Official 2009 New York Mets Offseason Thread

Prucenterrules

Oops, I kind of messed up my writing.. The "How To Get a Dunn Deal" really wasn't part of it, hence why I still counted Maine in the rotation after I said they should consider trading him as part of the deal to get Dunn. The Dunn Deal part was more food for thought

edit: fixed in somewhat now.. again, it wasn't really part of the whole plan.. it was more or less just an 'extra' idea to think about.

Edited by nmigliore

Why is Jerry thinking of piggybacking Redding and Perez? What a dumb idea.. Im glad to see Ron Darling calling him out on it and calling it a terrible idea, which it rightfully is.

Believe it or not, Ollie is suddenly due back ahead of John Maine (1 more rehab start on Friday for AAA-Buffalo for Ollie).. Maine is not even ready to throw yet, not good.. but anyway, Ollie should bump Redding into the bullpen. No piggyback bullsh!t.

anyway, heres the lineup for tonight:

A. Reyes, ss

Murphy, 1b

Wright, 3b

Sheffield, lf

Church, rf

F. Martinez, cf

Schneider, c

Castillo, 2b

Nieve, rhp

Edited by nmigliore

Well, better luck tomorrow... 2-0 is far too big a deficit for these Mets to reach.. and Nieve looks human finally.. What are the chances the former Met CLOSER throws a CG?

Jeez, can the defense get any worse? Reyes botched a double play in the 2nd inning, then he threw wildly and almost botched the 3rd inning double play but Murphy saved him with the nice tag.. and now the Mets' outfielders (FMart/Church) take their sweet ass time to get to the ball allowing Catalenatto to get a leadoff double...

and now fvcking Looper gets a hit.. WHAT IS WITH THE OPPOSING PITCHERS?! Man, only the fvcking Mets.

Argenis Reyes is the worst SS we've had... even Ramon Martinez made smarter decisions than this fool.

Edited by nmigliore

Well theres you reason why Stokes is never going to be a Heath Bell.

Only the Mets!!! Could they ever get a big hit like that? Nope... they are batting under .100 in those spots I believe.

And who? Casey Mcghee? Who the fvck is that?

He just isn't getting the clutch hits this year.

He wasn't, then he was, now he's not. Be that as it may, he's got to be feeling the pressure big time right now, with pretty much nothing around him except Sheff, who's far from a sure thing himself.

Tri would find this interesting...I'm pretty sure Wright is on pace to break the record for the highest BABIP (Batting Average on Balls In Play) ever...it's been getting talked about quite a bit lately, in both the broadcast booth and on talk shows. That means he's hitting into a tremendous amount of luck, and since these things tend to even out over time, he's likely due to hit a skid sometime this season. It's not an absolute, but even if it doesn't happen this year, the law-of-averages could wind up manifesting itself in another season, where his BABIP winds up in the lower half of the league.

Not good news....

According to the Post, the serious aspect of for Beltran is that if microfracture surgery is necessary it would sideline him for the end of the season and potentially jeopardize his career. Beltran, 32, already has had arthroscopic surgery on both knees, doing so after the 2007 season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Me...?urn=mlb,173718

Not good news....

According to the Post, the serious aspect of for Beltran is that if microfracture surgery is necessary it would sideline him for the end of the season and potentially jeopardize his career. Beltran, 32, already has had arthroscopic surgery on both knees, doing so after the 2007 season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Me...?urn=mlb,173718

this whole season is just one big FML

Old friend Lastings Milledge has been traded (along with reliever Joel Hanrahan) to Pittsburgh for OF Nyjer Morgan and reliever Sean Burnett

I actually think its a solid deal for Pittsburgh.. Morgan is a top-of-the-order guy with no power, they already have that with McCutchen, there is no use for 2 outfielders with no power IMO.. Not to mention Morgan is already turning 29 in a few days, Milledge is still young (compared to Morgan) and still has some solid potential if he could ever right himself.

From Washington's end, they pick up a young reliever having a good season.. and they pick up yet another outfielder.. that gives them Dukes, Dunn, Harris, Kearns, Willingham, and now throw Morgan into their big basket of outfielders.. Morgan is going to play, theres no reason for them to send him down.. Dukes will probably remain the CF'er.. they probably will look to deal one or two of: Willingham (very solid bench bat) and Harris (great defensive outfielder), Kearns, or maybe even Dunn if they get overwhelmed by a nice package.

Edited by nmigliore

Seriously, whats the OBP% of opposing pitcher's (batting) vs the Mets? It has to lead the league...

and then FMart welcomes himself to the Mets by making himself look stupid.. Welcome aboard!

but whatever, Santana deserves to pay for walking the fat fvcking opposing pitcher on 4 pitches.

Edited by nmigliore

what have i been saying? only the mets.

philly is going to win, mets will fall to 4 games back, 2 games under .500 (not to mention the marlins are up there, its not only philly) .. good night... better luck next game season ...

'los mets' need to be disbanded

i know reyes isn't involved in this current fiasco of poor mets play, but i thought this was an interesting trade proposal made by some redsox blogger (metsblog found it):

to Mets: P Clay Buchholz, P Michael Bowden, OF Jacoby Ellsbury, SS Jed Lowrie (Buchholz and Bowden are the 2 top prospects in the sox system)

to Sox: SS Jose Reyes

i would heavily consider it.. it would give the mets a new SS - Lowrie, the Mets would have 2 speedy outfielders manning the corner positions (FMart, Ellsbury, with Beltran in CF).. as well as 2 major-league-ready starting pitchers who can make Maine and other Mets' pitching prospects expendable.. Santana-Pelfrey-Buchholz-Bowden-Perez (gotta keep Ollie b/c of his contract) .. or you could slot one of them in the bullpen and keep someone like Niese who will be in a major league rotation next year.

Edited by nmigliore

i know reyes isn't involved in this current fiasco of poor mets play, but i thought this was an interesting trade proposal made by some redsox blogger (metsblog found it):

to Mets: P Clay Buchholz, P Michael Bowden, OF Jacoby Ellsbury, SS Jed Lowrie (Buchholz and Bowden are the 2 top prospects in the sox system)

to Sox: SS Jose Reyes

i would heavily consider it.

omar would never, ever do that.

well, at least philly lost (ryan madson blown-save in 8th, martin prado went 4-5 and drove in 4 runs, including the winning run in the 10th! wow)... too bad they aren't the only team to worry about though - the marlins are winning 7-5 vs WSH in a rain delay.

Odd month of June for Johan... hopefully its just a fluke: (5 starts) - 2-3, 5.93 ERA, 30.1 IP, 10 BB/14 K, 7 HR allowed (5 allowed in april and may combined!!), opposing batting avg: .288

Edited by nmigliore

Congrats to FMart with a nice shot to CF for his 1st HR.

Hey, big blast by F-Mart. Kind of like when the Devils rookie scores his first career goal in the 4-1 loss.

:lol:

This team is so annoying though... its pathetic how they find ways to score in the 9th ALL OF A SUDDEN.. but watch, tomorrow down by a run in the 9th, they'll go down quietly..

now we rest sheffield/wright tomorrow vs GALLARDO .. lol if anyone is looking for a sure bet and win, theres your game to bet... go ALL IN on Milwaukee, theres no way Gallardo and the Brewers lose with Wright/Sheff out of Mets' lineup. Thats going to be 6 losses in a row, 2 straight sweeps.. ugh

Edited by nmigliore

Yeah they are living in the past with all this Dodgers stuff.. I mean I love the Brooklyn Dodgers they were my dad's team before they moved but seriously move on!

This pretty much sums up the series with the Yankees.. Insert the word "Yankees" when you hear the word "Bears"

LOL funny you posted this b/c Jerry just referenced this in his post-game interview :rofl:

btw, can Jerry Manuel make up his mind: past week or so - "we need another bat..." , tonight: "we could win with what we have here and we have to do it"

smart jerry... smart. wake up wilpons!!

Edited by nmigliore

Boy Jerry looks like the biggest freaking hypocrite right now. So after whining about how they need players and everyone's hurt now he calls a closed-door meeting and puts on the brave face?! Where was this when we needed it?

Being embarassed by the Yankees took all the emotion out of this season for me, the Mets have to pick it up and fast before CitiField becomes a ghost town the last half of the season.

Boy Jerry looks like the biggest freaking hypocrite right now. So after whining about how they need players and everyone's hurt now he calls a closed-door meeting and puts on the brave face?! Where was this when we needed it?

Being embarassed by the Yankees took all the emotion out of this season for me, the Mets have to pick it up and fast before CitiField becomes a ghost town the last half of the season.

its too bad Delgado cant come back soon enough to trade him (would be a perfect fit for the Giants who need a 1B who can hit for power).. we would get a good deal in return.. the only thing this team has to sell (if they become sellers, which seems likely) is Livan Hernandez; yeah, thats how sad it is..

I still think they should consider trading John Maine... this rotation is going to be over-filled (yeah believe it or not) in another year.. 3 of the 5 rotation spots are sure to be taken up already next year by: santana, pelfrey, perez (b/c of his contract) .. that leaves only 2 open spots, you gotta believe 1 will be used to sign a true #2/front end starter in the offseason (or via trade), and the last spot could be used for Niese. I expect Gee to remain in AAA next year (hes missed alot of time this year and isn't due back until August.. he could use more seasoning in AAA), Holt and Mejia will probably remain in AA next year but if they get off to a good enough start they'll immediately be at AAA-Buffalo. . but yeah, this rotation is going start getting filled pretty quick in the next year or 2, which is should make things interesting

Edited by nmigliore

unfortunately omar is smart enough to know that as long as 'gasolina' gets played 50x a game, people will show up to the ballpark

Edited by metallidevils

I've been done for a while now. Last night was just another joke. Omar loves taking the credit when players like Beltran, Santana and FRod fall into his lap (which is exactly what happened: Beltran would've taken a discount to become a Yankee if they had made an offer, the Red Sox and/or Yankees could have had Santana easily if they had made reasonable offers, and Omar had no real competitors for FRod's services), but in this rough time he's shown absolutely zilch in the creativity department, and chances are Omar will blame everything and everyone, except himself, as the crosshairs to continue to center on him. I really can't wait for this used-car salesman to be shown the door, but no matter how bad it gets it probably won't happen at season's end.

It's amazing that this team is actually just 3 games out of first. Last night was 1962-type stuff.