Player Buyouts/Re-Signings Thread

Satans Hockey

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=131704

Lightning re-sign Tim Taylor

TSN.ca Staff

7/28/2005 2:32:51 PM

The Tampa Bay Lightning have re-signed veteran center Tim Taylor to a multi-year contract, General Manager Jay Feaster announced today.

Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

"Tim Taylor has demonstrated time and again not only his abilities as a hockey player but his outstanding leadership abilities, both of which enabled us to with the Stanley Cup," Feaster said. "We are absolutely thrilled to have Tim back in the fold and we deeply appreciate that Tim recognized the difficult situation we are in trying to fit in all of our core players under the cap. Tim demonstrated his commitment to staying here and repeating as Stanley Cup champions by accepting less money than he might have garnered on the open market."

Taylor, 36, appeared in all 82 regular season games for the Lightning in 2003-04 and played a vital leadership role during Tampa Bay's 2004 Stanley Cup run while skating in all 23 games. He put up his best numbers with the Lightning in 2003-04, tallying seven goals and adding 15 assists with 25 penalty minutes.

Taylor led the team in face-off percentage, winning 59.6 percent in 2003-04, and is annually near the NHL lead in that category.

"It's nice to be back and it will be nice to start playing hockey again," Taylor said. "I'm excited about our chances of doing this thing all over again."

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God, i don't want to lose bouwmeester if he comes to the panthers...i'm happy that biron will probably get bought out. But i really think the main reason i want pronger on the panthers is to help the development of bouwmeester...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, but the very thing that makes a Pronger available to a Florida, the cap, makes those kinds of decisions necessary.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ya i know that but....the thing is. If the panthers do get pronger it will most likely be a one year engagement. And in that case it would be silly to get pronger for just a one year run to hopefully get to the playoffs and go deep. And i don't think losing a guy who is so valuable to us NOW and down the road would make it worth it. Its just not "sure" enough for me.

Personally i really wanted pronger on either the thrashers or panthers, for 2 main reasons. 1) leadership 2)most dominant dman in the game. His leadership could really help out a team like florida who didn't have a captain for a full year just a while ago. Or atlanta who's leader is freaking shawn mcchrean, i like the guy but he's not a captain. Also both atlanta and florida have some really good defense prospects and there is no doubt in my mind that he would help mentor them, but it would really be needed over a long term time...Bouwmeester no doubt in my mind has pronger potential, he won't be as mean, but his skating will no doubt be better. They'll be different, but he has the potential to make that impact, which is why i would love him to come to the panthers. And he could really help out kraijeck with desicion making. And so on with a lot of other panthers dmen.

I love sean hill, but as a no.1 dman? I'm shaky about that.

Overall through all that rambling. I wouldn't want to give up bouwmeester for a quick stop and go with the panthers to get pronger in a one year thing. I'd like a nice long term deal. Thrashers i would give up coburn, but once again only if its a long term deal.

This kind of conflict is why i didn't want the freaking blues to qualify him.

Shanny's back for one more go 'round with the Wings.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=131712

Shanahan staying with Red Wings

Brendan Shanahan

TSN.ca Staff

7/28/2005 3:47:43 PM

Brendan Shanahan is returning to Detroit.

The Red Wings announced on Thursday that Shanahan exercised his player option for the 2005-06 season.

The 36-year old will make $2.4 million this season.

"He can do a lot of things," Red Wings general manager Ken Holland told the Detroit News. "He's a veteran, he's a leader, and he can score goals."

Shanahan scored 53 points in 2003-04. He had until 5pm et today to exercise his option or he would have become an unrestricted free-agent.

Thank you for setting the bar Shanny!

Wow. Friesen makes almost as much money as Brendan Shanahan. And Brendan had TWENTY-FIVE goals last season. :) *pokes Redrum*

BTW - why was Shanahan's price tag so low? He's hit 20 goals every year since his rookie year? Was the contract front-loaded with a low-ball option year?

Thank you for setting the bar Shanny!

Wow. Friesen makes almost as much money as Brendan Shanahan. And Brendan had TWENTY-FIVE goals last season. :) *pokes Redrum*

BTW - why was Shanahan's price tag so low? He's hit 20 goals every year since his rookie year? Was the contract front-loaded with a low-ball option year?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that might be it. They might have thought....o he might retire after this year. A power forward like him might wear down with age....I'm just kinda guessing around.

I actually think the red wings got quite the deal. Even if he slumped a bit last year, his leadership cannot be ignored.

I will hold you personally responsible if he explodes. :P

Probably. Remember also that this is post-rollback. According to TSN's team tracker, he was set for $3 million pre-rollback.

CANUCKS RE-SIGN THREE DRAFT PICKS

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager and Senior Vice-President Dave Nonis announced today that the Canucks have signed forwards Marc-Andre Bernier and Francois-Pierre Guenette and defenceman Nathan McIver to their first pro contracts. In keeping with club policy, terms of the deals were not disclosed.

Bernier, Guenette and McIver were all drafted by the Canucks in 2003 and needed to be signed by today

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=131720

Preds sign five, including captain

TSN.ca Staff

7/28/2005 4:24:21 PM

Nashville Predators General Manager David Poile announced today that the club has signed center Greg Johnson. In keeping with club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Johnson, 34, is the Predators' all-time franchise leader in games played with 434, and ranks among all-time team leaders in goals, assists and points. He was the first player to appear in over 400 games and post over 200 points as a Predator. The Thunder Bay, Ontario native is one of only three 1998 expansion-draft selections, along with Tomas Vokoun and Scott Walker, remaining on the Predators.

Johnson captained Nashville to its first NHL playoff appearance in the spring of 2004. Nashville's top defensive center and top face-off pivot, he also set a franchise record in 2003-04 with four shorthanded goals. The 2003-04 season was his second campaign as team captain.

The Predators also announced Thursday that the club has exercised its contract options for 2005-06 on goaltender Chris Mason and forward Vernon Fiddler and signed forwards Libor Pivko and Jerred Smithson to new contracts.

Terms of the deals were not disclosed.

Mason, 29, went 4-4-1 with a 2.18 goals-against average and a .926 save percentage in 17 games with Nashville in 2003-04. In 2004-05, Mason led Valerengen IF Oslo (Norway) to a league championship, recording a 1.79 GAA in 20 regular-season games and a 2.01 GAA in 11 post-season tilts. He was named both the league's top goaltender and the playoff most valuable player.

Fiddler, 25, notched 20 goals, 22 assists and a team-high +19 rating in 73 games this past season for the Milwaukee Admirals of the American Hockey League. He has notched six points in 36 career NHL games with Nashville and was originally signed as a free agent by the Predators on May 6, 2002.

Pivko, 25, posted 20 points in 56 games with Milwaukee this past season. The 6-3, 214-pound left winger has appeared in one NHL contest with Nashville.

Smithson, 26, recorded 11 goals and 11 assists in a team-high 80 games for Milwaukee in 2004-05. The 6-3, 194-pound center, who signed as a free agent last summer, posted three assists and 25 penalty minutes in 30 NHL games with the Los Angeles Kings in 2002-03 and 2003-04.

Wild ink O'Sullivan to rookie contract

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=131708

TSN.ca Staff

7/28/2005 3:16:47 PM

SAINT PAUL/MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. - Minnesota Wild President and General Manager Doug Risebrough announced today that the team has signed center Patrick O'Sullivan to a rookie contract.

As per team policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed.

Minnesota's second round selection in 2003 (56th overall), O'Sullivan has tallied more than 30 goals in each of his four seasons in the Ontario Hockey League.

"We have followed Patrick's progress in the Ontario Hockey League very closely and see a very bright future for him in a Wild sweater," Risebrough said. "We are very pleased to retain him and to know that he'll have an opportunity to make an impact with our organization."

O'Sullivan finished fifth in the OHL in scoring last season with 90 points in 57 games while leading the Mississauga IceDogs to the Central Division Championship.

Click here to find out more!

The Winston Salem, N.C. native led the IceDogs in points (90), goals (31) and assists (59), and claimed OHLPlayer of the Week honors three times. O'Sullivan was also named the league's February Player of the Month after notching 25 points and 10 goals in a 12-game span that included eight multi-point games.

The 5-foot-11, 190-pound center has also competed three times as a member of Team USA in the World Junior Championships. In 2004 O'Sullivan scored the game-winner in Team USA's 4-3 win over Team Canada in the gold medal game.

Last year, in his final World Junior Championships, he led the team in scoring with eight points in seven games

Now, I'm a bit unclear about this prospect-signing deadline.

Since it is now past the 5pm EST (2pm PST) deadline, what are the guidelines determining whether prospects are retained by the team that drafted them, and what makes them return to the draft?

Thanks to those who can help clarify this for me.

Edited by insanity_gallops

BTW, Derek, I was wrong about Blackburn.  That'll teach me to trust ESPN.  They put last year's signing of him among the CURRENT transactions.  I went back to get the link for you, took a second look at the article and noticed the date on it.  I wonder what will happen with him now that the Rangers came to terms w/Montoya.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha... figures.

I'd have to agree with Petey regarding most of the buyouts and other signings taking place tomorrow. It will probably be chaotic.

I see the Wild inked O'Sullivan to a contract. He's going to be a heck of a player.

Blues pick up option on Lalime

TSN.ca Staff

7/28/2005 4:35:51 PM

ST. LOUIS - St. Louis Blues General Manager Larry Pleau announced Thursday that the club is exercising its rights to pick-up the options for the 2005-06 season for goaltender Patrick Lalime, and defensemen Andy Roach and Matt Walker.

Lalime, 31, played in 57 games during the 2003-04 season with the Ottawa Senators, posting a 25-23-7 record along with a 2.29 goals-against average. He has spent the past five NHL seasons with Ottawa.

Roach, 31, played last season with Lausanne HC of the Swiss National League while appearing in 14 regular-season games, collecting nine points (four goals, five assists) after spending the previous five seasons in the German Elite League. He is a two-time member of the U.S. Men's National Team at the International Ice Hockey Federation World Championship, and played collegiate hockey at Ferris State University.

Walker, 25, played last season with the Worcester IceCats in the American Hockey League, tallying six points. The 6-3, 236-pound defenseman split the 2003-04 season between St. Louis and Worcester.

Edited by Satans Child

Blackhawks sign four picks

TSN.ca Staff

7/28/2005 5:43:01 PM

Chicago Blackhawks General Manager Dale Tallon announced Thursday that the team has signed defenceman, Brent Seabrook, center Colin Fraser, goaltender, Corey Crawford and defensemen, Dustin Byfuglien.

Terms of the agreements were not disclosed.

"We're happy we to get these signings done," said Tallon. "We're excited to have them as part of the Blackhawk family. Each one of them will be an important part of our future. Corey has a chance to be a number one goaltender in this league. He's a big kid coming off some great years in junior. Fraser is a leader and a potential captain. He's a tough, hard-nosed two-way centerman. Seabrook is very smart defensively. He moves the puck and passes well with a great shot from the point. Byfuglien is tremendously skilled for a man of his size. He's got great hands and a big shot."

Seabrook, a 20-year old, 6'3", 215 pound defensemen was the Blackhawks 1st round pick, 14th overall, in the 2003 NHL Entry. He played five seasons for Lethbridge of the Western Hockey League.

Fraser, a 20-year old, 6'1", 190 pound center was originally drafted by the Philadelphia Flyers in the 3rd round, 69th overall, in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft. He was acquired by the Blackhawks along with Jim Vandermeer and a 2nd round pick in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft from the Flyers in exchange for Alex Zhamnov and a 4th round pick in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft. Fraser played four seasons for Red Deer of the Western Hockey League.

Seabrook and Fraser both were members of the Gold Medal winning Canadian National Junior Team at the 2005 World Junior Championship.

Crawford, a 20-year old, 6'2", 183 pound netminder was the Blackhawks 2nd round pick, 52nd overall, in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft. He played four seasons for Moncton of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

Byfuglien, a 20-year old, 6'3", 245 pound defensmen was the Blackhawks 8th round pick, 245th overall, in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft. He played parts of four seasons with Brandon and primarily Prince George of the Western Hockey League.

Caps sign 2003 first-rounder Fehr

Sports Ticker

7/28/2005 6:13:07 PM

WASHINGTON (Ticker) - The Washington Capitals locked up one of their top prospects Thursday, signing right wing Eric Fehr to a three-year contract.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

Selected 18th overall in 2003, Fehr had an exceptional season with Brandon of the Western League in 2004-05, collecting a league-leading 59 goals and 111 points en route to the Bobby Clarke Trophy as the WHL's top scorer and Player of the Year honors. The 19-year-old added 16 goals and 16 assists in 24 postseason games, leading the Wheat Kings to the WHL finals.

"Eric is an exceptional young player who has shown continued improvement since we drafted him two years ago," Capitals general manager George McPhee said. "We are happy to have him under contract and look forward to his future with the Capitals."

In four seasons with Brandon, the 6-4, 200-pound Fehr has amassed 155 goals and 286 points in 279 games.

Blue Jackets pick up Suchy's option

TSN.ca Staff

7/28/2005 6:28:14 PM

The Columbus Blue Jackets have exercised the team option on defenseman Radoslav Suchy for the 2005-06 season and have signed 2003 Entry Draft picks Philippe Dupuis and Marc Methot, General Manager Doug MacLean announced Thursday. Dupuis and Methot were signed to three-year contracts.

As is club policy, terms of the deals were not disclosed.

Suchy, 29, was acquired from the Phoenix Coyotes following the 2003-04 season. He has appeared in 372 NHL games over five seasons, recording 12 goals and 51 assists for 63 points with a +31 plus/minus rating.

The 6'2", 196-pound defenseman has also averaged 80 games per season over the past three NHL campaigns. In 2003-04, he notched a career-high 7-14-21 in 82 games with Phoenix.

The Kezmarok, Slovakia native scored 5-10-15 with 28 penalty minutes in 34 games for Poprad of the Slovakian Extraliga in 2004-05.

Dupuis, 20, was a fourth round pick by the Blue Jackets in the 2003 Entry Draft. The 6'0", 192-pound center scored 34 goals, 50 assists and recorded a plus-minus rating of plus-25 while playing in 62 games for Rouyn-Noranda.

Methot, 20, was a sixth round pick by the Blue Jackets in the 2003 Entry Draft. The 6'3", 193-pound defenseman helped lead the London Knights to Ontario Hockey League regular season and post-season titles as well as the Memorial Cup championship during the 2004-05 season. The Ottawa, Ontario native scored 16 points in 67 games for the Knights and ranked fourth in the OHL with a +52 plus-minus rating.

Oilers sign three to rookie deals

TSN.ca Staff

7/28/2005 6:44:12 PM

The Edmonton Oilers have agreed to terms with forwards Marc-Antoine Pouliot, Jean-Francois Jacques and Troy Bodie, all to three-year entry level contracts.

Pouliot, the Oilers' first round draft pick in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft, captained the Rimouski Oceanic to a berth in the 2005 Memorial Cup. The 6'2", 190-pound Quebec City, Quebec native recorded 114 points in 70 games with the Oceanic last season.

Jacques, a 6'4", 217-pound left-winger was drafted by the Oilers in the second round of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft. The 20-year-old captained the Baie Comeau Drakkar for the third consecutive season in 2004-05 and notched 78 points in 69 games.

Bodie, who was drafted by the Oilers in the ninth round of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft, had a breakthrough season with the WHL's Kelowna Rockets last season, notching 24 goals and 48 points in 72 games. The 6'5", 205-pound native of Portage La Prairie, Manitoba helped Kelowna earn their second consecutive Memorial Cup berth in 2005.

Stars sign Belle, Crombeen

Sports Ticker

7/28/2005 7:36:11 PM

DALLAS (Ticker) - Shawn Belle's path to the NHL just got a little shorter.

A first-round pick of the St. Louis Blues in 2003, Belle signed a three-year contract Thursday with the Dallas Stars, who acquired the defenseman in June 2004.

Selected 30th overall, Belle has spent the past five seasons with Tri-City of the Western League. In 2004-05, the 20-year-old collected 13 goals and 32 assists in 62 games.

Belle, a native of Edmonton, has enjoyed success in international competition, winning gold medals with Team Canada in the 2005 World Junior Championship, 2003 World Under-18 Championship and 2002 Eight Nations Cup.

The Blues also signed right wing B.J. Crombeen to a three-year contract Thursday.

Drafted in the second round in 2003, the 20-year-old Crombeen was a teammate of Belle's on Canada's gold medal-winning squad at the 2003 World Under-18 Championship. The son of former NHL forward Mike Crombeen, he scored 31 goals and 49 points in 63 games with Barrie of the Ontario League last season.

"We are very pleased to have reached agreements with Shawn Belle and B.J. Crombeen," Dallas general manager Doug Armstrong said. "Both players have excelled at the junior level and we look forward to their continued development in our organization."