N.Y. Jets Unveil Suit Against Cablevision

msweet

LINK

N.Y. Jets Unveil Suit Against Cablevision

By PAT MILTON, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - The New York Jets (news) sued the owner of Madison Square Garden on Wednesday, claiming it maintains a monopoly on major city sports and entertainment events.

According to the lawsuit, Cablevision Systems Corp.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

police and firefighters get paid the same amount regardless if this thing gets built or not. I support the West Side Stadium, Jets need a home, and in the long run this thing will pay for itself.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But there will be fewer of them. The City of NY is in dire financial straits. That money is much better spent on other things - things that actually help regular people. If the Jets want a stadium they can build it themselves.

so let me see if I get this right... the Jets are suing because a company is refusing to take money for advertising ???

WHAT ???

This is "I'm suing McDonald's cause it made me fat" retarded!!!!!!

It's their business they have the right to make money with it however they see fit

if anything the MSG Monopoly lies in their exclusivity on hockey coverage :P

Jets Stadium should be in Queens anyway.. LAST thing this city needs is the train wreck of West Side Stadium Construction (or all that Olympic Garbage :rolleyes: )

The 600 or so million dollars could be spent two ways:

- Pay for Schools, Police, Fire, etc. for two years or so, then be gone.

- Help build a stadium in one of the most neglected parts of Manhattan and increase property values and bring in new taxes for years to come.

Right now, the area surrounding where the stadium would be is basically empty. There are a few industrial buildings partially occupied, but no real meat. With the new stadium, the surrounding area would get a boost of commercial business and the gain right there would pay for the stadium and then some in less than a decade. Not to mention the Olympics and Super Bowl (something I heard today).

Using the money for schools would be great for now, but in a few years, we'd be right back in the same situation. Using the money for the stadium would bring money in for the city for years. The stadium is vital for the city and the West Side.

-Dan

16 if the giants play there, concerts too, plus other events like soccer & wrestling.

ummmm.. what soccer team? One MLS team in the area is beyond plenty

and ANY major Wrestling event in the area's gonna be in MSG.. that's all there is to it.. the WWE considers that the "home arena" (like WCW did with the Omni)

the Giants will NEVER move into the Jets stadium that's just reality

well will the giants build a new stadium? because giants stadium right now is becoming a veterans stadium like dump. Where else would they go? both teams need new stadiums.

the stadium will create thousands of jobs, it will bring in millions of dollars.

tell cablevision to put the millions they spent lobbying against the stadium towards schools and police.

Edited by '7'

This whole Jets stadium on the West side is a joke. Even the NFL has made asses out of itself by moving the draft away from the Garden to the Javits Center. It shows how greedy they really are. They even made some kind of promise that if it were built, New York would get the Super Bowl.

They don't care about how it would affect traffic. That highway is congested already. Now, they want to stick a stadium in that location and make it even more inconvenient for people to commute.

And what about us regarding taxes? They can talk up a good game. But you know that regardless of what they say, more money is coming out of our pockets for this project.

And I guess because Mayor Bloomberg and the NFL want this stadium and push the Olympics, we don't count. What about what New Yorkers want? They had an Olympic poll recently for all the suitors for 2012 and New York came in dead last. It wasn't overwhelming.

What a surprise :rolleyes: .

And on top of it, they screw over cops and firemen and won't give them raises.

They'll even force them to pull homeless people off the street and make it seem like every aspect of the city is squeaky clean for the IRC. Yep.

It's so much propaganda that it makes me want to :puke: .

As I much as I loathe Cablevision (and they got their own problems; a Hamlet like war between Dad and son), I hope they win this fight.

The Super Bowl is not a guarantee, the NFL owners will vote on whether to have the game in 2010 at the new Jets stadium. The Jets are pretty confident that there next bid on the property will get it done and they can get to breaking ground soon.

not a gurantee, but chances are good since the Jets have league backing for this stadium.

Edited by '7'

The NFL is basically making promises. But really, when it all comes down to it, they're not spending that kind of money for 8 Jets home games. It's all about the Olympics.

The Jets belong in Queens. Build a new Shea Stadium complex. That would make more sense.

Its amazing that the only people that want this stadium are the Jet ownership and developers and NOT Jet fans.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Absolutely...Im one of the biggest anti-Jets fans around, but even I wouldnt want to see this happen for a lot of jets fans....tailgating has become a BIG part of the NFL Experience if you will....and moving the Jets to Manhattan I bet will hurt that experience for a lot of their fans, who, say what you want about them, have been VERY loyal to that franchise for so many years. I know and have heard a few Jets season ticket holders who have expressed those types of feelings already!

NYC has to wake up, they do NOT need the Olympics!!!!

Edited by LOTCB

I think Jets fans want it, Queens would be better for Jets fans in that area, but not for those living in NJ. There is always this kind of conflict when stadiums are being built, everybody wants it close to them. Were Giants fans in Connecticut happy when they moved to NJ?

a West Side Stadium is better than the Meadowlands, Queens or NJ might be plan B for Johnson, who knows. But it seems like it's going to get built anyway, and fans will adjust.

7, judging by the Jet board I read I have to say Manta's right, almost NObody wants this damn stadium, first of all there's the tailgating thing as mentioned, plus the traffic issues and the PSL's. I agree the Jets should have their own stadium or at the very least be partnered with the Giants and not their tenants. It should be in Queens but because Woody and Jay Cro$$ want the Upper West Side and Bloomberg wants the Olympics they're foisting a stadium on the fans that nobody wants.

7, judging by the Jet board I read I have to say Manta's right, almost NObody wants this damn stadium, first of all there's the tailgating thing as mentioned, plus the traffic issues and the PSL's.  I agree the Jets should have their own stadium or at the very least be partnered with the Giants and not their tenants.  It should be in Queens but because Woody and Jay Cro$$ want the Upper West Side and Bloomberg wants the Olympics they're foisting a stadium on the fans that nobody wants.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

but if it gets built, do you think the Jets won't sell out anymore. Do you think Jets fans will be so unhappy that they won't even go to games? Some might be complaining now, but once it gets built you'll see 70,000 every game.

Apparently, the Jets organization sent questionaires to season ticket holders to use as ammo against the Cablevision ads. From what I heard the response was dead against the stadium that they buried the questionaires, according to a friend of mine who works for the Giants 77% of Jet fans polled did NOT want the stadium and are happy at the Meadowlands.

my brother in law holds season tickets, he didn't get a questionnaire

if they did do such a thing, the questions would be loaded in a way where they would have ammo against cablevision regardless of whether people are dead set against it or not. You don't spend money on something like this for nothing.

Edited by '7'