GDT: 3/19/24 Penguins @ Devils 7:00 pm MSGSN

ButlerBulldog

9 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Unless I completely zoned out at the arena and missed it I was absolutely shocked that they didn't give Graves a return video package like they have done with so many people before. 

I don’t remember it either, I barely remembered he was even on the Pens though lol

• Haha 1

Very flawed team, but I will never forgive Fitz for allowing Lindy to plague this team as long as he did.

We would've had a chance with an Allen-level goalie and a fresh mind behind the bench.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

They don’t really need to do anything.   I looked at the Graves and Karlsson acquisitions last summer as taking a last shot with the Crosby/Malkin core.   That ship has sailed and now they’re looking down the barrel of a full blown rebuild, especially if Crosby tells Dubas to F off this summer.   They’ll have plenty of cap space.  

It was kind of obvious but good on Fitz for walking away this summer.   

Yeah Graves figures to be a roster filler for the Penguins for the next several years of his career.  The AAV isn’t awful but the term figures to be prohibitive for a good three seasons beyond this one.  And as the Pens navigate through the rebuilding waters, you need SOMEONE to take the ice for you.

At this point I don’t know what Dubas can say to keep Crosby aboard.  I can’t imagine that he would want any part of a rebuild.

And agree, Karlsson and Graves were “maybe one last time” moves.  But it’s over in Pitt.

4 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Very flawed team, but I will never forgive Fitz for allowing Lindy to plague this team as long as he did.

We would've had a chance with an Allen-level goalie and a fresh mind behind the bench.

Fitz reportedly tried to trade for Allen earlier in the season but Allen rejected the idea and had us on his NTC list.  He didn't want to leave a 3 headed situation to be another 3 headed situation with VV/Schmid.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Agree with the first point in that Fitz let the Lindy situation drag on ENTIRELY too long, but if he has the kind of offseason we're hoping for, where specific needs are addressed (and we know what they are), fans will forgive Fitz in a hurry.

Re:  Allen, he's had three nice games here, but let's not make it sound like he's some beast in net who would've been some kind of savior had he been here longer.  He has a .904 save%, -27.0 GSAA and .514 QS% over the past 6 seasons.  Fitz got him to be next year's backup and a guy who might be able to fill in for a VERY short time as a starter, but ask too much of him and it will get ugly quickly.  If Allen were here since November to fill, say, VV's role, I don't necessarily think this year overall would've been so wildly different.  Allen has limitations of his own.  

It's great that Allen's off to a quick start as a Devil, but all it's gonna take is 2-3 rough games and people are going to start chirping about him.

Hopefully next season he's the cost-effective #2 that the Devils are asking him to be.  That will be plenty good enough for me.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aylbert said:

Fitz reportedly tried to trade for Allen earlier in the season but Allen rejected the idea and had us on his NTC list.  He didn't want to leave a 3 headed situation to be another 3 headed situation with VV/Schmid.

I actually understand that rationale from Allen but by the same token any one of us who watched and read the Devils news could have told him Allen would have been the immediate #2 here since they haven't wanted to play Schmid and Daws this year, and would have been #1 in short-order with a head coach looking to win games and save his job.  He couldn't have known all that from the outside, but it's frustrating that maybe the season could have been saved just with that one move a couple months ago and it was more doable than we initially believed (at least I did think the Habs were holding out for too much).

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1