Letter to Philadelphia

njdevil26

Did it help Boston?

Boston fans are actually courteous to others. It is really a problem however if you are caught with Yankee gear up there.

Damn I'm sorry it sucked so bad. My friend was at the game, I'll have to see if anything sh!tty happened to him. I've never gone to a game in Philly but I've been at Flyers bars, and I never actually got into a fight though I took (and dished) some verbal abuse. It's funny because I always went in my Devils gear, and throughout the night I always would get a bunch of "secret" Devils fans buying me drinks or coming up and whispering that they were Devils fans too, but were obviously too scared of crazy Flyers fans to show it proudly.

Haha it was actually really funny walking around the concourses before and during the game. Other people in Devils gear would give nods to me, smile, or shake my hand and keep walking. It was like we didn't want to be see associating with eachother haha. There were quite a few Devil fans there that day as well.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My friends are pushing me to write this letter and it seems like a good idea... So I wrote this letter that will be forwarded to Ed Snider (Flyers Owner), Lukko (Comcast Spectator owner), and the Philadelphia police:

To Whom it May Concern:

I thank you for taking a few moments to read this letter as it is very important to myself and the individuals involved. My name is Andrew Timoni and I am a 21 year old college student at Albright College in Reading PA. I am from northern New Jersey and am an avid Devils fan. I cannot go to many Devils games or watch them on TV because of where I am at school so I was very excited to be able to attend Saturday's game at the Wachovia Center.

First and foremost, the security at the arena was non-existent. Upon entering (the gate by the team store) I made a comment to my friends John (21) and Vanessa (22) that no one patted us down or looked in her purse. At the Prudential Center in New Jersey, I would have had to empty my pockets and been patted down and they also use a metal detection wand. Vanessa would have had to open her purse.

During the course of the game, we were yelled at and people were screaming obscenities at us. There were even a few threats here and there but we did our best to ignore them and try to enjoy the game. Late in the second period as Brian Gionta scored to tie up the game, Vanessa was struck in the head with a half full beer bottle. Once again, security was non-existent. The backup goalie for the Devils, Kevin Weekes, is an African Canadian and was the subject of many loud racial taunts which no one did anything about. It was disgusting to hear.

I'm sure I don't have to refresh you on the smoke bomb incident but I believe it is important on the reflection of the lack of security in the building as it was completely non-existent. There were interviews conducted after the game where Devils players complained of having a hard time breathing and having itchy eyes. Why was the game allowed to continue? That is a serious threat to the 20,000 people in the arena including a homeland security threat. Philadelphia is a major city on the East Coast. What would have happened if there were toxins in that bomb? You would have such a different situation at hand and this all happened because no security was present at the gates.

When the Flyers scored after the game was somehow allowed to continue, my friends and I got up and walked as fast as we could to leave. I heard someone scream "go the f*ck home Jersey trash" and my friend John was violently shoved down the escalator as we were trying to leave. The three of us then started to run towards our car dodging threats and a large amount of verbal abuse.

The three of us are respectful fans in opposing arenas. We refused to answer the threats and obscenities as well as the attempts to injure us. I have no idea what should be done but it is not right for us to pay a lot of money to go see a hockey game, which was a great game by the way, and have to endure things thrown at us, people trying to hurt us, and the things that were said to us along with the entire smoke bomb incident. I hope to get a response from someone it would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Sincerely

Andrew Timoni

--- besides the opinion of the letter itself, can anyone here help me with who to send this to and how to send it to them? e-mail addresses? the people that need to read this?

thank you!

I ****** hate everything about Philly, their fans, their city, their ppl. **** them!!!!!

I went to a game at the Flyers game a couple of seasons ago and their were 3 arrogant flyer pricks with my 3 friends. One of them said let me **** you baby, then he said how the flyers are the best team ever and that the Devils suck. I told them so why do the Devils have 3 stanley cups in the last 10 years while the Flyers have ****. Then he asked do you want to fight me and told him i dont waste my time with slobs like you. Towards the end of the game he got up and sucker punched me then all hell broke loose. He made my nose bleed but I must have broke his nose and also gave him a black eye. Luckliy security was there and arrested him and it was that.

Point is Philly has the worst fans on the planet. Rank up there with Hab fans.

We may hate the Isles and Rags as rivals but their fans are a lot better then the flyers aka dirtbags.

I ****** hate everything about Philly, their fans, their city, their ppl. **** them!!!!!

I went to a game at the Flyers game a couple of seasons ago and their were 3 arrogant flyer pricks with my 3 friends. One of them said let me **** you baby, then he said how the flyers are the best team ever and that the Devils suck. I told them so why do the Devils have 3 stanley cups in the last 10 years while the Flyers have ****. Then he asked do you want to fight me and told him i dont waste my time with slobs like you. Towards the end of the game he got up and sucker punched me then all hell broke loose. He made my nose bleed but I must have broke his nose and also gave him a black eye. Luckliy security was there and arrested him and it was that.

We may hate the Isles and Rags as rivals but their fans are a lot better then the flyers aka dirtbags.

I'm surprised there was security there during your incident. I couldn't find any.

Kinda makes me grateful about the Canes fans. I have never taken any garbage from them. Maybe they dont care. Or maybe they get that it's just a friggin game.

Edited by NCDevsFan

don't send this to flyers' management - whoever runs the security would probably have this framed to show the flyers' brass he's doing a great job.

this is the same team that showed the lindros hit over and over and over again to try to incite their fans.

How would it prove he's doing a great job? People were assaulted and a BOMB was thrown on the ice. I think that is about the opposite of a great job.

Maybe I didn't fully understand your post?

You should also send it as a Letter to the Editor to some of the big New Jersey papers in South Jersey, Central Jersey and even North Jersey. I think their editors would like to let their Jersey readers know what's happening to them at that nearby arena.

How would it prove he's doing a great job? People were assaulted and a BOMB was thrown on the ice. I think that is about the opposite of a great job.

Maybe I didn't fully understand your post?

because this has been going on for decades at philadelphia sporting events. it is pretty clear that the city simply does not care - and is in fact proud - of the fact that rival fans are afraid to go to their teams' sporting venues, and are harrassed when they openly cheer for their team.

sorry...meant to comment, but haven't figured everything out yet and it posted before i could comment.

As a South Jersey resident, I have grown up surrounded by Philadelphia fans, who all seem to love all this attention (Who would have thought ...being a d-bag could be cool?). I seriously doubt anything will be accomplished, beyond a possible form letter from the team apologizing for your "negative experience", but not saying anything guarantees that nothing will change.

I think your letter is a good idea though - defintely send it to Bettman. My first thought when I saw the smoke bomb mess was...what would have happened if they hadn't hit the ice and instead landed in the crowd?

When I went to a playoff game down there in Philly we had the ticket taker let us know the Devils suck, along with other people on paid staff, the fans also had no problem bumping into us all at any moment in the hallway, including guys pushing the girl. The Flyers want the place like that, I believe.

sorry...meant to comment, but haven't figured everything out yet and it posted before i could comment.

As a South Jersey resident, I have grown up surrounded by Philadelphia fans, who all seem to love all this attention (Who would have thought ...being a d-bag could be cool?). I seriously doubt anything will be accomplished, beyond a possible form letter from the team apologizing for your "negative experience", but not saying anything guarantees that nothing will change.

I think your letter is a good idea though - defintely send it to Bettman. My first thought when I saw the smoke bomb mess was...what would have happened if they hadn't hit the ice and instead landed in the crowd?

Exactly! People are underestimating what COULD have happened w/ that incident. It could have killed someone on its own if it had landed in the crowd or hit a player since it was thrown right at the Devils bench. What if it had been filled with cyanide or another toxin?

This is an excellent letter and a great idea to send it.

Don't take this the wrong way...but...

I might humbly suggest finding a friend to proof the grammar for you though before you send it out to "print media", especially if there is any chance of them reprinting it. There are a few fragements and technical grammar errors that you could re-word.

It sounds silly, but usually the more grammatically correct a formal letter like this is, the mroe chance that the recepient will take it seriouslly....

Otherwise - well done - and good for you to take the initiative on this!!! :dance:

Edited by DevilinLA

This is an excellent letter and a great idea to send it.

Don't take this the wrong way...but...

I might humbly suggest finding a friend to proof the grammar for you though before you send it out to "print media", especially if there is any chance of them reprinting it. There are a few fragements and technical grammar errors that you could re-word.

It sounds silly, but usually the more grammatically correct a formal letter like this is, the mroe chance that the recepient will take it seriouslly....

Otherwise - well done - and good for you to take the initiative on this!!! :dance:

Yeah I can proof read it and corrected it myself. I really just flew through the thing as I was typing it because I wasn't intending on it being sent to newspapers to maybe be published or reprinted. I did that on the advice of some of our friends here on the site.

Its pretty puzzling how they are not prepared for such a disturbance. Also I wonder if the league has a contingency plan regarding the disruption of a game in such a manner, I have gone to many soccer games where the players are pelted with all kinds of items but there is a point where the ref determines that the play is unsafe and usually calls the game and the home team forfeits the match. This summer I went to a game at Giants Stadium and we were in the UDeck (Barcelona vs Red Bulls) Some guys in front us -about 12, pretty drunk- decided to start throwing things to the lower level -- security came by and told them that they knew they threw something and now they were under surveillance so if anyone even littered they would know. Troopers then came by and stood nearby Sh!t stopped quick.

Yeah I'm going to have to do that....

Any other ideas?

[/quote]

Bettman has his own satelite radio show on XM 204, (with Bill Clement -a Flyer homer-something bettman has called him on the air)

it's an hour long show, 4-5 pm and sometimes you're on the phone for 35 mins. I waited last week and spoke to them. But he will answer you right then and there with no bs, he will tell you his opinion and will 877 645 6696 get you poionts accross allthough you might want to abreviate them. Even if you can't listen, everyone listening in No. America will here your story

I got my first response haha. Flyers management.

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for writing to the Philadelphia Flyers about the incident that

occurred late in our game on Saturday, October 25.

Comcast-Spectacor has a zero tolerance policy. Anyone who attempts to

disrupt a game will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Our President Peter Luukko told both the Philadelphia Inquirer and Daily

News after the game that our fans and season ticket holders are

fantastic.

"We don't have problems with our fans at our games," Luukko said. "We

had a terrific run in the playoffs with some very heated rivalries last

season without incident. When and if something like this ever occurs, we

take it very seriously. We will not tolerate any type of this behavior.

We are working diligently to catch the culprit and hope to prosecute the

person. If we find that the person is a season ticket holder, we will

permanently cancel their tickets. I personally spoke to (Devils

President) Lou Lamoriello and told him that this is not indicative of

the truly passionate Flyers fans. We will get those evil doers."

We hope that you will continue to support the Philadelphia Flyers and if

there is anything else we can do for you, please let me know.

Thank you,

Dan Fuchs

Customer Service Account Manager

Philadelphia Flyers

Customer Service 215-218-4FAN (4326)

Fx: (215) 952-5210

edit: Do they employ superheroes at the Flyers org? They will get those evil doers!

Edited by njdevil26

Its pretty puzzling how they are not prepared for such a disturbance. Also I wonder if the league has a contingency plan regarding the disruption of a game in such a manner, I have gone to many soccer games where the players are pelted with all kinds of items but there is a point where the ref determines that the play is unsafe and usually calls the game and the home team forfeits the match. This summer I went to a game at Giants Stadium and we were in the UDeck (Barcelona vs Red Bulls) Some guys in front us -about 12, pretty drunk- decided to start throwing things to the lower level -- security came by and told them that they knew they threw something and now they were under surveillance so if anyone even littered they would know. Troopers then came by and stood nearby Sh!t stopped quick.

If that game was forfeited by the refs, I don't think Andrew and his friends would have made it out in one piece. Sad but true.

Edit: That looks like a form letter from the management. They didn't bother addressing half of your points. At least they took the time to write back to you, though.

Edited by Biggie B