Mottau & Brookbank re-signed

Patches O'Houlihan

CMON CRASHER

:evil:

Jay's a UFA, so he's as good as gone unless he makes the first move. Lou never makes the first move when Devils go UFA.

That's essentially what I was leading up to.

Lou and UFA status don't exactly meet in the middle if you catch my drift.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Chere in the Star-Ledger, they are still looking to add a top defenseman or two.

"We're not going to sit still. We're not happy with what transpired."

Lamoriello acknowledged he was focused on acquiring at least one top defenseman, hopefully two, via trade or free agency. Mottau said he wouldn't be upset if the Devils made such a move.

Devils ink Mottau, keep eye on 'D' - Star Ledger Article

Lou routinely locks up UFAs?

Really?

I'd say that his history with them is quite abysmal.

Brodeur, Stevens, Elias, Langenbrunner, Madden, the list continues.

If his history with them were 'great', this team would've been much worse off. Rentals do not a team make.

I'm not breaking any new ground with this but I was very worried when I saw a headline and then a short note without the $$. Once I heard the terms of the two deals this seems like a smart, safe thing by Lou. I do think both players, especially Brookbank will be better next year than the were last. Neither is a big part of the answer.

Edited by South Jersey Devs Fan

Brodeur, Stevens, Elias, Langenbrunner, Madden, the list continues.

If his history with them were 'great', this team would've been much worse off. Rentals do not a team make.

OTOH Holik,Neidermayer,Gomez, Rafalski, I agree about rentals not making a team, but they sure as hell can win you a cup ( Detroit 2002)

Every time a Devil reaches UFA status, I cringe, we lost Stevens to retirement and Brodeur will retire a Devil, IMO the only thing worse than losing Neidermayer to free agency would have been losing Elias, that would have killed us.

OTOH Holik,Neidermayer,Gomez, Rafalski, I agree about rentals not making a team, but they sure as hell can win you a cup ( Detroit 2002)

Every time a Devil reaches UFA status, I cringe, we lost Stevens to retirement and Brodeur will retire a Devil, IMO the only thing worse than losing Neidermayer to free agency would have been losing Elias, that would have killed us.

holik: wanted to stick it to lou and got an absurt contract by the rangers.

nieds: wanted to play with his brother to make his mum happy

Gomez: see holik

Rafalski: got a great offer from his hometown.

does pando strike you as someone who fits into this pattern?

holik: wanted to stick it to lou and got an absurt contract by the rangers.

nieds: wanted to play with his brother to make his mum happy

Gomez: see holik

Rafalski: got a great offer from his hometown.

does pando strike you as someone who fits into this pattern?

That depends, what are the Bruins going to offer Pando if he hits the market?

you keep citing Detroit 2002 like it was anything like today's current landscape. Detroit signed players on short-term deals and most of them were gone or ineffective by 2004. holik, niedermayer, gomez, and rafalski all got long-term deals.

Has, the Bruins already have a superior Pandolfo in PJ Axelsson - if they want to throw money at Pandolfo, they can go ahead, but Pando's not getting off the 4th line there.

That depends, what are the Bruins going to offer Pando if he hits the market?

Hey Has.

You have to figure that if Lou doesn't do the Texas Two Step and get Pando under lock and key before the FA Feeding Frenzy begins, someone/s looking for a piece or two to push them over the hump in the right direction are going to take a look and think to themselves, "Hmmmmmm. There's Jay Pandolfo over there. That cat definitely has the right stuff and hardware. Three rings on his hand. One of the best shutdown artists in the league. A REALLY nice vet pickup. Do we want to take a shot at getting him? Yup. Sure we do. Wonder how much it would take to get him? Let's give him a call. "Hey Jay!!! ________________________(Enter GM name here) calling!!! How you, buddy?!?! Got time to talk to us?!?!"

You never know about guys when they enter FA status.

Jay is a guy that I wouldn't care to lose simply because of what he contributes on the ice and has contributed in the past.