All Star Weekend Cancelled

msweet

Link

NHL cancels All-Star Weekend

By IRA PODELL, AP Sports Writer

November 3, 2004

NEW YORK (AP) -- The NHL lockout forced the cancellation of this season's All-Star game, scheduled to be held in Atlanta in February.

Wednesday's announcement that the midseason showcase would not be held came on the 49th day of the lockout, imposed by commissioner Gary Bettman after the collective bargaining agreement expired on Sept. 15.

No regular-season games have been played since the season was scheduled to begin on Oct. 13, and NHL arenas have been given the go-ahead to release dates on a 45-day rolling basis. With the All-Star game now off the schedule, the next announcement could be the cancellation of the entire season.

The NHL and the players association haven't met since Sept. 9 and have no plans to return to the bargaining table.

The lockout during the 1994-95 season also forced the cancellation of the All-Star game, scheduled to be played in San Jose, Calif.

An agreement was reached in January 1995, and each team played a 48-game schedule.

Atlanta would've held its third All-Star game in five years, after hosting the Major League Baseball and NBA events. The event scheduled for Feb. 12-13 would've been the first time the Thrashers, who began play in 1999, served as the host.

In its statement, the NHL said the earliest Atlanta can hold All-Star weekend is 2008 since the 2006 game has already been awarded to the Phoenix Coyotes and plans for the 2007 game are near completion.

``We apologize to the fans, to the City of Atlanta, to the Thrashers and to all those who already have devoted so much effort to planning this important hockey celebration,'' said Frank Supovitz, the group vice president of NHL events and entertainment. ``We will reschedule All-Star weekend for Atlanta as soon as possible and will do everything we can to reward everyone's patient support.''

Updated on Wednesday, Nov 3, 2004

:blahblah:

They don't give a sh!t about us. I'm finding it hard to care about anything they have to say anymore.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im right there with you on this, sometimes I cared sometimes I dont...at this point I just want to know, partial season or none, Im tired od reading the same articles over and over....just cancel the fuggin season already and get this league FIXED

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Neither side gives a damn about the fans! I'm also on board about the league not wanting to play a season. I still maintain that if Goodenow wasn't running the union, the players would try everything they could to save it.

Im right there with you on this, sometimes I cared sometimes I dont...at this point I just want to know, partial season or none, Im tired od reading the same articles over and over....just cancel the fuggin season already and get this league FIXED

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Part of me's of the mindset that I wouldn't mind seeing the season gone 'if' it means getting things fixed, but part of me knows damn well that ain't happening even if they flush away a season. Flushing away a season did little to fix baseball's problems after all :P So I'm left to hope that the players jumping ship is indiciative of cracks in the wall...and if the wall doesn't crack this year then looks like an impasse and replacement players next year, so be it whatever will knock some sense into both sides.

Derek it's not about who's in charge it's about the general mindset. Daly and Saskin would be every-bit as hard line as Bettman and Goodnow.