Talks Wrap up after 4 hours -TSN

SueNJ97

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=107451

NHLPA, NHL wrap up important meeting

Canadian Press

12/9/2004

TORONTO (CP) - Talks between the National Hockey League and the NHL Players' Association have wrapped up in Toronto after nearly four hours of talks Thursday. There is no word yet on any progress that may or may not have been made.

The NHLPA believes its new proposal has the goods to salvage the NHL season.

But the offer won't connect player costs to league revenues - a salary cap - and that's a problem for the league.

''I suppose I question how good it can be without that link (between player costs and league revenues),'' Bill Daly, the NHL's executive vice-president and chief legal officer, said Wednesday from New York.

''But, again, we've said all along that we're prepared to look at and discuss and negotiate over anything they want to bring to the table. We just believe a linkage, especially given where we've been in the history of this collective bargaining agreement, is very important to righting the financial ship.''

The NHL says it lost $1.8 billion US over the 10-year run of the last CBA, including $273 million for the 2002-03 season and $224 million last season. The players dispute those figures.

As to the new proposal, the NHLPA was still putting the finishing touches to it Wednesday. It has kept a tight lid on what's in it, but here's what may have been included:

- A payroll tax with more teeth. The Sept. 9 offer had a tax of 20 cents on the dollar for team payrolls over $40 million - a benchmark about half of the 30 teams exceeded last season. The new tax will be much higher than the 20 cents - which would have cost the Maple Leafs $4.5 million on a $62.5-million payroll last season. The NHLPA opts for this kind of salary-drag because it is a step short of a cap, still allowing a marketplace approach to salaries - and allowing rich owners to dig deep into their pockets if they so want.

- Revenue sharing: the tax money collected from the bigger-spending clubs gets distributed to the lower-spending clubs. This would appeal to have-not teams.

- Salary rollback on all existing player contracts, more than the five per cent offered Sept. 9. This offers a direct cash return to owners, appealing directly to their bottom line.

- Changes to the entry-level system that will scale back the rookie cap. This will save the owners money, especially since the current system was full of holes with regards to bonuses.

- Changes to the salary arbitration system. This could involve a baseball-style process where the two sides come in with more realistic demands.

- Changes to the qualifying offer process; in the last agreement, qualifying offers had to be at least 110 per cent of last year's salary for any player who earned less than the league's average salary. The union is expected to lower that percentage, a measure that should help teams keep their talent at a lower cost.

''We feel we've moved quite a bit,'' NHLPA vice-president Daniel Alfredsson told Ottawa reporters Tuesday. ''If they say there's nothing to talk about, well, then there isn't anything to talk about. (The proposal) is not going to get much better. This is pretty much the full deal.''

Still, the league wants a system that guarantees player costs won't take up more than 53 per cent of league revenues. The union's offer won't do that. But if the concessions in all other areas are strong enough, both sides may finally start negotiating.

''It's my belief that they'll take a good look and it will definitely start the process,'' Alfredsson said. ''I think that, once they look it through, they'll see it's something they can work with.''

The proposal is touted to save owners well over $200 million next season.

''We are looking forward to the meeting tomorrow and are very confident that our proposal will provide a basis to end the owners' lockout and resume NHL hockey with a new CBA that can work for both owners and players,'' NHLPA president Trevor Linden said Wednesday.

Realistically, the best hope for hockey fans is that the proposal is strong enough to at least keep both sides in a board room over the next few weeks. That would be an achievement in itself given that Thursday will mark three months to the day that the two sides last negotiated.

''I think it would be a good result if as a result of tomorrow's meeting we will begin real negotiations,'' agreed Daly. ''And I use the term real, because I don't believe any of our meetings to date have resulted in bona-fide, legitimate collective bargaining negotiations.

''And I would say without hesitation that's not because of anything we've done in the process.''

The two sides are meeting at the NHL's Toronto office at 11 a.m. EST. The union invited the league back to the negotiating table last Thursday with the lure of a new offer.

''I'd like to be hopeful, I'd like to be optimistic,'' said Daly. ''We're going to go into this with a fairly open mind and hope they come to the table with something that is meant to address the issues that are facing the game.''

Commissioner Gary Bettman told Leafs TV on Tuesday night that if the union's offer was ''a real genuine attempt to move the process forward, than I'll be delighted. If this is just an attempt at PR, then I'm not sure we will have advanced things.''

NHLPA senior director Ted Saskin said this was in no way is a PR exercise.

''This proposal is an attempt to get a deal done, and I'm confident that it will in no way be construed as anything other than that,'' Saskin said Wednesday.

Saskin, NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow, associate counsel Ian Pulver and outside counsel John McCambridge were still working on the proposal Wednesday along with Linden and the rest of the executive committee of active NHL players: vice-presidents Alfredsson, Bob Boughner, Vincent Damphousse, Bill Guerin, Trent Klatt and Arturs Irbe - all of whom will be present at the meeting Thursday.

In the meantime, time is running out to salvage a season. When the two sides sat down Thursday morning, 372 of this season's 1,230 games had already gone by the wayside.

But Daly insisted Wednesday the league does not have a drop-dead date to salvage a season.

''No, not really,'' he said. ''If one of the goals is to play hockey this season, then as each day goes by and the calendar has turned to December, than the possibility and probability of that declines. I'm hopeful we can start serious negotiations, because in the absence of serious negotiations, there's no chance for hockey this year.''

Bettman and Daly would be joined at Thursday's meeting by senior vice-president and general counsel David Zimmerman, outside counsel Bob Batterman as well as owners from their executive committee: Calgary Flames part-owner Harley Hotchkiss (chairman of the board), Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs (chairman of the finance committee), Nashville Predators owner Craig Leipold, Carolina Hurricanes owner Peter Karmanos and New Jersey Devils CEO and GM Lou Lamoriello.

It's the same group from the Sept. 9 meeting, missing only Minnesota Wild chairman Bob Naegele, who was invited but had a scheduling conflict.

That article has been updated. The first paragraph now reads:

TORONTO (CP) - Talks between the National Hockey League and the NHL Players' Association have wrapped up in Toronto after nearly four hours of discussion Thursday. There was apparently little progress made, and the NHL will hold a press conference at 4:45 PM ET to discuss the day's events. A league spokesman said no talks were planned for tomorrow, but the two sides will get together again next week.

Edited by Rowdyfan42

From Yahoo!

TORONTO (CP) - Talks between the NHL Players' Association and the NHL ended after four hours Thursday at the league's Toronto offices, with plans for another meeting next week.

A league spokesman said the two sides will meet again either next Tuesday or Wednesday. There was no immediate reaction from the players' union. The players invited the league back to the negotiating table last Thursday with the lure of a new offer that is touted to save owners more than $200 million next season.

It was the first official meeting between the sides since Sept. 9. The lockout, which reached its 85th day Thursday, has forced cancellation of 382 regular-season games plus the 2005 all-star game.

NEXT WEEK? Why not tomorrow; they already had plans to be there?! All this tells me is more confirmation that the owners don't really want a season :P

I don't have speakers. And I don't know how to lip read!

I feel like I'm in a Monty Python sketch.  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't even get it to work!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If its a black screen thats because it hasnt started, reportedly due to the owners side taking some time discussiong things among themselves.

No, just a "cannot find server" type message

I'm trying another internet connection to see if it's the proxy at school...

Edit: yah, it's a black screen on the pop-up window, but I'm trying to open it up directly in Windows media player, which is when I get the Cannot connect to server message

Edited by njdevils_info

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=107451

NHLPA, NHL wrap up important meeting

Canadian Press

12/9/2004

TORONTO (CP) - Talks between the NHL Players' Association and the NHL ended after four hours Thursday at the league's Toronto offices, with plans for another meeting next week.

A league spokesman said the two sides will meet again either next Tuesday or Wednesday. There was no immediate reaction from the players' union.

The early word was cautious optimism.

The union's new offer was well-received by the league despite missing some elements - notably a link between player costs and league revenues - a salary cap, in other words.

But it's believed other concessions by the players, including a salary rollback, a payroll tax with teeth, and changes to salary arbitration in favour of the owners, brought the union closer to the league's position and recognized the seriousness of the NHL's financial problems.

The players invited the league back to the negotiating table last Thursday with the lure of a new offer that is touted to save owners more than $200 million next season.

It was the first official meeting between the sides since Sept. 9. The lockout, which reached its 85th day Thursday, has forced cancellation of 382 regular-season games plus the 2005 all-star game.

THERE'S HOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think a good solution is to start the level where luxury tax kicks in linked to league revenues. Then the players can walk away saying teams can spend all they want and the league can walk away saying they got a link between revenues and the salary structure. Everyone can say they won.

-Scott

I think a good solution is to start the level where luxury tax kicks in linked to league revenues.  Then the players can walk away saying teams can spend all they want and the league can walk away saying they got a link between revenues and the salary structure.  Everyone can say they won.

-Scott

Precisely what I've been thinking all along.

(We need a "thumbs up" smiley. Red, be quiet. :P)

I figured this proposal would be good enough to encourage future discussions.  At least it's better than the stalemate we've been at for three months now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I guess I should be happy they're meeting again AT ALL. I sorta figured if there was any real progress they'd meet tomorrow since they blocked out the day already 'in case' but who knows, it 'is' a start anyway :P

Holy CRAP!!!

24%?!?!?

I still don't like it. All the inflationary factors are there and there is only a 20 cent on the dollar luxery tax after $45M. You skim 24% off in a league where inflation is around 8% a year, the players salaries will be back up higher than they are now long before the expiry of the CBA and the league is in worse shape than it is now.

Sportsnet can confirm the players' proposal hinged on a 24 per cent roll back in salaries, which translates into the owners saving close to $600 million next season.

Sportsnet.ca -- There will be no need for the NHL and NHLPA to meet on Friday as originally scheduled, Sportsnet has learned. However, that doesn't necessarily mean the season is doomed.

The players' union made its proposal and spent four hours presenting an agreement that does not include cost certainty.

Sportsnet can confirm that the NHL has requested a meeting with the NHLPA for next Tuesday.

The early word was cautious optimism. The union's new offer was well-received by the league despite missing some elements -- notably a link between player costs and league revenues -- a salary cap, in other words.

A source told Sportsnet Thursday's NHLPA proposal is believed to include a 24 per cent roll back on existing multi-year salaries. The significance of the roll back hinges on the exclusion of a hard cap along with a link between revenue and salaries.

For example, Leafs captain Mats Sundin has two-years plus an option on his current deal. So, under the proposal Sundin stands to lose as much as $5.75 million, including this season.

Under this plan only six teams would have a payroll of more than $40 million.

The NHLPA's insistance on a luxury tax would see this tax implemented at $45 million.

Contrary to speculation, the NHL did not provide its own proposal, it's believed a counter to the players' gesture is forthcoming.

The players invited the league back to the negotiating table last Thursday with the lure of a new offer that is touted to save owners more than $200 million next season.

The NHL says it lost $1.8 billion US over the 10-year run of the last collective bargaining agreement, including $273 million for the 2002-03 season and $224 million last season. The players dispute those figures.

That press conference happen yet?

Yep. Bettman basically said that they haven't read the proposal yet and to comment now would be premature. So there are no negotiations tomorrow and they will be meeting again on Tuesday. It is believed that the NHL will give a counter-proposal on Tuesday.