GARY TO UNION: DIE

Rock

What planet is this guy from? He is a total idiot.  :argh:  :rant:

The PA proposal is a band aid. It won't work long term. The PA is so short sighted.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The PA isn't short sighted, the PA wants payroll to skyrocket uncontrollably. Its self interest doesn't lie with the league as a whole but only with how much the players make and their happiness, which is unfortunate but how it is supposed to be.

-Scott

http://www.nypost.com/sports/32700.htm

"Lying comes very easy to these people," Bobby Holik told The Post during a weekend telephone conversation about the lockout. "The owners and league lie all the time to further their agenda.

"What that is, it appears pretty obvious to me at this point, is to break the union and start all over again with entirely new players."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think I speak for everyone when I say "fvck you, Bobby! You're one of the huge reasons we're in this mess!"

http://www.nypost.com/sports/32700.htm

"Lying comes very easy to these people," Bobby Holik told The Post during a weekend telephone conversation about the lockout. "The owners and league lie all the time to further their agenda.

"What that is, it appears pretty obvious to me at this point, is to break the union and start all over again with entirely new players."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think I speak for everyone when I say "fvck you, Bobby! You're one of the huge reasons we're in this mess!"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just consider your sources. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Edited by hattrick

It is just amazing that LRHB would talk about lying coming easy for the owners.... and his salary is one of the major reasons that we are where we are today.

Afterall he is the original Lying Hypocritical Rat Bastard.

It is just amazing that LRHB would talk about lying coming easy for the owners.... and his salary is one of the major reasons that we are where we are today.

Afterall he is the original Lying Hypocritical Rat Bastard.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Then you mean LHRB, not LRHB..... :P:D

Edited by hattrick

I have a question about Brooks:

I havent read all of his articles during this me$$, but is he usually pro-player?  Or does he look at this issue from both sides or does he just write propoganda?  Just curious.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's right. He is usually or only pro player and writes propaganda. He is an a$$hole. :evil:

I have a question about Brooks:

I havent read all of his articles during this me$$, but is he usually pro-player?  Or does he look at this issue from both sides or does he just write propoganda?  Just curious.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's right. He is usually or only pro player and writes propaganda. He is an a$$hole. :evil:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, I just wanted to know his trends, I hate both sides the same, thanks for the info.

Yes, this is Bobby Holik's fault because when he was a free agent he broke into Dolan's house and kidnapped his child and told Dolan that he would not return the kid unless he got a deal for $9M per.

The NHLPA proposal reset the clock so to speak. It gave the owners a second chance. To, you know, set a budget and stick to it. If they made some of the things like arbitration and qualiying offers more owner friendly it would have worked fine. But Bettman is not about compromise. He is about impasse and replacement players. He is about guranteeing profits while ticket prices continue to spiral out of control.

It took years, and performing enhancing drugs, for baseball to return to anywhere near it's pre-strike levels. If they cancel the whole season I expect the NHL will never get there.

Petey, the problem is the Rangers don't need to set a budget while most of the rest of the league does. So the teams that do have to worry about a budget either have to go bankrupt keeping their players or telling their fans that they are basically a feeder minor league team for the 4 or 5 teams with money.

-Scott

It took years, and performing enhancing drugs, for baseball to return to anywhere near it's pre-strike levels. If they cancel the whole season I expect the NHL will never get there.

But that really won't matter. If the league stays firm to cost certainty, even if 1 fan shows up and pays $20, the owner takes $10 in revenue and the players get to split the 10 across the team in payroll. The longer the players hold out on the inevitable, the less money they will make.

But here in Canada, the fans will come back. The places that like hockey will be back. The places where it means little, will be harder to bring back. Like the United States. We will find out which cities love hockey and which ones don't.

The simple solution (from a macro level) is to tie salary to revenue. Establish a cap that moves with league revenues. As the sport recovers from this debacle rev goes up and so can salaries. Everybody wins.

Now the obvious problems are:

What if an owner underspends. Probable need a minimum payroll or some other metric. Possibly tying minimum salary to local revenue.

Initial Cap number- I have no solution but this is why they are getting paid.

Define Revenues- this is what should be negotiated.

Guaranteed contracts- the PA's offer of one forced arbitration by team per year is nice. Both sides have to play by the same rules. If a team honors a contract that is overpaying, the PA has to support the owners when a player holds out under contract for more money. Very simple. If players want to hold out under contract then owners should be able to cancel contracts.

The Union's offer is the definition of a band-aid solution. It will temporarily help but over time we could end up in the same mess. Still, at some point the owners are going to have to step up and take responsibily for their actions. Its called creating you're own budget and sticking to it. And I don't buy this crap about the pressures of the marketplace and teams having to match salaries to remain competitive. Look at the Devils, they let Holik walk away and won the cup the next year. Theres no reason the owners shouldn't be able to make a go of it with a 24% rollback.

The problem with the players is that they're right: It's the owners' fault.

So what do they do? Offer a plan that rolls back salaries and then puts it back on the owners to be fiscally responsible, which they've proven they can't be. That's why we need a cap: There are owners who are addicted to spending top dollar for free agents and top stars, and these contracts will just grow back to 2004 levels six years after the rollback.

<JESTER>

Here's my thought:

Why can't the owners amalgamate into one NHL Corp, with each owner then being the director of each franchise of NHL Corp.?

Thusly no longer is it collusion to put in writing an agreement that each franchise may not spend over $X.

BTW - is it collusion if Shell public came out stating that they will NOT pay their workers any more than $20/hr and for Esso to do the same afterwards? I mean, there was no communication made between the two. Shell made a policy for themselves and another company just happened to follow up with the same policy. No conspiracy. No collusion. Or does the law work that way?

I don't think your Shell example is collusion Don. Airlines do similar things with surcharges. One airline will do it, then all follow. Then one airline will drop it and all will follow again. Although the Shell thing may raise suspicion and initiate an investigation to make sure it wasn't collusion.