2003 Draft Preview

insanity_gallops

It looks like one of the expansion teams will get some more really good youth to build on. These teams have futures to look forward to. Since the Devils will make the payoffs and the Rangers won't, the Rangers should get a decent pick this year, unless they it away for some more washed up players.

This guy Horton sounds like a great player. I wish there was an easy way to watch all these young guns play.

I heard Philly already has your pick (For Lindros) could be way off though

I think it's the other way around. Wasn't it Lindros AND a conditional 1st in '03 for Hlavac, Johnsson & Brendl? The condition being Lindros play X amount of games, which he did...so do the Rangers get their 1st in 2003?

Gotta admit though, giving up a first rounder & co. for Lindros would have seemed like a brilliant move had the Lindros of old come to play for the Rangers. Unfortunately, all those concussions have him backing off of his power game from the glory years of #88.

Rangers didn't catch any breaks with this deal though, I'd argue.

There's also a forward :

Corey Locke, who scored more than 75 pts in only 35 games this year with Ottawa 67's in the OHL...

why he's not even listed in the top 30?... he could score more points than Gretzky or Gilmour in the OHL...

why?

He's 5-8.

too small for the scouts.

so the Devils will draft him lol :P

There's also a forward :

Corey Locke, who scored more than 75 pts in only 35 games this year with Ottawa 67's in the OHL...

why he's not even listed in the top 30?... he could score more points than Gretzky or Gilmour in the OHL...

why?

He's 5-8.

too small for the scouts.

so the Devils will draft him lol :P

If those stats are true, I hope teams overlook this kid so he comes to Jersey.

He's not too small for the scouts. When the scouts see a small guy, like Pierre Marc Bouchard, they'll talk about him.

This happens every year.. just check out the QMJHL/OHL/WHL scoring leaders each year. Very rarely do they find success in the NHL.. and certainly not the percentage you'd think.

The Devils will go off the board, as usual.

If the Rangers gave up a conditional 1st in the Lindros deal, it was an excellent move. Did Sather ever think he'd still be involved in the lottery draft at this point? Hell, Sather can't draft worth a damn anyway, he's selected more busts than Hugh Hefner. It's just an example of 'when it rains, it pours'.. Sather gambled that he'd be in the top 10 of the NHL, and no Rangers fans would care about this. He probably lost the gamble.