Free agents most likely to bust

jkrdevil

2. Markus Naslund (two years, $8 million) and 1. Wade Redden (six years, $39 million)

No, you haven't stepped into the Wayback Machine. Rangers GM Glen Sather is at it again, signing name players who appear to be well past their best-by dates to contracts that are as generous as a no-bid Iraq contract.

Neither veteran is completely washed up, but at this point they downward slope looks pretty slippery. And it's worth noting that neither player generated much in the way of mourning upon leaving his previous employer.

Naslund, whose career has been in decline since the end of the lockout, posted just 55 points last season, his lowest total in a decade. His shot, long the bread and butter of his game, has lost its zip, and he's no longer capable of creating his own space. Brandon Dubinsky might help, but he's no Todd Bertuzzi, Naslund's running mate in his prime. Even over a short term, you need to be able to make things happen on your own to justify that kind of cash.

At least the Rangers will be able to remove Naslund from the books in two years. The Redden deal will haunt them until ESPN works out a deal to broadcast the NHL, or Paris Hilton is elected president, whichever comes first.

You could make the argument that no player's game declined more precipitously last season than Redden's. Issues away from the rink likely contributed to his on-ice malaise, but the tools that made him such a valuable commodity in his prime, particularly his hockey sense, seem to have deserted him. Long a staple of Ottawa's effective transition game, he was a turnover machine last season and his play away from the puck rendered him largely ineffective. He may just be 31, but he's got more than 800 NHL games of hard contact on his time card ... and he looks like it's taken a toll.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...uir.good.value/

Naslund will have a good streak then lose the will to play and crumble as the season goes on. Rangers fans will either bash him to no end or pitifully attempt to defend him for no reason at all other than to be "right."

Even if he put up similar numbers to Jagr lets see if that will get them past round 2, if they even get that far. Also not bringing back veteran Shanny will hurt them more leadership wise. I think Drury can be a leader, but Gomez (assuming hes not traded)?? No way, hes more of a jokester than a serious kind of guy.. So what if he has 2 cups experience? I think he rightfully should thank Brodeur/Stevens/Niedermyer/Daneyko and others for those

Edited by nmigliore

Naslund with Gomez and whoever else he gets put with is a HELL of an improvement from fakkin TAYLOR PYATT and B-mo.seriously.

And I honestly don't care how Redden does..only Naslund.

Redden is not that big of deal, and I'm glad he signed that huge contract with them. I don't think for one second that the Rangers are a better team now than they were last year, quite the opposite.

Zherdev is good at times, but hit him really hard once or twice and he disappears from the game. That's the way you need to play against him. He stops trying.

They lost Tyutin in that deal, and he's actually a very good defensive d-man and also very physical. With Redden and Kalinin in, the Rangers D got a lot softer.

Who do you fear more? N

Redden is not that big of deal, and I'm glad he signed that huge contract with them. I don't think for one second that the Rangers are a better team now than they were last year, quite the opposite.

Zherdev is good at times, but hit him really hard once or twice and he disappears from the game. That's the way you need to play against him. He stops trying.

They lost Tyutin in that deal, and he's actually a very good defensive d-man and also very physical. With Redden and Kalinin in, the Rangers D got a lot softer.

Who do you fear more? N

probably naslund or gomez. (yeah i tried the two dots over the a)

Considering Pando plays wing as does Naslund I'm going with Naslund. Gomez is a center so he would be Madden's duty. That is if the Devils want to play the shadow game.

Edited by jkrdevil