Official 2009 New York Mets Offseason Thread

Prucenterrules

It sucks to be a Mets fan.. They've lost so many close ball games I mean with a little luck we could have been a number of games in first right now but we just can't catch a break.. Wilpon is crazy if he thinks I'm going to pay to see crappy baseball.. I get a better show from the NJ Jackals in Montclair

The Coupons are a joke too.. sure they didn't let Minaya overpay for Derek Lowe but they did let him bid against himself and sign Oliver Perez to an atrocious deal. I think at this point, I would have taken Lowe and that extra year. I had a bad feeling about Perez coming into this year.. I even noted it in my pre-season predictions that I thought he would have an awful year.. there is still alot of time for him to redeem himself THIS year, but, we wont see until he comes back (he also had a knee bothering him, so I hope that was part of the reason he sucked so much).. They also didn't want Minaya to sign a corner OF (Dunn? Manny? Abreu?) because they thought Murphy would be the real deal in LF and they banked Church would be very good in RF.. Trading away for damaged goods (Putz)..And the icing on the cake is that they bleed Dodger blue, and not blue and orange..

Edited by nmigliore

The Coupons are a joke too.. sure they didn't let Minaya overpay for Derek Lowe but they did let him bid against himself and sign Oliver Perez to an atrocious deal. I think at this point, I would have taken Lowe and that extra year. I had a bad feeling about Perez coming into this year.. I even noted it in my pre-season predictions that I thought he would have an awful year.. there is still alot of time for him to redeem himself THIS year, but, we wont see until he comes back (he also had a knee bothering him, so I hope that was part of the reason he sucked so much).. They also didn't want Minaya to sign a corner OF (Dunn? Manny? Abreu?) because they thought Murphy would be the real deal in LF and they banked Church would be very good in RF.. Trading away for damaged goods (Putz)..And the icing on the cake is that they bleed Dodger blue, and not blue and orange..

And why WOULDN'T you pay over $100 to sit somewhat near the field and watch them "play" baseball.. The NL East is a joke this year too compared to what it was in 06'

Another loss as Pelfrey implodes in about 15 seconds seemingly.

Mets need absolutely perfect pitching to win because 2 runs is pretty much the limit for this offense. It's not going to happen too often.

and on top of everything this team is completely stupid in every fundamental aspect.

wow how about the production out of the catching position this year for the mets? that was a rocket from schneider.

edit: uh oh... parnell is in... thats never good (or at least not anymore).. and he faces pat burrell, again, for what seems like the 10th time :lol:

....and he gives up a hit. :rolleyes: *sigh* .. i bet kunz could do better right now.. or at least give stokes a better chance

Edited by nmigliore

Has Parnell gotten a single batter out in the last week or so? Seems every time I turn on a game, he's getting shelled.

I think he got a couple of guys in Baltimore.. but hes getting killed..

and yet Jerry STILL leaves him in there... this is getting ridiculous.. I guess he figures if he leaves him out there long enough he'll find his stuff?

lol 7-5 Rays.... clearly that strategy worked! Great one Jerry... excellent stuff.. its not ALL his fault, part of the blame must go to Omar for leaving the bullpen a mess like this.. its been VERY CLEAR that Parnell is lost on the mound, Takahashi is not getting it done, Stokes is rarely being used.. Green and Feliciano's arms are bound to fall off.. K-Rod is only for the 9th... WAKE UP. Bring up EDDIE KUNZ.

only thing to say right now is : LETS GO ORIOLES (although its too bad the Mets are not capitalizing on these Philly flops vs these AL teams)

Edited by nmigliore

....and he gives up a hit. :rolleyes: *sigh* .. i bet kunz could do better right now.. or at least give stokes a better chance

And of course Jerry pulls him the first chance he gets to bring in Parnell, who's getting pounded ala Rick Vaughn in Major League II :argh: Send him down already, this is beyond ridiculous now.

I swear Stokes is going to become the next Heath Bell, a guy who's underused for us and winds up being good in his next stop.

This looks a little like 2007 in reverse, where we kept losing every day in June and yet still remained in first cause the other teams couldn't win either and it wound up killing us in the end because we thought we could do no wrong. Of course I don't see a September flop for the Phillies but maybe this does give them a false sense of security.

Edited by Hasan4978

Is this serious talk????!!! Maine AND Perez in the bullpen?? Wow I swear the longer I watch games the more Im convinced this organization is flat out lost.

One of them has to start. Im not ready to give up on any of them as a starter yet either

Yeah I wouldn't get too carried away with the success of Livan, Nieve and Redding enough to do that although I am starting to wonder about Maine and whether maybe his place is in the pen at this point since he always either gets banged up or struggles to get through five innings. You can't put Ollie in the pen though, I don't care how bad you need a second lefty in the pen - if he's healthy he's got to start.

I would just LOVE to hear Jerry and Omar's reasoning for why Parnell and Takahashi should be in our bullpen.. I would just love to hear it. I know Bobby has some great stuff but RIGHT NOW hes totally off and should be sent down to AAA.

I can guarantee you there is better options in AAA... nothing can be worse than Taka and Parnell's performances.

edit: well this looks like a sure loss despite 9 outs left to play with.. hopefully the Orioles close out their game... thats all this team needs is the Phillies to comeback, get a walkoff win, and then go on the road and go on a hot streak.

lol now a rain delay.. man just end the game, fvck suspending it, the mets have no fight in them. end it now.. we went through the same bullsh!t yesterday

Edited by nmigliore

Haha rain delay...but they can't give Tampa the win because the Mets had the lead going into the inning and didn't get to bat (new rule). We'd probably be better off not going back out there today and having it be suspended until we can get a real bullpen.

Edited by Hasan4978

Sherrill on to close for Baltimore, up 2-1 .. Stairs (LH), Werth (RH), Dobbs (LH) due up vs the lefty Sherrill.

why do i have a bad feeling about this?

edit: Stairs grounds out .. 1 out.

edit: Werth pops out .. 2 out.

edit: Mayberry pinch hits for Dobbs and flies out .. 3 out.

PHILLIES LOSE!!! So if the Mets lose.... they dont lose any ground on Philly.. its just too bad they aren't GAINING ground on them.. Philly isn't going to keep losing like this.

Edited by nmigliore

Yeah lets keep wearing out Green and Feliciano... woohooo .. they cant do anything right. FORGET THIS GAME Jerry the team isn't coming back.. they had their shot last inning and blew it by getting just 1 run... bring in Switzer please.

We better hope Redding goes 8 innings strong tomorrow because we have no bullpen.

Edited by nmigliore

banged up across the board...lineup, staff, and pen

unclutch (chokers)

poor fundamentals

bad luck

overworked pen falling apart

it's just crumbling. I know we're still close in the division but I'm actually leaning towards maybe holding on to all our assets and letting them finish 3rd or 4th. It's not going to happen this year.

banged up across the board...lineup, staff, and pen

unclutch (chokers)

poor fundamentals

bad luck

overworked pen falling apart

it's just crumbling. I know we're still close in the division but I'm actually leaning towards maybe holding on to all our assets and letting them finish 3rd or 4th. It's not going to happen this year.

this is what i've said recently.. forget trades, unless they hook someone that is still under contract next year and MAYBE can help them get to the wild card this year (ie: Dunn).. but they cant keep throwing out the same guys from the bullpen. At least call up Eddie Kunz from AAA and lets see what he can do this year. What do they have to lose? Everyone knows this lineup nevers hits and when they do, the pitching is a joke.

this is what i've said recently.. forget trades, unless they hook someone that is still under contract next year and MAYBE can help them get to the wild card this year (ie: Dunn).. but they cant keep throwing out the same guys from the bullpen. At least call up Eddie Kunz from AAA and lets see what he can do this year. What do they have to lose? Everyone knows this lineup nevers hits and when they do, the pitching is a joke.

when they do hit it's station to station...and they NEVER get a hit with the bases loaded. ever ever ever. And forget the long ball.

Kunz is a must callup, pen is in shambles and he's doing fine in the minors. Looks like the book is out on Parnell.

Maybe we can look into signing Pedro? I know most don't want to go down that road again but we need to eat up inning one way or another. Where's El Duque? :rolleyes:

I'm almost excited to see Wagner again.

Edited by '7'

when they do hit it's station to station...and they NEVER get a hit with the bases loaded. ever ever ever. And forget the long ball.

Kunz is a must callup, pen is in shambles and he's doing fine in the minors. Looks like the book is out on Parnell.

Maybe we can look into signing Pedro? I know most don't want to go down that road again but we need to eat up inning one way or another. Where's El Duque? :rolleyes:

I'm almost excited to see Wagner again.

re: offense - yeah thats pretty much it; although, somehow, they lead the league in batting avg and obp with RISP .. however with the bases loaded, as a team, they are hitting just .211/.256/.342 .. compare that to Philly's numbers with the bases full - .311/.420/.607

re: parnell - i think he needs to develop a 3rd pitch.. he doesn't have enough command to just live off a mid 90's fastball and high 80's slider. wasn't he working on a splitter with putz back in spring training? whatever happened with that? hes got nothing else to lose, why not try it? i think the mets should option him down to AAA; let him find himself down there and call up Eddie Kunz.

edit: here is Parnell's stats over his past 8 appearances (saw it on SNY) - 0-3, 4.0 IP, 22.50 ERA, 13 hits, 10 ER, .520 opp. avg

re: Pedro - i dont think pedro will help; right now we have Santana, Pelf, Redding, Nieve, and Livan. Obviously Santana and Pelf' aren't going anywhere.. with the way Livan is pitching, he isn't going anywhere.. Nieve has been very impressive in his 2 starts.. and Redding has been up and down.. we still have Maine and Perez due back.. Niese is pitching alot better in AAA very recently, the rotation is just too full for Pedro. Oh and btw, El Duque was actually signed to a minor league deal by Texas :lol:

Wagner should be able to really boost this bullpen... too bad he cant come soon enough

Edited by nmigliore