Yzerman thinks season is dead

Don

Yzerman: I don't see it happening

TSN.ca Staff

1/30/2005

NHL legend Steve Yzerman, who was among the few optimists, appears to have lost any hope that this season can be saved.

''I don't see it happening,'' the Red Wings' captain told the Detroit News. ''The philosophies haven't changed and there's no compromise in sight. I'd hoped at the last moment the owners would move off the salary cap, but they're not going to. I don't see a deal being done in the next week, and that's pretty much all the time that's left.''

After meetings Wednesday and Thursday appeared to solve nothing, more players are now looking at heading to Europe where some leagues will require commitments this week.

''A lot of guys have waited around, but there will never be an official cancellation, so at some point, guys just have to decide to go,'' Yzerman told the Detroit News. ''I won't say it's an absolute we won't see hockey until next January, but it certainly is a possibility.''

If the NHL doesn't get started until next January, Yzerman may not play again.

''I've pretty much got my mind made up about what I'm going to do, but there's no need to say for sure yet,'' Yzerman said to the Detroit News. ''If next season started on time and the Red Wings called about playing, it's something I'd definitely consider. But starting in January might be different.''

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

So, if I'm reading correctly, the optimistic players were *EXPECTING* the owners to throw up the white flag and capitulate. Yzerman EXPECTED the owners to throw in the towel.

I'm sure a LOT of players thought like Yzerman, that 'the owners cracked in '95 and every time before they'll do it again'. I guess they missed the handful of teams that went bankrupt since then, the hatful that have moved and the roomful that have lost millions of dollars (although in the players' world they think all the owners make money and they're cooking the books :P)

That's because all the owners could be trusted :rolleyes:.

Why did Empire Sports go out of business?

You can't trust these guys to do anything.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is why:

Haywood cited a decision made over a year ago by other New York state cable companies, including Time Warner, to remove Empire from its basic programming lineup and place the network on a pay tier as one significant reason for the network going out of business. That switch took from Adelphia hundreds of thousands of subscribers and millions of dollars in fees from those systems.

John Rigas may have had some part in Empire's demise, but this was the big reason.

Edited by Legend Of the Clown Banner