Darryl Sutter wants to go back to the old school

adavid

"The European influence has created it. The changes of the rules -- some are good, not all are good. The speed of the game. The size of the players. All of those things affect it.

"It used to be 90% Canadians and 10% Americans. So it's changed, even though it's our game, and we should be able to legislate that.

"It's our game. It's nobody else's game. It's not the Europeans' game. It's not the Americans' game. It's our game, and we should have the say in it."

Nothing nationalistic and bigoted said here. :wacko:

i think the point he is tryin to make is pretty valid. think back to avery in the playoffs last year. if he did that to marty in say 2000 he would of had stevens and dano and probably half the bench jumpin on him every time he touched the ice. and i hate to beat a dead horse by bringing this up but its relevant

I am not sure I can see past the bigotry in this. Our game?? Our say?? Hockey is played around the world and the NHL has grown into a much more exciting game in the past 20 years in no small part due to of those Europeans Daryl seems to dislike.

I mean I kind of get what he is saying but I think that hockey should be just as much about skill as about toughness and back in the

I am not sure I can see past the bigotry in this. Our game?? Our say?? Hockey is played around the world and the NHL has grown into a much more exciting game in the past 20 years in no small part due to of those Europeans Daryl seems to dislike.

I mean I kind of get what he is saying but I think that hockey should be just as much about skill as about toughness and back in the

Edited by WHL Rules

I really didn't think it was a dirty hit. Like the article said, Sutter had his head down. He'll learn to pay attention next time. It's not like Weight is a dirty player anyway.

Out of interest but how old are you? :evil:

You know during the time Darryl Sutter was talking about, small skilled players were actually showing their stuff. Danny Gare was 5'9'', Marcel Dionne 5'8'', not to mention a young 5'6'' kid named Theo Fleury, to just name a few. Actually most of the top players in the league were 6'0'' and smaller. The trend to bigger and even bigger players happened during the last 20 years and not during the days Sutter is talking about. :D

Although I think the question of my age is irrelevant to this discussion, I

What nonsense from Suter. Im tired of people preaching policing the game for clean hits.

Why should someone take Weight to task for a clean and legal hit?? Does that make sense to anyone? Are they suggesting that players should be jumped and mugged for body-checking? Yeah, that wont lead to any injuries. :wacko:

I'm 41 and watched the Sutters in their glory days and I still think he's letting his heart do the talking, not his brain.

All the talk :blahblah: -- It's just so much stroking yourself. The game would be nowhere without the US and Europe and Asia. So who's the world curling champ? how much does the typical broom ball player make? Come on <_< gafc. (why is it I feel I must add that I know the difference between broomball and curling? I was merely using 2 examples of Canadian sports.)

The game is how it is - an honorable player rolls with the punches - he learns how to operate within the given circumstances - he doesn't piss and moan about back when he was a lad <_< there's a Canadian majority in GMs - Candians DO run the NHL... WTF.... :argh: You just suck at it because your so fvckin' polite and honourable right? You let everyone have their say and cowtow to the whole world and BIG DARRYL's gonna change things now... awwwwwww shut up and keep your stroking to the showers, ya geezer <_<

I wouldn't have been half so disrespectful to one of the Islander Sutters by the way :giggle::evil:

Edited by Pepperkorn