Official 2009 New York Mets Offseason Thread

Prucenterrules

According to Bart Hubbuch of the NY Post, Argenis Reyes was demoted to AAA but no corresponding move was announced.. he guesses it could be Angel Berroa, which I would say is my top guess as well.. Berroa isn't on the 40-man roster though, so he would need to be added, but that shouldn't be a problem since they have guys like Arturo Lopez, Carlos Muniz taking up space that could be removed.

Another guess would be Niese, but, I don't see why they would send down an extra infielder and replace him with a starting pitcher.. and also, supposedly Livan and Nieve will make their next starts after the allstar break.

We'll see what comes of this..

Edited by nmigliore

went to the game yesterday - citi field is a nice ballpark. had seats way out in left field but didn't feel too far away from the action - of course, i could not see the apple, and none of us could figure out why the hell people were chanting (i thought it was the standard 'a$$hole' chant from wrestling, but i couldn't figure out why in the world mets fans would do this after a home run). friend of mine waited in line for a half hour for the shake shack, said it was almost worth it. i went to blue smoke, food was excellent.

in all, i think mets fans will come to love citi field.

went to the game yesterday - citi field is a nice ballpark. had seats way out in left field but didn't feel too far away from the action - of course, i could not see the apple, and none of us could figure out why the hell people were chanting (i thought it was the standard 'a$$hole' chant from wrestling, but i couldn't figure out why in the world mets fans would do this after a home run). friend of mine waited in line for a half hour for the shake shack, said it was almost worth it. i went to blue smoke, food was excellent.

in all, i think mets fans will come to love citi field.

on TV it sounded like they were cheering "We Want Apple!" or "Apple!!!" since the HR apple failed to rise after Tatis' HR :lol:

heres a video link to it: http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/media/video.js...61&c_id=nym

re citi field: yeah citi field is great, i've been to quite a few games already.. i have yet to check out the 'big' food places like shake shack and blue smoke etc though, normally i've just gotten food at a stand where my seats were. some people have complained there is not enough mets stuff, which makes sense but im not too bothered by it.. although its disappointing the championship banners are hanging out where not many people could see them.. they had them in a nice spot at Shea.. also the black-colored walls are kind of awkward.

Edited by nmigliore

thanks for the link nmig, i was showed video of it later.

i'm sure it'll be upsetting to mets fans and it certainly made sense when shea was built, but damn it all that park should not be all the way out in bumfvck, queens. takes forever to get there for anyone who lacks a car, esp. on a weekend when the 7 train doesn't run express.

'we want apple' - that's when we figured out what it was. none of the people i went with were mets fans so they did not understand that the apple rises from the top hat when the mets hit a home run.

I think it's hilarious that, because of the All-Star game and a 10 game road trip, I'm actually going to the next Mets home game, but it's not for two weeks yet. :lol:

I'm way out in deep west bumblefvck, but I don't anticipate sitting in my seats much anyway. Any places you guys who've been there recommend checking out besides the obvious (rotunda, etc)?

Edited by thelastonealive

I think it's hilarious that, because of the All-Star game and a 10 game road trip, I'm actually going to the next Mets home game, but it's not for two weeks yet. :lol:

I'm way out in deep west bumblefvck, but I don't anticipate sitting in my seats much anyway. Any places you guys who've been there recommend checking out besides the obvious (rotunda, etc)?

nice man, if its vs Colorado (haven't checked the schedule in awhile) then I'll be going to that one as well.. Ill be sitting in the lower section in RF (i think sec. 139 to be exact), 2nd row.. i had exact same seats vs Phillies (except I was the section closest to the HR apple area) a month ago and they were great IMO.

from what i know, all of the food places in CF are great if you are looking for good food, although i have yet to check any of them out.. the old HR apple and the championship banners are behind the bullpens I believe.

Edited by nmigliore

nice man, if its vs Colorado (haven't checked the schedule in awhile) then I'll be going to that one as well.. Ill be sitting in the lower section in RF (i think sec. 139 to be exact), 2nd row.. i had exact same seats vs Phillies (except I was the section closest to the HR apple area) a month ago and they were great IMO.

from what i know, all of the food places in CF are great if you are looking for good food, although i have yet to check any of them out.. the old HR apple and the championship banners are behind the bullpens I believe.

It's that Monday against Colorado, yeah. I'm way up high in left field, 520-something.

Is that bridge-like area in right center field a ticketed thing or can anyone hang out over there, do you know? Seems like a cool view.

It's that Monday against Colorado, yeah. I'm way up high in left field, 520-something.

Is that bridge-like area in right center field a ticketed thing or can anyone hang out over there, do you know? Seems like a cool view.

i think you can view the game from there without problem since that is where the main food places are, but the seats below the bridge are obviously ticketed..

One of the upper-tier Mets' prospects (some might know), catcher Francisco Pena, has been just on fire this month for the St. Lucie Mets.

In July for Pena (10 games): .316/.366/.737 , 4 HR , 10 RBI , 3 BB/5 K .. his 4 HR's this month are more than he had in april, may, and june combined (2).. his 8 runs scored are more than he had any other individual month.. and his 3 BB/5 K makes him on pace to have the most walks and least amount of strikeouts in a month for him. Another worthy note is that he is on a 3-game homer streak; over those last 3 games for St. Lucie he is 8-16 (.500) with 3 HR and 7 RBI. In 62 games this year he has just as many HRs as he did all of last year (6) where he was at a lower level of play (A) and played in 105 games. So that puts him on pace for roughly 10+ HRs in the same amount of games this year at a more advanced level (A+).

Its highly likely he will repeat another year in A+ ball, which isn't a bad thing at all since hes only 19 which is young for that level of play. Hopefully he continues to show good power and better patience at the plate.

Edited by nmigliore

As I expected, Angel Berroa is in fact the call-up in replacement of Argenis Reyes who was demoted to AAA-Buffalo before the ASG.

Ollie needs to throw strikes (duh); he can't expect to get lucky again like he did vs LA when he walked 7 batters.. Anyway, lets get this 2nd half started on the right foot..LETS GO METS!

edit, from Metsblog covering Minaya press conference: "Fernando Martinez had an operation on torn cartilage in his knee two days ago, and Minaya does not expect him to return until September." - Well that sucks.. Looks like a corner OF spot for next season is going to be another big question mark since FMart really isn't going to have enough time to prove he could start full time next year.

Update.. lineup:

Angel Pagan CF

Luis Castillo 2B

David Wright 3B

Gary Sheffield LF

Jeff Francoeur RF

Daniel Murphy 1B

Alex Cora SS

Brian Schneider C

Oliver Perez LHP

and pretty much all of the other injury news sucked too.

Edited by nmigliore

A Met gets called out at the plate on that kind of play 100% of the time.

Games like these the Braves usually stamp the Mets out and end their season. I fully expect a sweep and they will be 9.5 out by the weekend.

terrible defense... how do the mets let the McCann score from 1st? and schneider, who is supposed to be a great defensive catcher, doesn't block the plate enough

Games like these the Braves usually stamp the Mets out and end their season. I fully expect a sweep and they will be 9.5 out by the weekend.

eh, i dont think they are going anywhere this year anyway (i originally wanted Dunn but i know hes going to cost a boatload and not be worth it unless the mets were in good striking distance THIS year, otherwise hes basically just a rental for next year); so im still sticking to not trading anyone and keeping prospects.. if our star players get healthy - good, hopefully we can make a run which is possible if the mets can keep in close ground (5-7 games at most).. if we cant, oh well, we'll have a nice draft pick next year.

(edit: fwiw, if season ended today the mets would have 10th overall pick in next year's draft.. but that will certainly change once the mets get more healthy.. if its a non-playoff season hopefully we finish with a 1-15 pick; that enables the mets to sign a type-a free agent without giving up that 1st pick.. but anything from 16 and up is forfeited if the mets sign a type-a..) - so depending on where they finish, might effect what they do in free agency next year..

niese is gonna be called up soon too which should be nice.. he'll be in next year's rotation (unless hes traded) so a couple of months of starting in the major leagues should help him and prep him for next year.

Edited by nmigliore

1st/3rd with 1 out for Chipper Jones.. should I just turn off the TV now?

theres a shocker.. chipper jones gets a big hit vs the mets.

edit: at least pat misch is looking like a nice find for the bullpen.. he throws strikes and i love that big curveball he throws for a strike.

Edited by nmigliore

7.5 out now with the typical collapse job in Atlanta. At this point we may have to be aggressive sellers. Get what you can for Cora, Sheffield, Tatis. Somebody can use those spare parts and we might find a diamond in the rough with some mid level prospects

7.5 out now with the typical collapse job in Atlanta. At this point we may have to be aggressive sellers. Get what you can for Cora, Sheffield, Tatis. Somebody can use those spare parts and we might find a diamond in the rough with some mid level prospects

Sheffield should bring back the most value out of that group, hes having a very nice year..

Misch's numbers out of the Mets' bullpen so far: 10 IP, 6 hits, 1 ER (0.90 ERA), 5 BB/8 K

I just hope the Mets position is well defined by the trade deadline. 10 out, obviouse sellers. But watch they be 5 out or something, no mans land...then who knows what the hell Omar is going to do. I just want to be clear cut buyers or clear cut sellers.

Anyway i think of it, we shouldn't be buyers. whats the biggest thing that could happen from a trade - we get, say, a batter like Holliday or Dunn? One of those guys isn't going to suddenly make the team unbeatable; the team needs to get healthy, and it doesn't seem like everyone is going to be fully healthy until late August, and by then this team is going to be wayyy out of it especially if Philly gets Halladay.. giving up top prospects, especially for a rental, would be a terrible gamble.

dont forget the mets dont have to do anything by the deadline.. they could wait until august and get a definite answer of whether they are contenders or not, and then, if not, stick a bunch of guys on waivers and make a couple trades (although i dont think you would get back as much value as you would if you traded them at the trading deadline)

unfortunately, i think omar is going to make a stupid trade give up some good prospect.. just watch.

edit: well, make it 7.5 games out.. soriano made that look easier than anything frankie has given us all year, no? :lol: ... well the good is that this keeps pushing us down and out so we dont make a dumb deadline deal.

Edited by nmigliore

I don't see Omar going down without a fight.. He'll do everything he can to prove to the owners that he tried his best this season and shouldn't be fired, which will just f*** us up even more for the future..

So what are your predictions on ticket prices for next season? I bet if the Mets even came close to a playoff bid they'd raise prices.. Hard to believe the price will go down either (maybe down for season tickets and up for singles?).. In any event, even the Wilpon's know they have no business charging insane prices for bad baseball

I don't see Omar going down without a fight.. He'll do everything he can to prove to the owners that he tried his best this season and shouldn't be fired, which will just f*** us up even more for the future..

So what are your predictions on ticket prices for next season? I bet if the Mets even came close to a playoff bid they'd raise prices.. Hard to believe the price will go down either (maybe down for season tickets and up for singles?).. In any event, even the Wilpon's know they have no business charging insane prices for bad baseball

I doubt the ticket prices are changed.