Spectors Trade Rumors 12/02/06

Rock

DECEMBER 2, 2006.

http://www.spectorshockey.net/

BLACKHAWKS GM STILL SHOPPING FOR DEAL.

CHICAGO DAILY HERALD: Tim Sassone reports Blackhawks GM Dale Tallon said he's spoken to 16 NHL general managers on Wednesday in search of a trade. Tallon is seeking an offensive forward, preferable a center, and Sassone reports of rumours linking the 'Hawks to the Lightning and Sabres although Tallon wouldn't be specific. It's believe Tallon is shopping any of his defencemen other than Brent Seabrook or Duncan Keith.

Spector's Note: That leaves Jim Vandermeer, Adrian Aucoin, Jassen Cullimore and Lasse Kukkonen. Aucoin is currently nursing a groin injury and carries a hefty salary so scratch him, and there's been little interest in Cullimore, who's been on the block since October. That leaves Vandermeer and Kukkonen, both of whom could attract interest but singly they won't bring in a scoring forward unless a "sweetener" is added.

ISLES NOT INTERESTED IN LECLAIR.

NEWSDAY: Greg Logan yesterday reported the NY Islanders will look to within for replace the injured Alexei Yashin, who could miss up to a month. A team spokesman said the Isles have little interest in John LeClair (who cleared waivers on Friday). UFA winger Peter Bondra is still available but while the club spoke to him this past summer they found his asking price (seeking a rich bonus structure) unwieldy for their cap.

Spector's Note: The club has thus far been able to adapt to the loss of Yashin, which is a testament to the superb coaching of Ted Nolan.

FLYERS INTERESTED IN LECLAIR?

PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER: Tim Panaccio reports two league sources claims the Flyers have interest in former Flyer John LeClair but only if he passes through re-entry waivers, as they'd only have to pick up half his salary.

Spector's Note: I suspect the Penguins have received a few calls as to their intent regarding LeClair. I think they'll recall him and somebody, possibly the Flyers, could pick him up.

SPECTOR'S MAILBAG.

From "NJDEVILS40": "Just as another rumor floating around on 660WFAN the Devils would be very interested in Souray next season should he still be a UFA. the broadcaster stated the Devils tremendous amount of cap space next season when the all the terrible contracts are up, and the Devils obvious need for a top flight blueliner.

He did start his career here in Jersey and i don;t think he would mind a return but who knows with anything."

can someone explain exactly how much cap space the devils will have in the next offseason?

they'll have a decent amount, but not as much as people think. there are no "terrible contracts" that are really hamstringing the devils. mogilny and mcgillis contracts don't affect the current cap. Luko, Gomez, and Rafaslki are all off the books ($10MM in cap room) but the big two can't be replaced from within so letting them go means picking up a replacement in free agency. if souray is cheaper than rafalski next year, then i'd make that swap. there are not many good centers that are UFA next year and NONE of gomez's caliber. this doesn't take into account the obvious raise that parise is going to get and the likely raise that hale will get. martin, should he still be on the devils next year, will be making at least $2MM/year unless he signs a 3/4.5M deal (not likely).

this of course assumes the cap stays the same or goes up. i think it'll end up being about the same but there's no way its going up to something like $48MM.

they'll have a decent amount, but not as much as people think. there are no "terrible contracts" that are really hamstringing the devils. mogilny and mcgillis contracts don't affect the current cap. Luko, Gomez, and Rafaslki are all off the books ($10MM in cap room) but the big two can't be replaced from within so letting them go means picking up a replacement in free agency. if souray is cheaper than rafalski next year, then i'd make that swap. there are not many good centers that are UFA next year and NONE of gomez's caliber. this doesn't take into account the obvious raise that parise is going to get and the likely raise that hale will get. martin, should he still be on the devils next year, will be making at least $2MM/year unless he signs a 3/4.5M deal (not likely).

this of course assumes the cap stays the same or goes up. i think it'll end up being about the same but there's no way its going up to something like $48MM.

Hale's not likely to get a significant bump. Also, I feel like the Devils could non-tender Martin and take their chances - though I do feel he gets a bad rap here. It depends on how highly the Devils think of Andy Greene or Olli Malmivaara.

Daniel Briere is UFA next year - he is certainly comparable to Gomez. Mats Sundin is also available - while he's getting on in years, I certainly think he'd be a good pickup, as long as he signs for 3 years or less.

Hale's not likely to get a significant bump. Also, I feel like the Devils could non-tender Martin and take their chances - though I do feel he gets a bad rap here. It depends on how highly the Devils think of Andy Greene or Olli Malmivaara.

bad rap or not, why would they non-tender him? he's still a worthwhile asset that they could get more than a draft pick for. i wouldn't want to give him away for nothing.

bad rap or not, why would they non-tender him? he's still a worthwhile asset that they could get more than a draft pick for. i wouldn't want to give him away for nothing.

I think he is saying non-tender him because you can sign him for less than what his qualifying offer would be. It is a gamble so the team would have to be confident in the replacements you would have. In a salary cap world sometimes some risks have to be taken and this risk would be letting other teams make offers to Martin versus how much money you think you could save by not qualifying him.