Rangers, Lundqvist Looking Long-Term

Devil Dan 56

Long Term Contract For Lundqvist Next Ranger Goal

As of the ball dropping Monday night, any contract extension or new deal for 2008-09 and beyond no longer affects this season's team payrolls for salary-cap purposes. So the Rangers, who have only about $2 million of room under this season's $50.3 million cap, now can sign Lundqvist to the lucrative, multiyear deal Meehan and GM Glen Sather discussed last summer but couldn't then fit onto a payroll that was bloated by the signings of free-agent centers Scott Gomez and Chris Drury.

Long Term Contract For Lundqvist Next Ranger Goal

I know a few people on the board were expressing dreams of an offer sheet whisking Queen Henrietta to the magical West Coast. Hell, I would've loved to see it, too. But I can't say I'm shocked to see them jump on this immediately.

Especially after the offer sheets last year, I think we'll see Lundqvist, Phanuef, Ovechkin, etc, all signed nice and early.

I never had any thoughts of Lundy leaving NYR but it is going to be a problem for them to just maintain their current roster of players, let alone try and improve it, due to the cap. I would love to know the per year numbers being tossed around by both sides right now.

Even Lundqvist accepts to take the home town discount, I still believe that Henrik will get a hefty raise from this year's 4.35M. He is still a young goalie who is just entering his prime, so even a lengthy deal makes sense for the Rags, but the cap average per year would be around 6M. Therefore, I don't think the Rags can go after big free agent in the upcoming summer.

Even Lundqvist accepts to take the home town discount, I still believe that Henrik will get a hefty raise from this year's 4.35M. He is still a young goalie who is just entering his prime, so even a lengthy deal makes sense for the Rags, but the cap average per year would be around 6M. Therefore, I don't think the Rags can go after big free agent in the upcoming summer.
Edited by Devil Dan 56

i wonder if the league will eventually crack down on queen henrick lundquist and his comical cheater pads?

watching the end of the game in calgary...they just look silly.

i'm not sure who's worse him or luongo...

In case you haven't noticed, Jaromir Jagr's been pretty terrible this season. The Rangers might be better off without him, as crazy as that sounds.

The Rangers will likely have to say goodbye to either Roszival, Jagr, or Sean Avery. I don't think they'll be that much worse off though, as they can sign a lesser player with a similar skill set. Throw in their young players' maturation and reports of their demise are greatly exaggerated.