Peca to Columbus

MantaRay

In the latest endeavor to get a contract from ANYONE, Peca is now setting his sites on Columbus, because Svitov signed with his hometown team Avangard Omsk of the Russian Super League for the 2007-08 season.

This guy is desperate.

http://www.dispatch.com/dispatch/content/s...C4_F67LALU.html

Defense-minded center would fill void left by Svitov's departure

Sunday, August 19, 2007 3:40 AM

By Aaron Portzline

The Columbus Dispatch

Michael Peca

The Blue Jackets are pursuing unrestricted free-agent center Michael Peca, but they aren't likely to get an answer until Monday, at the earliest.

"I've spoken to Columbus about Michael," said Don Meehan, Peca's agent. "We've talked to a number of teams, really, and I'll sit down with Michael on Monday to discuss where we want to go."

The Blue Jackets joined the Peca chase Friday after learning that center Alexander Svitov will play in Russia next season. Svitov's unexpected move freed up $1 million, and the Blue Jackets already were between $800,000 and $1 million below their player budget, meaning they could make Peca a significant offer.

In keeping with other offers Peca has received this summer, the Blue Jackets are likely to offer a one-year contract laden with incentives, such as games played, goals scored and an additional sum if the team reaches the playoffs.

A two-year offer is possible, but incentive clauses aren't permitted in multiyear contracts under the NHL's collective-bargaining agreement.

Meehan refused to discuss what term or dollars Peca was seeking, either from the Blue Jackets or other clubs.

Peca reportedly has been on the verge of signing with the New York Rangers, but the Rangers have salary-cap issues after signing free-agent centers Chris Drury and Scott Gomez this summer. Reports also say the deal has been agreed upon but that it's on hold until general manager Glen Sather returns from vacation.

Peca was in New York two days last week, meeting with Rangers officials. Team doctors examined his leg, which was broken and surgically repaired in December.

"It's a nonissue," Peca told the New York Daily News. "I've been skating for the better part of 2

This goes on a bit of a tangent, but it amazes me to hear Federov getting bumped to the second line to make room for Peca...boy has his stock dropped or what?

I haven't seen much of his play over the past couple of seasons, but for his skill package he really should have had the same type of staying power as guys like Sakic and Sundin. When he was on his game he was as good as it gets.

Rangers are right by passing on Peca. He is the kind of guy you want on your team for a stretch run and post-season...if he is healthy. Simply put he is not a guy you really need the first 60 games of the season.

This makes sense for Columbus, sign him for $$$, deal him at the deadline for a 3rd round pick.

I wouldn't mind Peca once Feb comes, but not before that.

The guy who will be in demand come deadline time is Holik.

I'm just glad this whole Peca thing is over. I would've been happy either way if they had or hadn't signed Peca.

My first choice to fill the role of the 3rd line Center was Brandon Dubinsky, then Peca, then Anisimov.

So I really didn't care either way.

I just wish we would've gotten a simple yes or no from Peca on which team he was going to in the beginning instead of wasting everybodies time, and making this into a whole big saga.

Oh well, i'm still happy that a kid will get the spot probably in camp.

Good luck in Columbus, Peca.