dinger allowed to Cano. 

Alonso gets his first major league base hit.  Smith and Alonso on the basepaths.  Not a scenario anyone would have seen coming, for obvious reasons, heh heh.

 

Nice, Cano with a big insurance RBI (run charged to Scherzer).  Mets up 2-0.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was only able to listen to the first inning on the radio then couldn't listen to the next few...couldn't help but think of John Sterling's Cano HR call 'Robbie Cano don'tchaknow' after he bombed Scherzer :lol:  Didn't pick it up again till just before Jake punked the Nats by K'ing Soto after Turner stole third.  What's more to be said about Jake?  Both he and Cano definitely earned their daily paycheck today lol

Now to see if this year's Mets can actually give Jake the W.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.