When to call in sick to work?

Don

Wednesday evening I started coming down with something. Sore throat, plugged sinuses, headache, lack of energy, coughing, lack of appetite... the normal common cold type of stuff. I couldn't sleep much on Wednesday night and what little sleep I did get was very restless. I did go to work on Thursday as I had a meeting with the directors which would have a huge impact on what I and my team would be working on for the next year... I couldn't miss that meeting. But I did call in sick on Friday.

My call to my boss:

Me: "I'm not feeling very well, so I'm not going to be coming in today."

My boss: "*sigh* *clicks tongue* Okay. Whatever."

It's my first sick day in 3 years. And it sounded like he didn't believe me. Either that or he doesn't think I am sick enough to stay home. I didn't do the old "I'm *cough* not feeling *hack* *wheeze* well today" shtick.

Anyhow, I did go to the doctor and she said that it is the common cold - just drink lots of fluids and get some rest. But she did say that I should take at least the weekend and Monday off from work even if I am feeling better because the common cold is very contagious during the first 3 days and can continue to be contagious up to day 7.

I *am* feeling better... still stuffed up, still coughing, but the headache is gone, my appetite is back, I can swallow without wincing.... but I"m thinking about Monday. I could probably go to work today if it was a workday - I'm not 100% but good enough - so likely on Monday it will be the same if not better.

Where do you draw the line for sick days? Is there "sick day" etiquette?

It depends on your threshold of pain and ability to work through discomfort.

IMO if you cannot perform you duties or you are at the point where you could

cause harm to yourself or others. I have a employee who will call out sick if

he has the sniffles.

i went to work a couple of months ago with terrible fever and probably the flu. there was to much that i had to do at work to even thinking about staying home. 3 days later 10 people called in sick from my department... the boss wasnt that happy about that :D

so, yah, if you are contagious it might be a good idea to stay home.

on the other hand i have a coworker that calls in sick 2-3 times a month and constantly whine about not getting a promotion

Edited by Swede

I say unless you are sick to the point where you can't really do what you need to do at work, go in anyway, this way you can call in sick when you're not really sick and just want a day off. By doing this, you get to enjoy your days off by doing whatever you want instead of laying in bed resting all day, and when you do have to call in sick people may think you are really sick since you diligently came in all the other times when you were sick. :D

I say unless you are sick to the point where you can't really do what you need to do at work, go in anyway, this way you can call in sick when you're not really sick and just want a day off. By doing this, you get to enjoy your days off by doing whatever you want instead of laying in bed resting all day, and when you do have to call in sick people may think you are really sick since you diligently came in all the other times when you were sick. :D

Thats pretty much what I do lol

true story

The girl that sits in the cubicle behind me really wanted to stay home two days last week because she was really sick. I mean she looked like death. She was pale and you could SEE that she was all clammy. And she kept loudly coughing etc. She called in to tell them she was taking the day off because she really wasn't feeling well, but her boss said she really had no choice because she had work that needed to get done for the client by EOD.