What would you do?

Devs4LIFE

What would you do if you were the GM to better improve this team until MB30 is healthy and back on the ice? Would you trade for a defenseman? A goalie? Or would you do nothing?

Personally I would trade for a Defenseman *cough* Bieksa *cough* This would significantly improve our D and IMHO make us real cup contenders once Marty is healthy again.

Edited by Devs4LIFE

I think the team is going to be fine, once their main batch of injured players returns within the next couple weeks. They should be in the middle of the hunt when Marty is able to come back, this is if Marty can come back by the start of February anyways.

Edited by welcometotherock

What would you do if you were the GM to better improve this team until MB30 is healthy and back on the ice? Would you trade for a defenseman? A goalie? Or would you do nothing?

Personally I would trade for a Defenseman *cough* Bieksa *cough* This would significantly improve our D and IMHO make us real cup contenders once Marty is healthy again.

And why in the world would canucks give away Bieksa? Does anyone realistically think that anyone wants our tradable players??

Also, while having a puck moving defenseman is nice, the devils have an equal need for a playmaking center

Nothing - no one's trading at this time. Basically, my thinking is this - if it takes player X to be the difference between us making the playoffs and not making them, then player X + Brodeur still doesn't give us a good enough chance at the Stanley Cup to justify getting him.

EDIT: This isn't to say I don't think the Devils should upgrade at the deadline - they should. But there shouldn't be any Andreychuk-Housley style acquisitions.

Edited by Triumph

I would sit tight for now, see how the team performs, wait to get guys back healthy, and then evaluate what moves to make based on the team and what the market was offering. I think overall the team will do nothing overall as I think they'll perform well enough all considering. I mean considering missing Martin and Rolston the team has played pretty well the last 2 games, barring the first period against Buffalo.

Veteran defenseman first and foremost the important player this Devils team needs badly.

Solid back up goaltender or to split the playing time with Weekes. It will be tough on Weekes to carry the load so, (EX.-Khabibulin, Bryzgalov, Belfour, Roloson, Fernandez) goalies like them, because I don't think Clemmensen is a good back up to Weekes.

Possibly a goal scorer like Sundin, Shanahan or Havlat.

Veteran defenseman first and foremost the important player this Devils team needs badly.

Solid back up goaltender or to split the playing time with Weekes. It will be tough on Weekes to carry the load so, (EX.-Khabibulin, Bryzgalov, Belfour, Roloson, Fernandez) goalies like them, because I don't think Clemmensen is a good back up to Weekes.

Possibly a goal scorer like Sundin, Shanahan or Havlat.

BTW SD - Bryz is not a back-up anymore, he's a starter....and a damn fine one.

There is no way that PHX is going to part with the franchise goalie that they've been waiting for almost a decade for to build a team around. He's the final piece that's finally made Wayne's team legit, and they got him for next to nothing.

The only logical G solutions are:

1.) Finding a way to pry away Tukka Rask

2.) Rolly, great goalie and great guy (went to college with him)

Although I still believe that an older vet goalie might still yet be unecessary...we will see.

If Lou could have gotten the White Knight "D" Man he would have done it by now, easier said than done. I think that Francois Beauchmin is the answer.

I know this is probably like beating a dead horse but do you think we can get Nieds back? And if so what would be a good package? Langenbrunner and Gionta + Pick?

Niedermayer could be back next season for the Devils.

Sign a 1 or 2-year deal then he can retire a Devil where his career began and the organization that gave him his shot in the NHL.

BTW SD - Bryz is not a back-up anymore, he's a starter....and a damn fine one.

There is no way that PHX is going to part with the franchise goalie that they've been waiting for almost a decade for to build a team around. He's the final piece that's finally made Wayne's team legit, and they got him for next to nothing.

The only logical G solutions are:

1.) Finding a way to pry away Tukka Rask

2.) Rolly, great goalie and great guy (went to college with him)

Although I still believe that an older vet goalie might still yet be unecessary...we will see.

If Lou could have gotten the White Knight "D" Man he would have done it by now, easier said than done. I think that Francois Beauchmin is the answer.

I do agree with you DevlinLA. Bryzgalov is the starter in Phoenix and a very good goalie - one of my favorites in the NHL right now. I was just making references and I know there is no way he will be traded from Phoenix.

Roloson and Khabibulin are the two most talked about. Just not sure if Edmonton will stay with Garon as their starter.

The Devils main concern should be going out and getting that Veteran Dman that has been missing here for years now.

Edited by SatansDevils

Niedermayer could be back next season for the Devils.

Sign a 1 or 2-year deal then he can retire a Devil where his career began and the organization that gave him his shot in the NHL.

He has repeatedly stated in Ducks Post Game Shows that if he stays in the NHL he'd want to stay in Anaheim because he feels that team is the biggest part of him and is his home.

....and he only brings it up when the push him on Vancouver for Canada.

If I'm Sutter, I would just go with whatever is hot or working. We can't get into a long slump or this could be over in a hurry. When we finally get healthy in December (minus Brodeur) will be the time period to evaluate if we can make a reasonable trade.

He has repeatedly stated in Ducks Post Game Shows that if he stays in the NHL he'd want to stay in Anaheim because he feels that team is the biggest part of him and is his home.

....and he only brings it up when the push him on Vancouver for Canada.

After all, this is Neids were talking about though.