2021 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

9-15 against the Pirates, Marlins and Nats...if this race is even close that is what we're gonna rue as we blow it yet again this month or next (and not stomping on the Braves before the deadline).  At this rate this looks more like a blown tire 78-84 season in the making where it's over by early September.

Edited by NJDevs4978

If the end result of a Met collapse is Sandy being shown the door…I’ll deal with it.  I’ve gotta think that a number of people could’ve done far more than Sleepy Sandy with the same resources.  

As long as Sandy is gone, and replaced by someone with actual energy, pizzazz, and creativity…I’ll live with whatever happens.

3 hours ago, '7' said:

Fire this worthless sh!t of a manager. Maybe that will get them going. What else can be done...there is no energy or urgency or heart or fire. Not a clutch bone in their body

The GM can’t ever be bothered, why should the players?

Absolute pathetic no show series. No guts, no heart, no life. You absolutely have to fire Rojas (though they wont) this team just looks totally non competitive for massively long stretches. They've allowed Atlanta and Philly back in it (and credit both teams they out maneuvered the Mets at the deadline...made better moves) we're just not smart enough at the plate. And all our early season luck is beginning to turn now. We may be 10 back by months end that's how listless they are

And I'm sorry the players are soft primadonnas who come up small when needed. Lindor, Stroman etc. All they care about is styling for instagram and then they go sit on the DL with a tweak for a month when their team needs them. This team once again decimated by injuries (no excuse for recent play but still) just not enough grit and heart on this team relative to Atlanta and Philly. They want it more

Next series up is the Nats after a day off tomorrow...you watch the Nats will play every game of that series like it's game 7 of the World Series against us. And they'll forfeit when they play Philly down the line

Edited by '7'

The deadline proved that Sandy wasn’t at all interested in this year anyway.  And on that note…is he ever?  Steve, again, hire someone to run your program who isn’t a disinterested tired old man.  

And baseball players in general have become very soft…for such a non-contact sport, man do these guys get injured an awful lot.

Hockey season can’t start soon enough.  At least there’s reason to believe that our Devils are headed in the right direction.

Agreed.  There's still time to recover, but it feels like the 2021 Mets' luck (and they were getting their fair share) has simply run out.  Like you said before, they may not even finish .500.

Any word on who out there might be looking to be a fairly young FO president?  A good young mind that deserves a shot?  

Why do we only get this kind of honesty and edge from the 'acting' GM?

All this while guys like Rojas and Alonso are more worried about the fans booing them than they are about holding themselves accountable for their own sh!t.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Thanks 1

I’m kinda done with Alonso.  Seems like there’s an awful lot of complacency there…guess he’s OK with hitting around .250 (at least he’ll walk some), hitting 30-35 HR and winning HR derbies.  Winning apparently comes second to not have your wittle feewings hurt.  The Mets really are more consumed with fans not being “mean” to them than they are with winning anything.

There’s a real problem…the new owner (who will spend) is too happy to be the new owner, the president never gave much of a damn to begin with…at least the sorta GM actually gives a fvck.

And how about hiring a manager who comes off like a fvcking sensitivity trainer?!  Callaway…Rojas…get someone in here who’s capable of actual ANGER and DISGUST!  Enough with Sandy’s puppets.  

15 hours ago, '7' said:

And OF COURSE it's 3-0 right away, the Nats care about beating the Mets but obediently roll over for Atlanta and Philly

If the Mets get swept in today's DH (they already trail in Game 1, as last night's game was suspended), stick a fork in 'em.  

I'm kinda curious as to what Zack Scott's ideas are...I still think Sandy's calling most of the shots...many of the moves that were made since he came back just reek of his ideas (never going for the "obvious" target and automatically pivoting towards lesser options, bringing in Baez-type hitters, etc).  I'm certainly open to the idea of another GM next season, but I do like that Scott shows signs of holding the players accountable...maybe for once, the Mets won't be the Land of Endless Chances.  Maybe a guy like Scott won't be afraid to ship out guys who often have a way of underperforming (here's looking at you Conforto), instead of waiting season after season to figure it all out).  And maybe he's not into the "Kumbaya, it's all about happiness and loving the players" puppet managers who've been in charge post-Collins.  But we won't know that until the "real" GM (regardless of what he's calling himself) is removed from the equation.

And maybe I'm nuts, but I have REALLY soured on Alonso...for not doing a damned thing when his team really needed him to, but also for all of the flat-out ridiculous statements he recently made.  Starting with the Atlanta series, this guy slashed .132/.270/.264 over 15 games.  Yeah, his overall numbers still look respectable and he'll put up solid numbers most years I'm sure, and he's still very young, but goddamn his performance off and on the field the past couple of weeks reeks of a loser-in-the-making.  And the Mets have allowed past losers to hang around here far too often...you can't build your team around guys like that.  Of course, they're stuck with Lindor, due to his contract...the guy who loves to yuck it up with opponents, no matter what his team is doing.  Mets gotta try to find some old school players...guys who truly get pissed about losing, who aren't whining about being booed when they've clearly earned them.  These guys were finally tested, and they couldn't have failed more miserably...their collective glass jaws have been shattered.  Hell, no wonder the Phillies and Braves didn't seem to show much urgency previously...they knew the Mets would fall apart in due time..."we just hover around .500, make some solid deadline moves, and we'll pass 'em!"  fvck this team.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Of course our doubleheader gets rained into tomorrow because…2021. And because the Mets are so bad at managing the weather and delaying games before rain then sitting around all night when it does rain before calling it.

Edited by NJDevs4978

16 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:
LOL offense scores eight runs in the next game, albeit against nothing pitchers. Still just imagine if this is somehow what wakes up their complacent fannies…

Yeah hopefully that somehow got Alonso and his merry band of softies out of their collective "Hey we're just happy to be playing baseball!" malaise. 

Three-run shot from Nimmo, Mets up 3-0.  Kinda feels like they gotta sweep the Nats, with the games coming up.  Seriously, if the Mets somehow wind up 6-7 over those 13 games, that's gotta be considered a major victory, with how much better the Giants and Dodgers are.  Then we'll see if they can somehow scratch their way to a division title.

Of course, does it even matter?  Can't see them not being eaten alive in the playoffs.