Quiz: What kind of English do you speak?

SueNJ97

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a bit of linguistic difference for you. Standard British English.

The level of a building that is underground is called the: basement if it's a big building, cellar if it has wine in it or is a house.

What do you call the night before Halloween?: Nothing.

You bring back your groceries in a... bag

The act of covering a house or area in front of a house with toilet paper is called... toilet-papering or loo-rolling

You call sweetened, carbonated beverages: fizzy drinks

You drink from: a drinking fountain, or would if such things existed outside Hyde Park.

You tend to call the sweet spread on top of cake: icing

Do you use the word cruller? no. what on earth is that?

What do you call a traffic situation in which several roads meet in a circle and you have to get off at a certain point? a roundabout.

What do you call an easy class? a doss lesson

If it's raining while the sun is shining, you call it: nothing.

What do you call something that is diagonal from you? diagonal

What is the four wheeled contraption you push around your groceries in? a shopping trolley

You work out in... trainers. Sneakers and tennis shoes are two distinctly different things

"Y'all"... is only said when trying to pretend to be from the deep south.

The second syllable in pajamas sounds like: the a in father

Does "caramel" have two or three syllables? three. how can it have two? ca-ra-mel.

Do you pronounce "aunt" like "ant"? no.

"Route" rhymes with... boot

Mary / marry / merry... all said differently. How do you say them the same? Mary- a as in M-air-y, marry short a, merry short e.

Your Linguistic Profile:

40% General American English

25% Dixie

25% Yankee

5% Upper Midwestern

0% Midwestern

What Kind of American English Do You Speak?

75% General American English

15% Yankee

5% Dixie

0% Midwestern

0% Upper Midwestern

that was an interesting quiz. rotaries was rather confuzzling. some of them like the aunt and ant one i say both ways. there were a few like that.

i don't wear anything other than sandals, save playing hockey and work, so that question wasn't really either for me. i just call my shoes, or stupid things that hurt my feet.

Edited by bruins4777

Here's a bit of linguistic difference for you. Standard British English.

The level of a building that is underground is called the: basement if it's a big building, cellar if it has wine in it or is a house.

What do you call the night before Halloween?: Nothing.

You bring back your groceries in a... bag

The act of covering a house or area in front of a house with toilet paper is called... toilet-papering or loo-rolling

You call sweetened, carbonated beverages: fizzy drinks

You drink from: a drinking fountain, or would if such things existed outside Hyde Park.

You tend to call the sweet spread on top of cake: icing

Do you use the word cruller? no. what on earth is that?

What do you call a traffic situation in which several roads meet in a circle and you have to get off at a certain point? a roundabout.

What do you call an easy class? a doss lesson

If it's raining while the sun is shining, you call it: nothing.

What do you call something that is diagonal from you? diagonal

What is the four wheeled contraption you push around your groceries in? a shopping trolley

You work out in... trainers. Sneakers and tennis shoes are two distinctly different things

"Y'all"... is only said when trying to pretend to be from the deep south.

The second syllable in pajamas sounds like: the a in father

Does "caramel" have two or three syllables? three. how can it have two? ca-ra-mel.

Do you pronounce "aunt" like "ant"? no.

"Route" rhymes with... boot

Mary / marry / merry... all said differently. How do you say them the same? Mary- a as in M-air-y, marry short a, merry short e.

I am with you ciyenne, it wasn't really "English" to me either! I didn't post what I got on it because the choices I wanted to pick weren't offered.

And WTF is a cruller anyway?

And I say Mario as M"ah"rio, no matter who it is.

Edited by ThreeStars

And Nieuwy, not only should they have asked about "fixin' to", but, as someone who nearly married someone from North Texas, I can tell you, they should asked about "can't beat it with a stick" or "someone beat that with a big old ugly stick".

Yeah, I've been guilty of saying, "can't beat that with a stick".

FYI, roundabouts are called traffic circles here - they just put one in my little town. It's the only one I can think of that still exists. They had gotten rid of the ones in Dallas and Fort Worth a long time ago.

My mom - who grew up in the area near where D/FW airport is now, way back in the '30s - says "warsh" for "wash"; "bidy" for "body"; and sometimes "Lard" for "Lord". :D

They just rebuilt a long-standing and heavily-travelled circle here a few years ago to make it safer. I gotta say, they did a great job. It used to be that no one was really sure how many lanes the thing had because the paint had worn away, so there'd be accidents all the time involving people who are too stupid to drive. They rebuilt and repainted it so that the various traffic flows are much clearer.

Edited by RowdyFan42

It has always just been a fancy donut to me.

BTW, 3*s, what does "Carton of Crownies" mean? Maybe I should know, maybe I live in a cave! :P

Can't say I have ever heard that exact expression, but I am guessing in means some thing alsong the lines of:

a pack of friends, or car full of friends or accomplices or something like that.....asuming the "crownies" you speak of are "cronies", phonetically crow-knees. Otherwise, I am at a loss.

And....roundabouts are cool, they keep traffic flowing a lot more than ruddy traffic lights, just no-one knows how to use them here since they are so infrequently encountered, so they don't really work. They have got rid of LOADS of traffic lights in the UK in favour of roundabouts, even if they are just really tiny ones painted on the road.

Edited by ThreeStars