2021 New York Mets season thread

NJDevs4978

Yeah we might have bought into the Phillies’ and Braves’ surges a little too soon.  Maybe the NL East really is that meh, top to bottom.

The Mets can’t really afford to lose any more games to the Nats of Marlins…schedule gets tough after that.  But based on what I’ve seen, the Mets simply don’t look like they’re nearly good enough to make the playoffs…even in wins.

Well they finally put it out of reach today...but after being up 4-0 and 6-3 of course they gagged it up both times which was infuriating. Washington is bad...but they are extremely motivated when they see a Mets uniform.

13 hours ago, '7' said:

Well they finally put it out of reach today...but after being up 4-0 and 6-3 of course they gagged it up both times which was infuriating. Washington is bad...but they are extremely motivated when they see a Mets uniform.

I really don’t think it’s case of Washington being all that much more motivated against the Mets, as the Mets really aren’t leaps and bounds better than them at this point.  There isn’t a team in MLB that the Mets are capable of dominating right now.

It really is kind of a double-edged sword right now…sure, it’s kind fun to see them fighting their way back into the race after appearing to be as dead as dead can be, but it feels like a huge tease.  Hard to think some of their upcoming opponents won’t absolutely smoke em.  

Williams doesn't have it...he's a terrible pitcher overall. We're gonna need some luck and another offensive outburst to get through this. He's been good for us so far, but it's only been 13 innings. Eventually he's going to revert to what he is

Edited by '7'

We really don't deserve Alonso. He's been terrific. The 50+ HR monster that he was during his rookie season we'll probably never see again, but as a pure hitter now (.266 batting average) he's as good as I've ever seen him at the plate

Edited by '7'

What’s ironic is that Diaz actually will pitch well for several outings at a time, but it doesn’t really FEEL like he does…you’re just waiting for him to screw the pooch.  And it never comes as a surprise in the slightest when it happens.

Anyhoo, with the Mets now being 5 back in the loss with only 24 games left to play with Atlanta having two games in hand, it seems like it’s just too difficult of a hill to climb.  Given their current position, only taking three out of five from the Nats simply wasn’t good enough.  The Mets won’t win the division unless the teams ahead of them lose it…if they Braves play .500 ball the rest of the way, they’ll finish with 85 wins.  Mets have to go 10 over to finish with 86.  Anyone see that happening?  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Could one of these c*nt starters not instantly cough up whatever lead the offense affords them?  Jesus Christ.

Fire Sandy.

Lindor with a big ol grin on his face after an error that wound up scoring on a hit.  I hope the fans boo this fvcker the second he comes to the plate when the Mets return to Citi.  Not that I expect him to mope, but geez, does he think having a big smile on his face after a bad error makes for great optics?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Pete with dingers 30 and 31.  BA up to .269.  He’s streaky and when he’s going bad it can get ugly, he has limitations in the field, and sometimes he seems a little too comfortable with losing (a serious issue in Metland), but the guy is pretty damned good, no doubt.

Another fugly win…the Mets seem to specialize in those.  They gotta win these next three.  Hopefully the Yankees are still ice-cold when the Mets face them, but will it surprise anyone if the Yankees suddenly come back to life and sweep the Mets?

Looks like they won't have Cole so that'll help. But yea with our pitching the way it is the Yankees will definitely use this as a "get well" series. Even though they have plenty of their own problems(the division is gone, they'll probably make a WC play in game but that's on progressively shakier and shakier ground) they'll likely roll over a team like ours.

I know it sucks to have that inherited runner at second, but is anyone surprised that Diaz couldn’t hold them in that spot?  

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

LOL another sh!tty loss to the Marlins. The more things change…

At least this tease is going to be short-lived.  

Doesn't help that Luis decided to have Diaz face one of their hottest hitters instead of walking him to face a guy hitting .100 in a situation where the extra runner on base was irrelevant anyway (if anything it would have actually helped, setting up a force).

Edited by NJDevs4978

If this means Sandy's out after 2022, I guess I can kinda sorta live with it...but he'd better not have much say on anything related to ops (sounds like that's the plan, but this means that he'll have some say on who gets to run the show, which I can't say that I love).

I think the next guy to run the show (in order of possibility) will be be either Billy Beane or Theo Epstein.  I think it's Beane because not only does he have ties to Sandy, but apparently he's finally getting fed up with the lack of funds in Oakland and may be ready to move on.  He hasn't fully gotten over the hump the way that Theo has, but the guy does hit on a lot of lesser-tier players.  I'd be happy with either one at this point, really.  

And btw how do you profess to be an analytics organization (or want to be) that wants to go by the numbers and NOT EVEN USE BASIC STATS!  Loopy Luis cited handedness as a reason he pinch-hit lefty Mazeika instead of righty JDD in the top of the tenth inning.  This despite the fact Mazeika is equally crappy against righties and lefties while JDD is .330/.415/.527 against righties this year, actually having a reverse split year.  Not to mention refusing to take numbers into account in the bottom of the inning although maybe he just feels - and obviously can't say - that Diaz is too macho/fragile to handle skipping a batter with an IBB.

Edited by NJDevs4978