Will Clemmer demand a trade?

king bun

I find it interesting how people here sometimes manipulate the situation in Anaheim to try to work out a Neiderboner trade....

Jonas Hiller is an "unproven flash in the pan"....yet we're talking about trying to deal Clemmer for who knows what???? what?

Hiller's almost shared the #1 spot with Puffy all year and did so for a good portion of last year, he's a lot more proven than most "back-ups" if you can call him that. I can't see any reason why Anaheim deals in any way to bring in a guy who's basically been a career AHL'r who's now on a tear.

Puffy's contract is monsterously bad, as he is, good luck dealing that as well.

It probably helps to watch a number of Anaheim games (other than Devils vs. ANA) before you pronounce them sellers, purely based on stats.

One thing ANA knows how to do is cultivate good back-up goalies through the system....

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

basically this. throw in the seasons that conklin, thomas, steve mason, craig anderson, and clemmensen are having, and i'm not sure if a high pick should be used on a goalie ever at this point. i can't tell if this year is a fluke or what's to come - what i do know is that about half the starting goalies in the NHL were either undrafted or not highly touted.

Did you mean Chris Mason?

Steve is 20.

Jonas Hiller is an "unproven flash in the pan"....yet we're talking about trying to deal Clemmer for who knows what???? what?

I was making the point that they wouldn't want Clemmer because of having Hiller who is in a similar spot to Clemmy. I'm not sure how you could miss that in my post when I said Anaheim wouldn't want Clemmy.

I was making the point that they wouldn't want Clemmer because of having Hiller who is in a similar spot to Clemmy. I'm not sure how you could miss that in my post when I said Anaheim wouldn't want Clemmy.

I got it, but unproven????

The guy has played a lot of games for ANA over the past 2 seasons with excellent results, I think he's got a little jump on Clemmer.

My reaction was that to the initial post as to why ANA would need Clemmer just to deal us Neids.

basically this. throw in the seasons that conklin, thomas, steve mason, craig anderson, and clemmensen are having, and i'm not sure if a high pick should be used on a goalie ever at this point. i can't tell if this year is a fluke or what's to come - what i do know is that about half the starting goalies in the NHL were either undrafted or not highly touted.

It all depends on what happens in the playoffs. In this copy cat league after the Red Wings did it with Osgood and are doing it now with a couple of scrubs back there every Gm is looking at them going "Why waste 5 mill on a goalie"

The last 3 cup champions are Cam Ward (Pretty bad), Giggy (solid), and Osgood (mediocre). If another team wins this year with a scrub back there then I'm going to guess that the rule changes/dramatic influx of skating talent has decreased the importance of goaltending and the market will show that.

BTW any mention of Clemmer getting traded and traded for any Significant value is a ludicrous proposition.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

It all depends on what happens in the playoffs. In this copy cat league after the Red Wings did it with Osgood and are doing it now with a couple of scrubs back there every Gm is looking at them going "Why waste 5 mill on a goalie"

The last 3 cup champions are Cam Ward (Pretty bad), Giggy (solid), and Osgood (mediocre). If another team wins this year with a scrub back there then I'm going to guess that the rule changes/dramatic influx of skating talent has decreased the importance of goaltending and the market will show that.

BTW any mention of Clemmer getting traded and traded for any Significant value is a ludicrous proposition.

it's a copycat league, but i don't think that extinguishes the need for a good goalie.

basically i used to think that a goalie was having the same starting pitcher for 80% of your games. now it seems more like having the same closer for 80% of your games. a closer really isn't that important in the scheme of things.

I heard the penguins wanted to trade crosby. They said that the only player they would be willing to trade for is scott clemmenson. i think we should do it

I got it, but unproven????

The guy has played a lot of games for ANA over the past 2 seasons with excellent results, I think he's got a little jump on Clemmer.

My reaction was that to the initial post as to why ANA would need Clemmer just to deal us Neids.

Hiller

52 GP 42 GS 2.12 GAA .926 SV% 4 SO

Clemmy

64 GP 54 GS 2.55 GAA .908 SV% 3 SO

This season Clemmy has started about 10 more games than Hiller. The "proveness" of either of them is negligible, they've both played barely more than half a season in net and Hiller gets to play with some of the best defensemen in the league. Even winning a Vezina within your first 100 games started doesn't make you "proven" in the NHL.

It may not be a decreased importance in goaltending but rather the difference in used talent between most of the goalies in the league is very small. With many goalies playing a similar large pad, butterfly style the difference in talent is trumped by hard work at being able to fall in the proper spot over and over.

Hiller

52 GP 42 GS 2.12 GAA .926 SV% 4 SO

Clemmy

64 GP 54 GS 2.55 GAA .908 SV% 3 SO

This season Clemmy has started about 10 more games than Hiller. The "proveness" of either of them is negligible, they've both played barely more than half a season in net and Hiller gets to play with some of the best defensemen in the league. Even winning a Vezina within your first 100 games started doesn't make you "proven" in the NHL.

Hiller was the go-to guy last year once Bryz left.

HE has proven he can be consistent over 2 seasons at least...a little more than Clemm.

It's close, and that's your personal definition of "proven", which is perfectly fine....

Hiller has earned his role as a solid back-up at this point....to me that's "proven", its all persepective I guess....

Hiller was the go-to guy last year once Bryz left.

HE has proven he can be consistent over 2 seasons at least...a little more than Clemm.

It's close, and that's your personal definition of "proven", which is perfectly fine....

Hiller has earned his role as a solid back-up at this point....to me that's "proven", its all persepective I guess....

Hiller's "proven" over 2 season is 10 less games than Clemmy's "unproven" this season. They're both equally proven or unproven at this time but Clemmy actually has more recent stats to go on than Hiller since Hiller has played so sparingly in the 2 seasons he has been in.

I'd rather have Hiller on my team than Clemmy though based on the little I've seen.

Don't you need some kind of power to demand something? What can Clemmer threaten with?

I think by demand, SweDev meant ask to be traded.

I do know one thing, (from reading Clemm's quotes) he wants to play. That being said, I think he'll want to finish out the remainder of the season with the Devils. He's a UFA next year anyway. Why would he give up an opportunity @ Lord Stanley on this team, just to play more games on a team like Tampa Bay? He'll have close to 50 games played come the end of the season. It's not like he's been a benchwarmer.

This whole situation reminds me of the Tom Brady, Matt Cassel situation in New England. One of the best goes down, the backup takes over and shows he is good enough to start elsewhere. Wonder what will happen, I think Weekes will stay no matter what, but I can't see us having 3 goalies who are all capable starting on another team. I can see Clemmer going to a weak Eastern Conference team next season.

I actually rather have Clemmer not traded (he wont be anyway), the way he has played and filled in for Marty has been remarkable, and if this teams a championship he deserves to have his name etched on the Cup.. same goes for Weekes (to a degree) when hes had to make his starts.

Really sad that one of them has to go.. Weekes waived or Clemmer to Lowell.

Edited by nmigliore

I actually rather have Clemmer not traded (he wont be anyway), the way he has played and filled in for Marty has been remarkable, and if this teams a championship he deserves to have his name etched on the Cup.. same goes for Weekes (to a degree) when hes had to make his starts.

Really sad that one of them has to go.. Weekes waived or Clemmer to Lowell.

Rosters will expand soon so we'll just keep 3 goalies.

I actually rather have Clemmer not traded (he wont be anyway), the way he has played and filled in for Marty has been remarkable, and if this teams a championship he deserves to have his name etched on the Cup.

Even if he get's traded, his place on this team (for the year) is cemented. Whatever milestone(s) this team hits this season, (Jennings, Stanley Cup, 50 Wins, etc) Clemm's got a huge piece of the pie.

Even if he get's traded, his place on this team (for the year) is cemented. Whatever milestone(s) this team hits this season, (Jennings, Stanley Cup, 50 Wins, etc) Clemm's got a huge piece of the pie.

Really? Never knew that, at least thats good to hear in case he does get dealt.. he definitely deserves some recognition.. now of course if this were the Rags, he would probably have his jersey retired :rofl:

Of course if this were the Rags, he would probably have his jersey retired :rofl:

3081.jpg

SEASON... WINS: 25 - SAV%: .914 - GAA: 2.51 - SO: 2

1222.jpg

SEASON... WINS: 24 - SAV%: .922 - GAA: 2.23 - SO: 2

...so does this mean Clemmensen's the Prince? :blink:

Edited by Beezer34