Nas & Recchi Fired

mfitz804

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

How do these mediocre coaches gain the trust of the most important people in the organization? It’s maddening. 

I'm with you here for sure, even if Marty's liked the guy because he knew him from his time spent in STL and recommended him it clearly hasn't worked so make the change. It's the immunity that's mind boggling. Changing a goalie coach shouldn't be any harder than changing your underwear. They tried it, it  didn't work, move on. 

Great players don't always translate into great coaches or great executives or even judgement of who would be good a coach etc. Of course you can't blame the injuries on this guy whoever he is but when you're a part of an unmitigated disaster your go as a part of a fresh start. 

Edited by titans04
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

I don't know enough about Dave Rogalski to form an opinion. I do know that it's unlikely-at-best any goalie coach in the universe could've turned a quarter season combined from Blackwood and Bernier, plus 3/4ths of a season with a revolving door of AHL-fodder and not-yet-ready prospects into a capable goaltending group. 

I'm weird about coaches, now. I wanted Ruff gone forever. I wanted Hynes gone forever. I wanted DeBoer gone forever. But if the group that they are coaching simply isn't any good, I don't know what a "new voice" in the locker room does for them. Coaches don't save the puck. Coaches don't score. Coaches don't defend. 

We celebrated when DeBoer was fired. Like, high-five your friends celebrated. What was the result? 

For the Devils -- it was terrible. One quick cup of coffee in the playoffs one time and then a bunch of lottery picks. For Deboer? 6 consecutive trips to the playoffs. A trip to the finals, two trips to the conference finals. His players and the media will all tell you the same thing -- this is a coach who knows how to control the room that knows what buttons to push. 

And Hynes? The "dead beat admiral" or whatever you guys like to call him -- he took an underachieving predators team the same season we fired him and got them to the qualifying round of the playoffs. In the 2 years since? The Predators were unanimously considered one of the Western Conference bottom feeders, and in consecutive seasons they're playing in the playoffs. 

I am not trying to revise history. I wanted Deboer gone and I wanted Hynes gone. But I'm not going to pretend I can find a flaw in the goalie coach or the head coach that our GM can't see. And I'm not going to eagerly shove Ruff out the door if the team believes in him, if the players believe in him, if our superstars believe in him.  The entire hockey world watched in amazement while the Lightning inexplicably didn't fire their deadbeat head coach after seeing the 62-win lightning not even win a playoff game. Maybe patience is a virtue. 

with you here too 100%, I don't in anyway think it's all about the coaches.  I do think the players on the ice and their play are a huge part of problem (lack of skill, hockey IQ etc.) along with the poor coaching. There's too many guys imo you can look at on this roster and say he's ok, and somewhere I'm sure there's some numbers to support that.  That's great, but having too may they're ok, added to a couple who stink will ensure this team doesn't become highly competitive. Could they improve, sure, it would be hard not too. I don't think cleaning out Ruff would of been the magic bullet but for the life of me I can't figure out the reason they kept him other than sunk cost and Jack and Nico like the guy.  

15 hours ago, MB3 said:

I don't know enough about Dave Rogalski to form an opinion. I do know that it's unlikely-at-best any goalie coach in the universe could've turned a quarter season combined from Blackwood and Bernier, plus 3/4ths of a season with a revolving door of AHL-fodder and not-yet-ready prospects into a capable goaltending group. 

I'm weird about coaches, now. I wanted Ruff gone forever. I wanted Hynes gone forever. I wanted DeBoer gone forever. But if the group that they are coaching simply isn't any good, I don't know what a "new voice" in the locker room does for them. Coaches don't save the puck. Coaches don't score. Coaches don't defend. 

We celebrated when DeBoer was fired. Like, high-five your friends celebrated. What was the result? 

For the Devils -- it was terrible. One quick cup of coffee in the playoffs one time and then a bunch of lottery picks. For Deboer? 6 consecutive trips to the playoffs. A trip to the finals, two trips to the conference finals. His players and the media will all tell you the same thing -- this is a coach who knows how to control the room that knows what buttons to push. 

And Hynes? The "dead beat admiral" or whatever you guys like to call him -- he took an underachieving predators team the same season we fired him and got them to the qualifying round of the playoffs. In the 2 years since? The Predators were unanimously considered one of the Western Conference bottom feeders, and in consecutive seasons they're playing in the playoffs. 

I am not trying to revise history. I wanted Deboer gone and I wanted Hynes gone. But I'm not going to pretend I can find a flaw in the goalie coach or the head coach that our GM can't see. And I'm not going to eagerly shove Ruff out the door if the team believes in him, if the players believe in him, if our superstars believe in him.  The entire hockey world watched in amazement while the Lightning inexplicably didn't fire their deadbeat head coach after seeing the 62-win lightning not even win a playoff game. Maybe patience is a virtue. 

You’re not rewriting history by any means, but you’re also comparing a sharks and Vegas teams that were already established as good teams, just needed shakeups. The Preds also were an established team, just underperforming.

since he got to Vegas: DeBoer anointed Lehner as the goaltending savior, had Fleury traded, now has a controversy with Lehner over the injury/not injury and embarrassingly missed the playoffs after literally choking the final month of the season. 

Hynes (Dumb but angry, but close on your definition of DBA) also has a TON of talent, and a legit goalie in Saros. But again, once adversity hit, he also was scrambling, and if not for Saros literally carrying that team through the middle of the season last year, Hynes was as good as gone.

PDB I think can coach established teams, developing them is a completely different story. He does so very well, 2 cup finals with two teams. Vegas has just become the on ice version of the city: you literally have no clue what you’re getting cause everyone is in and out.

Hynes on the other hand, we’ll I have nothing positive to say about him.

• Like 1