Devils finish last in Hockey News Future Watch rankings

Rock

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/2009/03...ings-.html#more

The Hockey News once again does not think highly of the young players who are Devils' property.

In the magazine's annual Future Watch issue, the Devils' top 10 prospects and 21-and-under NHLers ranked 30th -- or dead last -- in the league.

The Devils' grade was hurt because they have no 21-and-under NHLers on their roster and only one of their prospects -- 2008 first-round pick Mattias Tedenby -- was ranked among the league's top 50 prospects. Tedenby was ranked 43rd by the panel.

Seems like a fair assessment to me, we have not had much luck drafting talent outside of Zajac and Parise over the last decade.

lol @ not including paul martin on this list.

30th is a joke, but whatever. standard THN myopia. the devils consistently get the most out of the players they do find, plus they've got some guys having breakout seasons. none of them really have top-end potential but there's a lot of 3rd and 4th line players, a lot of 2nd and 3rd pairing defensemen.

lol @ not including paul martin on this list.

30th is a joke, but whatever. standard THN myopia. the devils consistently get the most out of the players they do find, plus they've got some guys having breakout seasons. none of them really have top-end potential but there's a lot of 3rd and 4th line players, a lot of 2nd and 3rd pairing defensemen.

:rolleyes: excuse me for not including the guy drafted 9 years ago. You got the point right?

I guess Oduya doesn't count since the Devils didn't draft him. Or Clarkson for that matter, who has as many goals as Scott Gomez. Player development and drafting are not necessarily one and the same.

They aren't rating development or even drafting (directly) for that matter, they are rating the youth of the club and we don't have much. It's spot on.

Here comes the broken record again: This list means nothing to me. Show me a ranking of teams in their ability to graduate young players to the NHL, and I guarantee we won't be last.

Well said Jerry.

Bottomline is: who cares? I was just looking at the prospects list from 6 months ago and its Columbus being ranked #1. I would say we are in much better shape than Columbus right now and in the future with Zajac, Parise, Martin, Oduya, Clarkson, making up the core moving forward.

These are projections that may or may not pan out.

Well said Jerry.

Bottomline is: who cares? I was just looking at the prospects list from 6 months ago and its Columbus being ranked #1. I would say we are in much better shape than Columbus right now and in the future with Zajac, Parise, Martin, Oduya, Clarkson, making up the core moving forward.

These are projections that may or may not pan out.

And you know what? From Columbus' standpoint, they ought to be No. 1. That team has been picking high since its existence. How's Alexandre Picard and Gilbert Brule doing? Nik Zherdev? Pascal Leclaire?

They stink at drafting (and/or developing). Besides Rick Nash, Rostislav Klesla is their gold nugget.

Edited by Jerrydevil

And you know what? From Columbus' standpoint, they ought to be No. 1. That team has been picking high since its existence. How's Alexandre Picard and Gilbert Brule doing? Nik Zherdev? Pascal Leclaire?

They stink at drafting (and/or developing). Besides Rick Nash, Rostislav Klesla is their gold nugget.

Well said.

I would rather be competing consistently for a SC, than being compensated for crappy management and a bad farm system with high draft picks so we can rank high in the FUTURE WATCH issue.

Well said.

I would rather be competing consistently for a SC, than being compensated for crappy management and a bad farm system with high draft picks so we can rank high in the FUTURE WATCH issue.

That's what's great about a futures ranking. You can be ranked #1, even if the future sucks.

Uhhh.... mason_steve_getty_260.jpg ????

i think 'stunk' is better here. derrick brassard was having a great season before he got hurt, jakub voracek looks like a solid player, and steve mason looks tremendous. and that's not even mentioning nikita filatov. but yeah i see your point.

The best core in my opinion for the near future has to come from St Louis. John Davidson has put together a strong core of players both you and with experience. Watch he doesn't trade for Pronger at the draft to give St Louis a top team in the West.

I would agree with this. St. Louis plays a competitive game with alot of young potential.

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/2009/03...ings-.html#more

The Hockey News once again does not think highly of the young players who are Devils' property.

In the magazine's annual Future Watch issue, the Devils' top 10 prospects and 21-and-under NHLers ranked 30th -- or dead last -- in the league.

The Devils' grade was hurt because they have no 21-and-under NHLers on their roster and only one of their prospects -- 2008 first-round pick Mattias Tedenby -- was ranked among the league's top 50 prospects. Tedenby was ranked 43rd by the panel.

:noclue: i personally don't care about "professional" opinions. these guys are usually paid to run their mouth and promote the fan faves. Devils know what they have.