BEER

TrentonDevils

Visited Ommegang yesterday, which I highly recommend -- the area's great, and they have a really good Belgian cafe on the premises (got the frittes, which are awesome, and chocolate foundue. They mixed three philosophers into the chocolate). Did the tasting, obviously. Here are my opinions:

Double White -- limited release. White beers are never my favorite, but this one was interesting. They used bitter orange peels rather than sweet, which gave it a little more kick.

BPA -- Solid compromise beer (more hops than a Belgian, less than an American style pale ale). Nice citrus flavor. 

Rare vos -- one of my two favorites. Flavorful, due to the spices they added. Goes well with a lot of foods as well.

Hennepin -- Probably the best saison I've had. Saison's aren't my favorite in general, but I really enjoyed this one. Not particularly sour, which I liked.

Abbey ale -- World class, by far my favorite. Perfectly balances spices. If you like the simple, straightforward German beers, definitely not for you, but if you enjoy the mingling of spices and beer in Belgians, you'll love this one. I bought a couple bottles, 1 to share with my brother, 1 to save for 5 years, because they say this one ages really well -- my tour guide had tried one they aged 15 years, and loved it, though a couple people agreed 5 was really the best time.

Three philosophers -- another excellent beer. I preferred the rare vos (which was the dubbel, this was the quadruppel); this one was a little sweeter. Not in a bad way, but I liked the beer kick in the rare vos more.

I also picked up a bottle of their limited release chocolate stout to try.

I love frittes done right. I will add ommegang to my brewery tour list.

Just got back from Traverse City, Michigan (perks of being a teacher, I can spend my summers travelling and drinking beer), which is the best beer state I've experienced (haven't spent enough time in the west to rate them, though I love a bunch of those breweries. Got to the beer and music festival, which was a lot of fun. Best beer I had, though, was at Right Brain and Brewery Terra Firma. Unfortunately, neither distributes far out of northern Michigan, but they were both amazing. Right Brain had a ton of creative beers, including a bunch of IPAs that all tasted different, and didn't fall into the ton of hops/boring flavor trap, and a chocolate mint stout called the dirty girl scout. Best beer I had at Terra Firma was an ancho chile chocolate beer. If you like mole, it's totally for you. And the brewer did a good job balancing beer flavor with the chile/chocolate flavor. 

Also, this will make devsman happy, I wanted to sample beers I couldn't get at home, so, while I did drink Bell's occasionally (couldn't resist), I make it a whole week without drinking Founders, because I could get all the stuff I saw from home.

I do like pumpkin beers but hate the Imperial pumpkins.  I know it is fall and all but I do not need a super-heavy pumpkin tasting beer to satisfy me.

The best pumpkin is still the Pumpkin Ale that Triumph puts out for a limited time in October/November.  The closest I have tasted to that in a bottle is Brooklyn's Post Road Pumpkin Ale.

I do like pumpkin beers but hate the Imperial pumpkins.  I know it is fall and all but I do not need a super-heavy pumpkin tasting beer to satisfy me.

The best pumpkin is still the Pumpkin Ale that Triumph puts out for a limited time in October/November.  The closest I have tasted to that in a bottle is Brooklyn's Post Road Pumpkin Ale.

Love me some Triumph. Wish I lived farther south.

I think I'm going to be in the minority here when I say I think Triumph is a little overrated.  Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather go to Triumph than a lot of other places around because they do make an decent beer, but they usually only have 5 or so beers on tap and a limited (and somewhat overpriced) menu. As a fan of IPAs and pale ales I haven't been overly impressed with those styles from them.  I think Iron Hill spoiled me.  Can't wait until they open a central jersey location.

All that being said I'd certainly be up for trying their pumpkin ale. 

I think I'm going to be in the minority here when I say I think Triumph is a little overrated.  Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather go to Triumph than a lot of other places around because they do make an decent beer, but they usually only have 5 or so beers on tap and a limited (and somewhat overpriced) menu. As a fan of IPAs and pale ales I haven't been overly impressed with those styles from them.  I think Iron Hill spoiled me.  Can't wait until they open a central jersey location.

All that being said I'd certainly be up for trying their pumpkin ale. 

After trying about 1/2 to 2/3 of the brewpubs in all of NJ I have to say wait until you tried some other brewpubs here in NJ.

In terms of beer, I think their IPA is the smoothest around and is not overhopped to oblivion.  Their special beers are usually pretty good as well such as their Pumpkin Ale and their Rauchbier.  However I do have to agree that their standards like Honey Blonde and Amber Ale are just meh.

In terms of cost, I used to think they were expensive and attributed them being in affluent areas such as Princeton and New Hope.  However, compared to other brewpubs like Trap Rock, Basil T's, and Harvest Moon, their pricing is kinda on the lower to middle range for brewpubs.  The quality of the food can be up and down depending on when you go there.  Between 2006-2008 in Princeton the food was spotty at best, but since about 2010 it has steadily gotten better.

Not only that but Triumph is opening a new location in Red Bank that is due to be open I believe in 2014, so that will turn them basically into NJ's first Brewpub chain.

However when it is all said and done, Triumph is still my 2nd favorite brewpub in NJ after Long Valley.

Edited by DevsMan84

After trying about 1/2 to 2/3 of Triumph I have to say wait until you tried some other brewpubs here in NJ.

In terms of beer, I think their IPA is the smoothest around and is not overhopped to oblivion.  Their special beers are usually pretty good as well such as their Pumpkin Ale and their Rauchbier.  However I do have to agree that their standards like Honey Blonde and Amber Ale are just meh.

In terms of cost, I used to think they were expensive and attributed them being in affluent areas such as Princeton and New Hope.  However, compared to other brewpubs like Trap Rock, Basil T's, and Harvest Moon, their pricing is kinda on the lower to middle range for brewpubs.  The quality of the food can be up and down depending on when you go there.  Between 2006-2008 in Princeton the food was spotty at best, but since about 2010 it has steadily gotten better.

Not only that but Triumph is opening a new location in Red Bank that is due to be open I believe in 2014, so that will turn them basically into NJ's first Brewpub chain.

However when it is all said and done, Triumph is still my 2nd favorite brewpub in NJ after Long Valley.

I live near the Princeton one so that's my only point of reference for Triumph.  You are right about them being spotty food wise.  Service wise as well.  Sometimes you get your beers and food fast and the server is attentive and others they are very slow.  Depending on who you get of course.  I am eager to try some of their seasonal selections. Edit:  I was actually there on Friday and the Falconer IPA was to my linking! Forgot about that beer!

Previously I lived in southern NJ and Iron Hill Brewery in Maple Shade was my favorite place to go.  They have a location in Voorhees as well now and are looking to expand into central NJ in 2014.  After trying the two I think Iron Hill blows away Triumph but it may be difficult to compare as Iron Hill is in a bigger space and seems to have much more brewing capacity.  I'd def recommend a trek if you're ever down in that area.  Sometimes I take the 50 minute or so drive to meet friends or family there.  Their seasonal beers are excellent but their standard beers are also meh most of the time.  They usually have about 6-8 year round standard beers on tap and another 6-8 seasonal rotating beers.

Seems like NJ is relaxing it's alcohol laws and allowing places like Triumph and Iron Hill to expand into other parts of the state which is a great relief.  We need it! :thumbsup:  :cheers:

Edited by gardenstatepkwy

Triumph's strength has always been their more creative beers IMO. I'm not overly impressed with their staples. I also like the food and service at the New Hope location a lot, though that's def a trek.

Triumph's strength has always been their more creative beers IMO. I'm not overly impressed with their staples. I also like the food and service at the New Hope location a lot, though that's def a trek.

This is accurate.  Their staples are alright, but nothing great.  I actually avoid the Honey Blonde as I find it to be fairly flavorless.

However their creative beers are great and I think their Bengal Gold IPA is amongst the best IPA's of any brewpub in NJ.  Can't wait for their pumpkin beer in about a month and in the winter their Rauchbier (smoke beer).

Also some good ones from them are Bohemian Pilsner, Vienna Lager, Framboise, Witbier, Saison and Oktoberfest.

In terms of food their Triumph Burger is always tasty and I think their soups are underrated.  However for the appetizers outside of the pretzels, pizza and wings, they are pretty underwhelming and the portions are quite small.

Edited by DevsMan84

• 2 weeks later...

I've yet to get a marzen/oktoberfest I was crazy about, but want to like them more, and feel like it might be the ones I've bought. Anybody got suggestions?

I've yet to get a marzen/oktoberfest I was crazy about, but want to like them more, and feel like it might be the ones I've bought. Anybody got suggestions?

I got Great Lakes Oktoberfest the other day. I think it is solid, but don't think it is nearly as good as beer advocate has them rated.

Sam Adams is also solid with their octoberfest but nothing spectacular.

My favorites in this style are Paulaner and Hacker Pschorr

I got Great Lakes Oktoberfest the other day. I think it is solid, but don't think it is nearly as good as beer advocate has them rated.

Sam Adams is also solid with their octoberfest but nothing spectacular.

My favorites in this style are Paulaner and Hacker Pschorr

Had the Sam and could take it or leave it. I'll try to track down the Paulaner or the Hacker Pschorr. Thanks.