The Olympics

ciyenne

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't watch the Summer Olympics much, but has Australia always worn green and yellow? I keep thinking it's Brazil out there!

Also why do they where green and yellow?

I thought it odd as well, so I checked.

From aussie-info.com:

Australia's National Colours

Three colour combinations traditionally claim to be Australia's national colours: red, white and blue; blue and gold; and green and gold.

Red, white and blue were featured in the first Coat of Arms of the Commonwealth in 1908 and are the colours of the Australian national flag.

The colours blue and gold have heraldic significance as they are the colours of the crest in Commonwealth Coat of Arms.

Green and gold gained wide popularity and acceptance in sporting events, both here and internationally. They were proclaimed Australia's national colours by the Governor-General on 19 April 1984. Prior to that there were no official colours.

The Men's 200 individual medley was good. Ian Thorpe took the gold beating out the defending champ and Phelps.

I caught some of that badminton with Clement commentating. He did a decent job. But our Badminton team stunk. They got blitzed by Denmark in two straight sets :lol:. Wow... I used to play badminton as a kid. Our family had the rackets and ball.

Has anyone checked out the boxing? It's been good.

The Men's gymnastics team took silver. An excellent achievment.

:lol: you guys are the worst! :P but really what's to see? nothing is bouncing or anything so it's not tittilating - I wouldn't think anyhow :noclue:

The swimmers are weird too - you can't tell the guys from the girls when dudes wear the one peice as opposed to the speedo.

BUT ANYHOW -- remember when the Olympics were the most fun thing in the world when we were little? I mean winter or summer they were so special and cool... I think now we're just inundated with sports channels and events any time we want - it's just too much - so the Olympics aren't special - just same old same old I guess. :(

But we did manage to get a medal today. A bronze in SYNCHRONIZED DIVING?!?! WHAT THE HECK KIND OF SPORT IS THAT?!?! CAN WE SEND THIS MEDAL BACK?!?! Where the heck do they find these sports? Is bowling in the Olympics? How about freestyle skateboarding? How many hops can someone do on their bicycle back tire? Best yo-yo tricks?

We were watching that as we were killing time to go to the airport... man that is the weirdest damn thing I've ever seen.. and I'm sorry.. take this as you will... seeing the men's version is the gayest thing on the planet !! NO way to look masculine when doing THAT !!

But we did manage to get a medal today. A bronze in SYNCHRONIZED DIVING?!?! WHAT THE HECK KIND OF SPORT IS THAT?!?! CAN WE SEND THIS MEDAL BACK?!?! Where the heck do they find these sports? Is bowling in the Olympics? How about freestyle skateboarding? How many hops can someone do on their bicycle back tire? Best yo-yo tricks?

We were watching that as we were killing time to go to the airport... man that is the weirdest damn thing I've ever seen.. and I'm sorry.. take this as you will... seeing the men's version is the gayest thing on the planet !! NO way to look masculine when doing THAT !!

I was on the phone with a friend of mine last night when the highlights of the men's synchronized diving was on, and we both said, (it was even "synchronized") that the Fab Five from Queer Eye should be doing the call for this because it just wasn't for straight men. Where IS Carson when you need him????

:lol:  you guys are the worst!  :P  but really what's to see?  nothing is bouncing or anything so it's not tittilating - I wouldn't think anyhow :noclue:

As I said to Mrs Diablo - I enjoy the incredible sportsmanship :rolleyes:

I most definetely agree about the thongs though...whoo hoooo!

I think there was in issue with the players and the sideline cheerleaders.. I caught the story at the end....

Didn't see your comment until CRASHER quoted it, but my response would have beem:

This rant coming from a person where CURLING is a sport. :P

:evil:

Edited by sammyk

Well it won't be shown in Islamic countries, that's for sure.  Apparently, they will not televise any women's sport in which the participants are not fully covered, so I think this definitely leaves this one OUT!!!  Actually, it pretty much leaves all of the women's summer Olympic sports out, doesn't it???  Maybe the shooting sports are OK, but if some of the women don't have their heads covered, is that a no-no???

I understand that due to the "high tech " swimming suits which cover most of the body Iran had its first female swimmers, though if theyre racing vs women who dont wear those I suppose noone will see them in their native land. At that point you must ask "If a tree falls in the forest..." :unsure:

Great sport. LOL... but actually, it is fun to watch. Not just saying that :D.

As for the rest of the games today, Team USA would have lost to Greece had they had their starting PG. More proof that they should go back to amateurs.

Best event I caught was an unbelievable third set between Roddick and Haas. Roddick cameback to win it 9-7. Both guys played outstanding trading groundstrokes and having awesome rallies. And both saved several match points. It took a great point for Andy to win. Great heart and awesome match.

How about Roger Federer bowing out at the hands of an unknown 18-year-old Czech Berderk?

Saw some of the US women's soccer against Australia. They didn't need to win. Australia got a late goal to tie. Pretty good game.