Rangers, Lundqvist Looking Long-Term

Devil Dan 56

Yea, thats why they are fine. They only have 20mil committed. They get to sign their most important players or the ones they want and then worry about bringing in filler players. It be different if all those UFA's had contracts for next year and the rangers only had 10mil to sign like 5 or 6 of their top guys.
Edited by MantaRay

I never had any thoughts of Lundy leaving NYR but it is going to be a problem for them to just maintain their current roster of players, let alone try and improve it, due to the cap. I would love to know the per year numbers being tossed around by both sides right now.

There's no math mistake. Beyond those two they have almost no one signed for next season and those players that they do are signed on entry level contracts.

Jagr is not signed through next season. He has to reach certain incentives to have his contract automatically renew.

I don't know, it depends if you believe Larry Brooks or not (which, when it comes to doomsday contract-predictions, I am less-than-inclined to do so, but he has been right on about certain CBA stuff). Brooks has been pushing the at-least-$8 million a year scenario. Now, the question is, since we know he's not going to accept the kind of $$$ Marty's making, despite Marty's 3 Cups and 3 Vezinas, because I'm guessing he would consider it an insult not to be making more than Marty, will he demand more than Giguere, who has a Conn Smythe (even if it is either Marty's or Niedermayer's trophy) and a Cup? Giguere and Luongo make the same average per year, $6.75M. It's certainly hard to argue that Luongo, at the very least, isn't as much or more important to the Canucks than Lunqvist is to the Rangers, but, hey, that's not the point. I hate to use the Derek Coleman quote here, but, "It's not what you're worth, it's what you can negotiate."

However, in terms of the cap for next year, think about this. They actually have only about $19M in contracts tied up for next year right now. Admittedly, that for about 5 players and they have only 1 d-man under contract (Staal). If Jagr somehow makes his automatic renewal clauses (84 points and they win a playoff round) they are somewhere between $23M and $24M. That's not horrific. The question really becomes how much they want to spend on their defense next year. Because they have to sign almost an entire defense. I'm assuming they don't want to keep Malik and they probably don't want to re-up Mara at that price ($3M) or higher. But, for all they complain about the man not shooting, Rosival is going to be expensive. Unless he decides to go home, which he might do if Jagr isn't back. But, it is possible that they decide to spend about the same as they did this year on the defense, around $10M. They could pay HL something pretty high, even $8M, and absorb it. They are just going to have to have their 3rd and 4th liners making close to the minimum.

I can't imagine Rosizval goes home. There've been a lot of 'player X goes home' scenarios - hell, Lidstrom was supposed to go back around 2000. They almost always stay, especially when they're going to make 6 times what they can here than they would there.

Girardi and Tyutin aren't under contract for next year but they will be. Then you've got guys who could be fringe NHLers like Hutchinson and Pock in Hartford, plus someone like Ivan Baranka whom the Rangers think somewhat highly of. I can't imagine the Rangers keeping either Mara or Malik, but I can definitely see them going after Mattias Norstrom. Throw in a mid-range 'minutes eater' like Karel Rachunek (not him, obviously) and have them resign Roszival at 6 million per, and it's not that big a deal.

I also cannot imagine that Petr Prucha is in a Rangers' uniform next season.