Holik signs with NJ

Jake

I think Holik will be on a mission to singlehandedly destroy the smaller, softer Ranger Defense.

I am looking forward to this.

I wouldn't be surprised if Holik was on a mission in general. To me, Holik seems to have a lot of pride and expectations in himself. He knows there will be a bit of a microscope on him next season, which may be his last, and I'm sure he'll want to be at his best. Now whether he can physically do what he will want to do is another question but I think we can all be confident the effort will be there.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the options are trashing the team, trading Marty and gutting it out for a few years while we let prospects grow OR signing veteran players and taking another run at the top knowing that in a couple of years this team will be in trouble because of the age of the roster I vote to sign the older players.

Alot of people on this board aren't old enough to remember the days of Muller and Cirella when we flat out sucked and the joy we had when MacLean scored against Chicago just to make the playoffs. Those were dark, "Mickey Mouse" days - no one who remembers those days in their right mind would want to return to them.

We will never have a player as good as Marty, we should do all we can while he is here to try to win it all.

I agree completely.

For one, although it's easy to say "Let's tear it down and rebuild, we'll suffer for a few years...", it's another thing entirely to actually suffer through it...not to mention that going that way isn't always the surefire method a lot of fans make it out to be. Some teams never stop "rebuilding": draft picks get hurt or don't work out, or leave just as they start to establish themselves, etc. There's plenty of teams in all sports that have drafted at the top or near the top for years, yet can never seem to become a winning team. In the NHL it's a little easier now; bottom-out, you can trade a lot of your older players and more expensive contracts at the deadline to contenders, give yourself lots of cap room and some draft picks and young players, and hopefully cut down the rebuilding downturn significantly.

Although some fans might think the Devils struggling to earn respect and finish higher than last place was some kind of blast, having also lived through it I can thoroughly attest to the fact that it wasn't...not for the players, not for ownership, and certainly not for most of the fans. There's a reason why John McMullen hired Tom McVie during the '83-'84 season, despite the fact that he knew that doing so might jeopardize the oppotunity to draft Mario Lemieux (which that move ultimately did). McMullen hated watching his team lose game after game and wanted to see a team that would play with pride and at least not be point fodder for everyone else.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Man I HATE HOLIK!!!

HATE HATE HATE Holik....

Can we chacnge his name so i can root for him??

UGH!!! He was so nasty when he left, and has never been as good as he was before he left...

I'm not saying this is an bad signing.. BUT I HATE HATE HATE Holik.....

Man I HATE HOLIK!!!

HATE HATE HATE Holik....

Can we chacnge his name so i can root for him??

UGH!!! He was so nasty when he left, and has never been as good as he was before he left...

I'm not saying this is an bad signing.. BUT I HATE HATE HATE Holik.....

I am right with you Red. :)