Official 2009 New York Mets Offseason Thread

Prucenterrules

You know just looking at some of the blimp views on ESPN during the game...there is no way that outfields dimensions are anywhere close to what Shea's were. I mean that is the most gigantic outfield I've ever seen in all directions. I'm positive they really fudged the dimensions in every which way. The numbers stamped on the walls are pure lies.

Edited by '7'

Livan just f'ed himself by walking Jeter and Swisher.. theres no chance, at all, he gets out of this inning giving up no runs.

DOUBLE PLAY SIDE RETIRED... HAHAHAHAHA I LOVE ROBINSON CANO .. Thats like, what, 3 DP balls from Cano in 3 at bats?

> eh, FMart was too patient in that at bat.. he got ahead in the count 2-0 and he laid off the fastballs down the middle.. inexperience.

>> Livan Hernandez: 7 IP, 3 hits, 3 ER .. and those runs came because of shotty and brainless defense.. Ill take it.

Edited by nmigliore

Yeah Jerry, very smart move... play for 1 run, especially when you are down a run.... and of all people, a-Reyes?!! WHY?! Are you too fvcking stupid to realize LIVAN is the best bunter on the team? Why not just let him bunt? It doesnt mean he has to pitch the 8th..

fvcking idiotic move. Plain and simple.

Bleh, no runs.. 8th inning or bust... 9th inning - no chance.

edit: another strange move... leaving Feliciano in to face Jeter could be bad.. and fwiw, Teixeira has ripped LHP this year .. wake up jerrrrryyyy

edit 2: ah forgot teix isn't due up yet... hes after matsui

edit 3: ok, he gets matsui out.. 2 out.. jeter at 2nd... and they are leaving in pedro to face teix who has killed LHP this season? why? this is such a stupid risk to take... if the run scores its on jerry....

and now they walk him intentionally... jerry is just making me laugh now..

lol wow somehow the mets get out of that... well here is the mets chance... treat it as if its the 9th, because once they get to the real 9th, its game over.

Edited by nmigliore

Damn, FMart goes down on 3 fastballs, again swinging at a pitch at his eyes... ehhh... Rivera in to record his 500th save, on national television, and a *BIG* 4 out save, vs the Mets of course....

Edited by nmigliore

indeed, another humiliation but at this point we get humiliated at least 2-3 times a week so I feel nothing at all.

Honestly thought that ball Tatis hit to right was going to be a double. The baseball gods just pulled that foul for him.

I guess we should be happy they scratched out 2 runs. That's pretty good for this lineup.

when is jerry ever going to get the blame for this? horrible decision making, defensive and offensive (baserunning) lapses... at least Willie was more uptight.. Jerry is too loose with these guys... this team is going nowhere if they can execute SIMPLE plays.

and fvcking A, of all teams, they do it against the yankees ALWAYS.. they play them 6 games a year yet manage to embarrass themselves more to them than they do a divisional opponent. God...

I can understand losing with this lineup.. but at least lose with some god damn dignity and quit making yourselves look like fvcking fools.

edit: they have to walk jeter... is jerry seriously gonna buy the stupid bluff? plus cervelli is a worse hitter than jeter even if the yanks pinch hit for rivera.. so walking him is a MUST.... and they wont walk him

Jerry Manuel, why why why why why....?!!!!

edit: this is stupid... Jerry just doesn't know to manage, seriously... why force your CLOSER into throwing meaningless pitches to Jeter????? K-Rod was giving him nothing all the way.... LOL

with the mets luck rivera will get a hit or draw a walk

this is pretty sad... hes actually working a quality at bat

Edited by nmigliore

Talk about overrated closers, Ill point to the one right on the mound. THANKS.

fvck your stats too.

This team should be fvcking embarrassed.. they have a horrible manager.. and dope GM... dope owners.... this is amazing... it just never ends...

Edited by nmigliore

The 2009 Mets slogan: I've never seen that before :rolleyes:

-Church not touching third in LA

-Castillo dropping the pop-fly

-And now our 'gutsy' closer walking Babe Rivera with the bases loaded :argh:

Wow it would have actually been better if Jeter had hit the first pitch, at least maybe it could have gotten Jerry fired for insanity. But I would have pulled K-Rod on principle after the walk to Rivera, this team is just so brain-dead it's mind-boggling.

Edited by Hasan4978

eh, not much to say.... i could care less how depleted the lineup is, the fact they lose with no dignity and embarrass themselves over... and over... and over... and over.... and over... and over... again is no shocker. Its THE METS... what else can be said???

K-Rod has been amazing in the bullpen, but FINDS ways to tick you off... Wright leads the God damn LEAGUE in batting and FINDS ways to tick you off.. The whole team, depleted with injuries yet somehow 2.5 games out of 1st place, finds new ways to tick you off... it just never ends.. and its going to continue...

Trading Reyes or the rest of the core wont solve anything either; this is all happening without him after all.. its just the organization.. blame Jerry for making stupid decisions (who knows, maybe those wasted pitches k-rod threw to Jeter got him all messed up when facing Rivera?), blame Minaya for handing out the strangest contracts.. blame the owners for being dodger fans.

I've never seen a more pathetic franchise in any sport than the team that we have been watching the past 3 years.

edit: and I can GUARANTEE YOU we will see more bizarre things to come... I mean really, I thought I saw it all when Castillo dropped the ball... NOPE.. more is on the way, I bet ya.. and again, I totally take back what I said about Joe Beningo in the beginning of the year -- hes right! His "only the mets!" saying is so true.

Edited by nmigliore

The Mets had some crappy lineups with Valentine, but those teams always had more fight, more heart, and better fundamentals.

I think it's time to pull the plug on Omar...but he's got the Wilpons duped. But what does all this embarrassment do to a teams psyche? Does Fred and Jeff even notice or are they too busy designing some shrine to the 1955 Dodgers at Citi.

They're teetering on the brink now. If Philly gets to 5 up we'll never catch them.

As for the Yankees. Well they did what they were supposed to do, which is beat up on a AA team. They have their own problems within the division with Boston.

Edited by '7'

The Mets had some crappy lineups with Valentine, but those teams always had more fight, more heart, and better fundamentals.

I think it's time to pull the plug on Omar...but he's got the Wilpons duped. But what does all this embarrassment do to a teams psyche.

the wilpons wont ever dump minaya b/c they know how bad he is... they also prevented him from going after manny in the offseason so that their beloved dodgers would resign him.

i know thats probably not likely, but i seriously would not be surprised if it was true :lol: .. they seem like dodger fanatics.

edit: btw Jerry is in favor of a trade - http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/mets/archiv...fo_51.html#more

and Jerry needs to STFU with all of his excuses .. "oh yeah k-rod didnt have his good stuff tonight because he hadn't pitched in so long...", thats just a poor excuse and its HIS fault K-rod didnt get in for so long

Edited by nmigliore

you watch, even in missing 50 games Manny will hit more HR's and drive in more runs than any other Met. And like true sluggers (howard, dunn etc) his HR's go out of any park.

Could Jeff be a Mets fan? I'm hoping when the old man croaks he'd make the stadium more Mets friendly.

I wonder what would happen if a TRUE Mets fan owned the team.. I know if I was owner and was LOADED like that I would have a gigantic payroll like the yankees..

btw does anyone know how much revenue the mets are projected to make with citi field in total this year? I think they make $20M a year JUST for the naming rights.. I guess that should help them out when it comes to adding payroll in the future

Edited by nmigliore

Yeah they are living in the past with all this Dodgers stuff.. I mean I love the Brooklyn Dodgers they were my dad's team before they moved but seriously move on!

This pretty much sums up the series with the Yankees.. Insert the word "Yankees" when you hear the word "Bears"

How To Fix The Mets (Pre-Trade Deadline 2009)

1) Addressing The Lineup

Okay, first off.. there is WAY too many holes to fill - there is no way they can replace Reyes, Beltran, and Delgado with 3 other superstars.. however, they can acquire a guy to help them out now and even have him for next year, and that guy is Adam Dunn. Hes going to cost prospects, yes, but he is more worth it than rental players like Mark DeRosa (already traded), Matt Holliday, Aubrey Huff, Nick Johnson, etc.. He could help this team climb to a possible playoff berth this season, and even if he doesn't, hes still under contract for next year, which is a nice little fall-back option to have (and its something you dont have with a rental player).. and if worse comes to worst next year, and the Mets are terrible at the trade deadline, they can sell high on Dunn to a contender seeking a rental and gain back the prospects they gave up for him the year before. But anyway, going back to this year.. and with Dunn acquired, this is what the Mets defense and lineup will look when FULLY healthy:

Projected defense:

1B - Carlos Delgado

2B - Luis Castillo

3B - David Wright

SS - Jose Reyes

C - Brian Schneider / Omir Santos

LF - Adam Dunn

CF - Carlos Beltran

RF - Ryan Church / Gary Sheffield

Projected lineup (or at least the way I make it):

Reyes

Beltran

Wright

Delgado

Dunn

Church / Sheffield

Schneider / Santos

Castillo

~pitcher's spot~

2) Addressing The Pitching

Well in the bullpen, there really isn't much to do.. Green and Feliciano have been very valuable relievers this year (despite that slump Green was in in May), Parnell needs to get himself righted; if he continues to struggle they need to get Eddie Kunz up here and give him a shot.. K-Rod, despite his wild outbursts and tight-rope acts at times, has been very good.. Unfortunately the primary setup man JJ Putz is out for awhile, but the good news is the former closer, Billy Wagner, should be returning soon and should provide a great boost for this bullpen and could slot into the 8th inning role if hes effective. So now on to the rotation.. This is what the rotation stands as of June 29:

Johan Santana

Mike Pelfrey

Tim Redding

Livan Hernandez

Fernando Nieve

...Yeah thats not very good; Redding, Livan, and Nieve are all arguably 5th starters.. and with the way Pelfrey has pitched, he sure is not looking like a #2 starter on a team thats supposed to be a contender.. Santana has been very good though, but thats no surprise.. John Maine is due back before Oliver Perez, so the Mets should take Tim Redding and stick him into the bullpen and slot Maine into Redding's rotation spot, then DFA Elmer Dessens or Pat Misch.. once Oliver Perez comes back the Mets will have to make a decision -- remove Livan Hernandez or Fernando Nieve? Hell, Jon Niese is pitching pretty well in AAA lately, maybe he can even get his name into the ring somehow? As of now, this is a VERY difficult question to answer, so fortunately they will have a few more weeks before they are forced to make a decision. This is what the rotation should look like when FULLY healthy:

Johan Santana

Mike Pelfrey

John Maine

Oliver Perez

Fernando Nieve / Livan Hernandez

That could be a contending rotation this year if Pelfrey starts putting it together, and hopefully Perez gets back to his 2007 form when he was a 15-game winner (and hopefully Maine can remain healthy and return to his 2007 form as well).. Fernando Nieve has been a pleasant surprise and is looking like a nice, diamond-in-the-rough find by GM Omar Minaya, but its still too early to say much about him; but so far, so good.. The Mets could definitely use a front-end starting pitcher like an Erik Bedard at this year's trade deadline, but unfortunately they will have to pay for a bat and wont afford giving up prospects for a pitcher as well.. this is where signing Ben Sheets might help, but I only recommend that if Perez or Maine come back and struggle..

3) Quick Look Ahead to 2010 / Conclusion

Off the top of my head the Mets will lack a 1B and a catcher next year: Carlos Delgado's contract expires after this season, the 2010 free agency pool for 1B is not that great .. best names out there: Delgado, Huff, Nick Johnson. This is what makes getting a true power bat like Dunn even more so needed, especially if the Mets decide to go with some sort of Murphy / Evans platoon at 1B next year, or perhaps maybe the youngster Ike Davis (currently in AA, just recently promoted from A+) can throw his name into the hat with a good showing in AA the rest of this year.. But this remains to be seen until the season ends.. if Josh Thole's defense catches up to his bat he has a strong shot at being next year's starting catcher, but a safer option could be signing Bengie Molina to a 1 or 2 year deal and have Thole be the backup.. the Mets also will have starting rotation questions -- they have young kids moving up the system quick like Jon Niese and Dillon Gee (AAA) and Brad Holt and Jenrry Mejia (AA), all of those guys could enter the picture of winning a rotation spot as soon as next year depending on how they perform at their respective levels this year.. that could possibly open the door for the mets to give thought to trading a guy like maine (or those prospects) for another need they might have next off-season.. but as for THIS year, the Mets are very depleted with injuries.. they lack a true power hitter, Adam Dunn fits that mold.. you have him for the rest of this season AND next year.. add him to this lineup and he should help you win more games, then once everyone else starts getting healthy things should start coming together.

(Extra) How To Get a Dunn Deal

This is where it gets interesting.. I think the Mets should strongly consider building a package around John Maine.. it would save prospects and also clear up the rotation saga.. Now doing this could be a risky venture since it makes Perez and Nieve that much more important, but I believe the Mets have solid enough fall-back options like Tim Redding or Jon Niese / Dillon Gee in AAA in case Nieve or Perez just stopped being effective..

..well thats what I think.. let me know what you guys think when you get a chance to read it .. alright im gonna get some rest now, as colin226's suggested :P .. night all.

Edited by nmigliore

This weekend was an embarresment.

Not last night. the Mets had every chance to win that game last night. Im telling you not having Reyes and Beltran hurts the mets big time. I still do not understand why K=Rod wasnt throwing strikes to Rivera?

lets hope the Mets are struggling now, get healthy in the next month or 2 and can turn it around just in time for september and october... Just got to hope we dont fall too far behind.

Friday and saturday yes embarrassing.

Sunday not really. IMO.