Rumor: Mats Sundin to Rangers

HellOnICE

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now when I look at the standings, I see NYR in 1st in the division.. and Sundin would be a big piece for them.. as much as it pains me, yes they are a cup contender.

i guess if you wanna disagree and call them an awful non-playoff team thats fine, but then i will at least know you are blind.

Then why did he sign with the rags? :giggle:

Why didn't he sign with us? :whistling:

Right now when I look at the standings, I see NYR in 1st in the division.. and Sundin would be a big piece for them.. as much as it pains me, yes they are a cup contender.

i guess if you wanna disagree and call them an awful non-playoff team thats fine, but then i will at least know you are blind.

While I don't think they will win the cup, getting sundin does improve their chances and I think the rags are in a slump and will break out soon as much I can't stand saying that!

Has it been confirmed he signed with them tho?

Why didn't he sign with us? :whistling:

While I don't think they will win the cup, getting sundin does improve their chances and I think the rags are in a slump and will break out soon as much I can't stand saying that!

Has it been confirmed he signed with them tho?

-Lou would never sign him.. too *drastic* for him to do..

-I didn't say they would win the cup. I said they are a cup contender. Right now if you wanna talk about teams winning a cup, then I say Wings or Sharks.

this cannot happen without a major player going elsewhere. I guess it could happen if they waived Prucha, sent down Korpikoski, Dawes, and Potter, but even then Sundin would have to sign for something like 6 million. If they waived Kalinin and Prucha and sent down Korpikoski and Dawes, they'd free up 5 million, meaning Sundin could be paid as much as 7.5 million, but they'd have no depth. It's a good move for the Rangers if it happens, but it would give them absolutely no breathing room a la New Jersey in 2007 when they had nights dressing 19 guys.

Edited by Triumph

Sundin Going To Broadway

THE FAN 590's Bob McCown is reporting that former Toronto Maple Leafs' captain Mats Sundin has decided to join the New York Rangers. McCown's source, who has intimate knowledge of the situation, expects this decision to made public later this week.

Rangers still have no defense, so until they get a defensive mind set going they wont be going anywhere anytime soon

Sundin Going To Broadway

THE FAN 590's Bob McCown is reporting that former Toronto Maple Leafs' captain Mats Sundin has decided to join the New York Rangers. McCown's source, who has intimate knowledge of the situation, expects this decision to made public later this week.

Rangers still have no defense, so until they get a defensive mind set going they wont be going anywhere anytime soon

The Rangers have one of the best defenses in the NHL. I know we put up 8 goals on them but still.

And with the goalie they have he masks some of the mistakes

However, their offense *bleeps*

We have a better offense then they do

Edited by USAkid90

I listened to the Hockey Central on FAN590 and he is supposed to sign with SOMEONE this weekend.

The Rags (if they trade a $ player), Philly and Vancouver are the front runners.

The Rags were rumored to trade Gomez to Vancouver over the summer to free up space for Sundin.

You know what they say about rumors ("Shanny to sign this week".....from two months ago).

The Rangers have one of the best defenses in the NHL. I know we put up 8 goals on them but still.

Are you serious?....Rosival and Redden are sh!t. Stall is the only one that I would consider good

The Rangers are thin on defensive talent, but when they're at their trapping and collapsing best (see earlier this season) their D can be impenetrable. Their biggest problem is scoring, which Sundin would address. But in order to make room for him, they'd probably move a defenseman, making their already thin corps even thinner.

In other words: In order to make a weakness into a strength, they'd have to make a strength into a weakness. That makes sense, right?

Not to say that the Rangers don't have a chance, but them being first place in the division doesn't say much to me. If there were shootouts in the playoffs, that's another story.

The Rangers have a great defense on paper - probably the best top 6 in the league outside of Detroit, on paper. Staal is tremendous, and Mara is really underrated - he's turned into a solid player over there. Problem is, Roszival, Redden, and Kalinin are all unwilling to take a hit to make a play, and all three have been unilaterally terrible. Roszival and Redden should get better - eventually - but Kalinin's awful and was never any good to begin with.

What? Rangers have a terrible defense, even before the 8 goal embarrasment..

Their offense is terrible but not their defense.

The offense is the reason they haven't advanced the last 2 seasons in the playoffs