BEER

TrentonDevils

A nice article for a good laugh:

Beer Taste Test

The best line is the last:

"None of these beers has enough complexity and balance to be excellent, but Coors comes fairly close."

I didn't know that piss-water can be described as tasting excellent.

Well its true.....it does taste excellent....when comparied to stomach bile or actual urine.

This month I have been seeking out session beers. Good tasting beer with low ABV%, picked up Bitter American (in cans!) it is pretty decent. A little more hoppy than I like but it was a refreshing change.

You mean Session brand name? I am into Session Fest. Session Black was kind of average. I like their 10oz bottles. I also noticed they're made by Full Sail. See what looking for calorie info teaches you!

session beer

A beer that is low in alcohol and has a balanced flavor of both hops and malt. The purpose being so that it can be drank over a long session of time with out overwhelming the palate or getting the drinker too intoxicated.

Like, duh!, just kidding. I just heard the term myself and it made sense.

Well that's why I ASKED. I noticed you didn't capitalize the S. But I also wanted to write about what I was drinking of course. Never heard of Bitter American... oughta send a case to the Politics forum :uni:

Ahh 21st Amendment brewery! I just looked it up -- I think I'd heard of/wanted to try Monk's Blood...

Edited by Pepperkorn

I have been looking for 21st Amendment's Hell or High Watermelon for ages, but haven't found it yet. I know it is seasonal but even in season I have been having a hard time finding it.

Also looks like Flounder Brewing in Hillsborough, NJ is coming along based on his Facebook site. He should start brewing sometime this year and will make his beer available in local bars and liquor stores.

Miller Lite is not even all that cheap. Here it's like $20 something for a 30. PBR is like $14 for a 30. I like drinking good beers like Sam Adams, but if I'm down to party Miller Lite is the way to go.

Cousin Robbie... ??? Is that you?!?!?!

One of my husband's cousins nearly got sneered out of a brew pub when he asked if they had Mi... ahhh yes... It was Michelob, not Miller light.

• 2 weeks later...

Been on reddit for some time now and just realized that there might be a beer subreddit....ofcourse there is..with 40K members. Anyway I have been fishing around it for about an hour and it seems awesome so if you have time to kill and feel like learning a bit more about whats out there check it out:

http://www.reddit.com/r/beer/

Also, on r/beer, I just read that Blue Moon came out with a Blackberry Tart Ale. I enjoy blue Moon if there is nothing else on tap where I am but this sounds pretty dame good to me.

Edited by Quinn01

Been on reddit for some time now and just realized that there might be a beer subreddit....ofcourse there is..with 40K members. Anyway I have been fishing around it for about an hour and it seems awesome so if you have time to kill and feel like learning a bit more about whats out there check it out:

http://www.reddit.com/r/beer/

Also, on r/beer, I just read that Blue Moon came out with a Blackberry Tart Ale. I enjoy blue Moon if there is nothing else on tap where I am but this sounds pretty dame good to me.

Reddit, Beer, and hockey!! ALMOST everything you could want in one place! Btw Quinn, I think your estimate was 5 months and 29 days too long, but I passed! Haha

Edited by TheParallax

I just loaded up my Mr Beer home brew. I got it as a christmas gift two years ago and never got around to doing it.

Hope its good. Irish stout in 4-6 weeks (I hope!)

Here is a nice write-up about a nano-brewery that is set to open up around Memorial Day in Hillsborough: Flounder Brewing.

Hillsborough Patch

Looking forward to new faces in the scene. I keep trying to get down to Kane's open beer tasting and brewery tour.

I just loaded up my Mr Beer home brew. I got it as a christmas gift two years ago and never got around to doing it.

Hope its good. Irish stout in 4-6 weeks (I hope!)

I have used mine twice. The first time I made the pale ale then the second time I made a dark stout with molasses...well needless to say it was garbage to drink but cooking with it was awesome. Oh and two bottles blew out the bottom and shot like rockets across the basement. Its fun to play around with but hopefully what you come out in the end with is a hell out alot better then my garbage. haha

You mean Coors came out with it, Blue Moon isn't a brewery, it's just a name Coors uses to hide the fact that it's not really a craft beer.

As for Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar, I just finished one now. I was so excited the last time I was in the store to see that it comes in six packs now! I rarely buy Rogue anymore since I realized that everyone's 22oz bottles tend to be overpriced compared to the 12oz bottles, and almost all of Rogue's beers are only available in 22oz bottles, so it felt good to buy this again without feeling like I'm being raked over the coals.

With regards to homebrewing, my buddies and I just bottled a barleywine and have an IPA fermenting now. We didn't get a brewing kit or anything, we just got some equipment from a store that also sells ingredients and then we boil it in a big pot and ferment it in a five gallon bucket. One of my teammates uses a Mr. Beer homebrewing kit and I don't know if it instructs you to do this or not, but he bottles his beer in plastic soda bottles, which seems to me like it wouldn't keep oxygen out as well as regular beer bottles. It also seems like the recipes they give you are for relatively light beers that are cheap to make, but we like to make beers with more body, so we just look online for recipes. We plan on eventually coming up with our own recipes but we're not that advanced yet. So far we have made a milk stout that came out much hoppier than it should have because we were too drunk to remember to take the hops out, a porter that was fantastic, and the barleywine and IPA that aren't done yet. Without me, my friends made a Belgian that was really good and an imperial stout that was infected but I thought was still very good as long as you referred to it as a cherry imperial stout or something like that haha. It's too bad we will never be able to recreate that one though.

Edited by devilsfan26

I have used mine twice. The first time I made the pale ale then the second time I made a dark stout with molasses...well needless to say it was garbage to drink but cooking with it was awesome. Oh and two bottles blew out the bottom and shot like rockets across the basement. Its fun to play around with but hopefully what you come out in the end with is a hell out alot better then my garbage. haha

Well then, guess storing it in my closet while it ferments is out! LOL

You mean Coors came out with it, Blue Moon isn't a brewery, it's just a name Coors uses to hide the fact that it's not really a craft beer.

As for Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar, I just finished one now. I was so excited the last time I was in the store to see that it comes in six packs now! I rarely buy Rogue anymore since I realized that everyone's 22oz bottles tend to be overpriced compared to the 12oz bottles, and almost all of Rogue's beers are only available in 22oz bottles, so it felt good to buy this again without feeling like I'm being raked over the coals.

With regards to homebrewing, my buddies and I just bottled a barleywine and have an IPA fermenting now. We didn't get a brewing kit or anything, we just got some equipment from a store that also sells ingredients and then we boil it in a big pot and ferment it in a five gallon bucket. One of my teammates uses a Mr. Beer homebrewing kit and I don't know if it instructs you to do this or not, but he bottles his beer in plastic soda bottles, which seems to me like it wouldn't keep oxygen out as well as regular beer bottles. It also seems like the recipes they give you are for relatively light beers that are cheap to make, but we like to make beers with more body, so we just look online for recipes. We plan on eventually coming up with our own recipes but we're not that advanced yet. So far we have made a milk stout that came out much hoppier than it should have because we were too drunk to remember to take the hops out, a porter that was fantastic, and the barleywine and IPA that aren't done yet. Without me, my friends made a Belgian that was really good and an imperial stout that was infected but I thought was still very good as long as you referred to it as a cherry imperial stout or something like that haha. It's too bad we will never be able to recreate that one though.

I am going to have the brown nector next, I saw the six packs also when I was at the store last time.

Yea, I normally wouldn't have the patience for doing this but I am bored. Strangely enough I got a magazine in the mail about homebrew yesterday. It was latin to me with all the items in it but interesting to read anyway.

Well then, guess storing it in my closet while it ferments is out! LOL

I think because I adjusted the recipe by cutting the sugar and replacing with molasses, that is what caused it to burst. I would still put it in a place that if it does happen it wont ruin anything. Just a word to the wise.

DF26, your right I forgot about that but considering it is from the same place that puts Coors out, its really not that bad. Its one of those beers that is the best of the worst so to speak. Like I said, if there isnt anything else better on tap I dont mind drinking Blue Moon.

http://www.njbeer.org/news/we_need_you_to_help_nj_craft_brewers_and_craft_beer_consumers.php

We Need You to Help NJ Craft Brewers and Craft Beer Consumers

For the first time since craft brewing was legalized in New Jersey, there's an opportunity for you to make a difference and help NJ brewers and consumers.

On Monday, March 5th, the New Jersey's Senate Law and Public Safety Committee will meet to vote on S-641. The bill, developed by the Garden State Craft Brewers Guild, will give all craft brewers in the state more flexibility in how, when and where they sell and promote their beer. Current regulations highly restrict what NJ brewers can do--especially when compared to the surrounding states of NY, PA and DE.

Among the changes this legislation proposes include: allowing one company to open more than 2 brewpubs; allowing production breweries to sell beer for on and off premise consumption; allowing breweries and pubs to conduct informational tastings on and off premise; and allowing brewpubs to distribute beer through wholesale network.

By Friday, March 2nd, please contact the 5 members of the Senate Law and Public Safety Committee (listed below) to let them know that you support the legislation as a craft beer consumer and ask them to VOTE YES on the bill.

For your information, Committee Chairman Donald Norcross is already a co-prime sponsor of the legislation. You should thank Chairman Norcross for his sponsorship and for allowing the bill to be voted on in committee on the 5th.

When calling the other members of the committee, you should comment on how this bill will help small brewers continue to create jobs, improve tourism opportunities and cut needless red tape. From the consumer perspective, you should comment on how the bill will allow you to have better access to the locally made craft beers you love and want more of.

Remember, please call or e-mail these members by Friday, March 2nd to make sure your voice is heard and your support for S-641 is registered.

Thank you for your continued support of New Jersey's craft brewers.

Garden State Craft Brewers Guild

Members of the Senate Law and Public Safety Committee

Norcross, Donald - Chair

Audubon Commons Shopping Center

130 Blackhorse Pike

1st Floor

Suite D-3

Audubon, NJ 08106

(856) 547-4800

sennorcross@njleg.org

Greenstein, Linda R. - Vice-Chair

7 Centre Dr.

Suite 2

Monroe, NJ 08831-1565

(609) 395-9911

sengreenstein@njleg.org

Bateman, Christopher

36 East Main St.

Somerville, NJ 08876

(908) 526-3600

senbateman@njleg.org

Holzapfel, James W

852 Highway 70

Brick, NJ 08724

(732) 840-9028

senholzapfel@njleg.org

Sacco, Nicholas J.

9060 Palisade Ave.

North Bergen, NJ 07047

(201) 295-0200

sensacco@njleg.org

Thanks for your support of New Jersey's small brewers.