Ok, now that I've calmed down a bit...

babrooks213

Hoo boy. That was a tough one.

As soon as they tied the game, I knew it was over. I was stunned when the game was tied, and pissed when it was over.

There's going to be a lot of finger pointing, and really, that's to be expected. But I don't think we can point to a specific mistake that was made that cost us the entire series. We could have (and, frankly, should have) won the series much longer ago. It's easy for a lot of us to say that the series was lost with 90 seconds to go, but if we had won game two or game four, we wouldn't be in this position.

Having said that, my thoughts on the series (and season) as a whole:

1. Brodeur let in two soft goals - the first and the last. But in between, he was pretty solid for most of the game - and even during the series. Yes, he looked horrible in game 6, but he was unbeatable in game 5. He may be getting old, and I know a lot of us aren't very happy with him, but he's still got the goods. He's going to be our goalie for the next few years and frankly, I'm fine with that. If we have to have the best goalie in the history of the game between the pipes, so be it.

2. We saw the emergence and maturation of our young players, particularly Parise and Zajac. Zajac especially improved from last season to this season, and I think they'll only get better.

3. Elias and Gionta look great together, but they desperately need someone to keep up with them. Zubrus has good physical presence, but he can't move the puck and skates as well as my dead grandmother's anus. I think switching his place with Rolston would have made a big difference. Zuber could punish people with Rupp and Clarkson; Rolston can make plays with Elias and Gionta.

4. Some people didn't like Sutter's reliance on Madden and Pandolfo, but boy, they looked great tonight. I just wish that Johnny had scored a goal in one of his million breakaways tonight. I think Pando's got a year or two left in him, but it's pretty obvious he's going to have to retire soon. I hope Shanny doesn't retire for one more season. The man's just too brilliant.

5. I'm frustrated with Havelid. I wanted him to be a great acquisition - and he had so much promise. And I really think he is as good as we thought he is when we first got him...but for whatever reason, he hasn't performed as sharply as needed. But on the other hand, we got to see the emergence of Andy Greene as a viable defenseman.

6. We're not going to get Bouwmeester. Let that idea die.

7. This season had SO much promise and I'm incredibly disappointed it had to end like this. But the Hurricanes are a tenacious team, and I have to give them that much respect.

8. If nothing else, the Rangers and the Flyers are out too.

This team is going to get a lot worse before it gets any better. Our cap situation is terrible and we have awful players tied up seemingly forever. Colin White, Zubrus and Rolston are all tied into expensive longterm contracts and they are all terrible at hockey.

Aside form the goal Pandolfo looked like he didn't belong in the ECHL tonight. He logged too many minutes and it's a powerplay for the opposition when he's on the ice because the Devils can't clear the zone.

Madden...not too sure. But we got a glimpse of the old madden who couldn't get it by Weekes in OT in 2002. He had two 2 on 1's in the waning minutes and shot into Wards chest both times. He's lost a step.

Yes... the calmed down thoughts...

Marty - Obviously you don't become the winningest goalie in history without some skill. But he's about to be 37, and the game around him has changed. We need a fresh guy to come in. (My vote, obviously - Clemmers) Let Marty slowly step down.

Rolston - One of my two men (Clarkson being the other). Big contract, rough year. It's hard for me to say, but of course, just like everyone else I don't think he lived up to his contract. But I still love him, and hopefully next year will be a big one for him.

Shannny - Love love love this man. Just feel like he never gives up, and he makes smart plays. Really plays w/ his heart.

Defense - Just overall argh.

Sutter - A., he needs to go purely based on his name. My company represents Bruce Sutter (baseball), and it's just too close to Brent Sutter, but not the same at all, and it just aggravates me, haha. I'm not overly attached to him. I have no patience for someone who is so monotone and rarely shows passion. I mean, look, you don't need to throw a bench to show that you are upset, but a little more than pouting your mouth to the side would be nice. And I know trying to see the positive in everything, but look, sometimes your team just sucked... sometimes they just didn't show up to play. To say Marty played "extraordinary" tonight (okay, well I already forget what word he used, but it was along that...) is a bit much. Say he had some great saves, there were some tough bounces... ya know... Oh well.

Oh well... time for baseball I guess. But I'm a Mets fan. God doesn't love me, lol.

this loss was probably the worst sports loss i've ever witnessed as a fan.. I wasn't around for the Pisarcik fumble but after seeing Marty lose two late games like this (and yes, i know it's not all on him) to the same team, it's just devastating.

What's even worse is Lou will come back with the same group of players next year, convinced that they all have what it takes to the win the Cup, only to see them choke in the first round.

This team needs scoring and lots of it. But since we can't seem to spend any money on free-agents who can do that, we're in a bit of a pickle. Even if we did have scorers though, i'm sure they would suddenly forget how to score the minute they put on the Devils uniform. I just cant understand it. It's sad, depressing, upsetting.. i'm just at a loss for words as a fan of this team.

how the hell is a stanley cup finals game 7 loss worse than a first round game 7 loss?

because that game was a quiet 3-1 loss where we were outplayed start to finish and deserved it

Here we were up 3-2 with 80 seconds to go

We couldn't get it to overtime. They let Carolina score 2 goals in 80 seconds. And we led the series 3-2

this is the worst i've seen in all my years of watching hockey. And it happened to us. In a game 7 no less!

Edited by '7'

This team is going to get a lot worse before it gets any better. Our cap situation is terrible and we have awful players tied up seemingly forever. Colin White, Zubrus and Rolston are all tied into expensive longterm contracts and they are all terrible at hockey.

It's depressing but maybe we need to go through a rut like the Penguins did in the 90's before things get better? We need some high draft picks, talented free agents, and an heir to Marty.. someone who can take over the reins and do a respectable job.

As a Devils fan, I think we're in for a few more years of "great regular seasons" and first round flops before this ship gets turned around.

I'd hate to say it, but with White, Zubrus, and Rolston tied up... and Lou's inability to spend money on top tier talent.. and the defense being nonexistant....and the lack or scoring on the PP....uggh.... it's going to be while before we're back to the Cup.

Edited by slasher72

Aside form the goal Pandolfo looked like he didn't belong in the ECHL tonight. He logged too many minutes and it's a powerplay for the opposition when he's on the ice because the Devils can't clear the zone.

Madden...not too sure. But we got a glimpse of the old madden who couldn't get it by Weekes in OT in 2002. He had two 2 on 1's in the waning minutes and shot into Wards chest both times. He's lost a step.

He's going to be a free agent in the offseason, right? Someone else might lure him and Rupp. Wouldn't free up a ton of cap room, but it's money we could use to try to get someone else in, while working on bringing up PL3 or Bergfors

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I LIKE Madden and wouldn't mind if he stayed with the Devils, but Lou has shown he's very unsentimental when it comes to our skilled players (see: Arnott, Gomez, Rafalski), so it's a real possibility that Mad Dog will go elsewhere

Edited by babrooks213

Elias and Gionta look great together, but they desperately need someone to keep up with them.

...it would be a shame if they let Gio walk. I'm not saying overpay, (he did that twice already with 12 & 8 ^_^ ) but this isn't the player you want to play hardball with. Not unless his demands are way out there. (which I don't believe they will be) I know after a lose like last night, it's easy to say; 'Fvck all the UFA's!' But discretion needs to be implemented here with not losing the type of players this team actually NEEDS. 60 point players don't grow on trees. (not to mention a 90 point upswing window, provided the right chemistry)

Gio stays.

I am still angry about game 7.

We played a solid 55 minutes of hockey only to let two last minute Canes goals send us home.

I was talking to one of my friends last night and I agree with him in that I'd rather we'd lost by 10 goals then lose a heartbreaker like that.

I agree with babrooks on some of these thoughts.

1. Brodeur was shaky at times, but the blame doesn't rest solely on his shoulders. The D in game 7 in those last few minutes were disgusting.

2. Zach and Trav played very well, I expect to see great things from them in the future,

3. Zubrus should be moved to the 4th line to replace the useless Holik who I hope is already gone. Zubes is too slow for the Elias and Gio line and is just holding them back.

4. Maddog, Pando, Oduya all had great games/series.

5. Havelid should be fired, not traded....FIRED. He is a pile on and completely sucks as a D man. Plus his "positioning" cost us two crucial goals.

6. Are we still on the Bouwmeester thing?

7. The only player that deserves any accolades on the canes is Ward.

8. Go Boston.

Ugh....back to drinking.