Devil of the Season

Elias26

Who is your vote for second best Devil of the regular season?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Gionta had a breakout year but who comes in second?

• Brodeur
    • Matvichuk
    • Parise
    • Gomez
    • Elias
    • Janssen
    • Madden
    • Pandolfo
    • Langenbrunner
    • Brylin
    • Rafalski
    • White
    • Martin
    • Other

Who other than Gionta was most instrumental to the Devils success this season?

If people vote for anyone other than Gomez or Elias could you please post why? I'm just curious and it would be a good conversation.

Edited by Elias26

i would almost argue that elias was MORE instrumental than Gionta as Gio was hot before Patrik returned and the team stunk. It was Elias' return that brought leadership and confidence back to this team. He sparked Gomez resurgence as well.

I agree it's a toss up for me. I went with Gomez but I could have just as well voted for Patty.

IMO Elias has played about as good as he did last season. I think Gomez has really had a break out out season, maybe even more then Gionta. Statwise, Gomez has more the doubled his goal production in any year save his rookie season, and has accumulated a dozen more points then ever before in his career for a single season. On top of that, he is a huge threat, seems like atleast once every other game he takes the puck from out own end and goes coast to coast and makes something happen.

Guest troycrowder25

Gomez has become a star this season. He can take the puck coast to coast better than almost anyone in the league. He's also worked hard on his defense and faceoffs and is now good at both.

I agree with Sundstrom....Gio has been great this season, no doubt...Gomer has proven he is a true star and has had a more than breakout year, again no doubt...but even with those players playing their top game (although it took Gomer a while) the team as a whole wasn't going anywhere and didn't look to be heading in the vicinity of going anywhere until Elias came back...it was his leadership, skill, grit, and determination that turned this team around....I know you can have a great player on a team and the team not do well i.e. Oven chicken, but i don't think you can have an important player on your team if the team is doing horrible...although it's not to take anything away from those who have played brilliantly this season, ala Marty, White, Gomer, and Gio especially....

I voted for Janssen. Had he been up all season, I think the devils would have been viewed as slightly more formidable early on. He gives some spark, and you can always use that!

Otherwise, I would have voted for Elias, cos the team picked up so much with him back, but I felt Janssen could use some recognition.

It's taken these many years for Gomer to realize he is no longer Mogs' manservant. He started out great and then got the idea that his only function was to pass to someone else. Apparently, Jacques Laperrier has been telling him--"come see me, we'll work on your shot" and he finally went (according to Doc). Thank God. I think Gomer is deprogrammed. :P

Like people have said, I think it's a tough choice between Gomez and Elias. Gomez has probably had more of a "breakout" year, in terms of improvement over prior seasons, but it's hard to overlook the impact of Elias' return (among other factors) in this team's success - even beyond his initial impact, having him on that second line, and thus having 2 lines that are legitimate scoring threats, has been huge.

I guess if I can't choose between them, I only have one choice. I vote for.....

Klee!