ESPN Reports Johnson trade close to done

devilsrule33

Beyond that:  Its an 80's deal all over again.

wait I missed the part where they traded the farm for a washed up slugger.

all i'm seeing is a reasonable trade for the most dominating lefty in the game not named johan santaclaus.

Vasquez can be replaced. Sheets, Santana, Schmidt, and others will hit the market in the next couple of years.

But they showed this year that that simply doesn't work. Only a team of mercenaries can drop a 3-0 lead the way the Yankees did.

I think this is a foolish trade. The Yankees should take a year off from spending and let their farm system catch up. Instead they're selling out the future, again.

But they showed this year that that simply doesn't work.  Only a team of mercenaries can drop a 3-0 lead the way the Yankees did.

I think this is a foolish trade.  The Yankees should take a year off from spending and let their farm system catch up.  Instead they're selling out the future, again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wait, they made the playoffs, didn't they? Weren't they three outs away from the World Series?

Did any team in the AL with a surplus of homegrown players make it out of the first round?

I wish we were in 1998, too. But we're not. And what the Yankees are doing now is working, and will work so long as the money doesn't dry up.

This is a decent deal for the Yankees. They hold on to their top prospect (Duncan) and get the ace starter they have not had in years. The biggest problem, pitching wise, is that Mel Stottlemyre is a terrible pitching coach. I don't think Vazquez was ever going to recover from his abysmal second half as long as Mel was his pitching coach. I expect he will do very well in Arizona. If I knew the Yankees were reaching the upper limit of their cash I would be concerned. However, we have no evidence that that is the case so what the hell?