Havelid

devlman

You want to play that game?

I blame Parise.

He turned into the boards and instead of giving it a whack or a flip (and he had a moment to do it) up the ice or off the glass. and he failed to clear it at least twice.

See how easy that was?

Every defender's been on the ice for a bad goal at the bad time at some point or another.

I agree.. let's trade him

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a Havelid fan as he's not physical enough and can't clear the crease. I'm not sure Jay Leach wouldn't be a better option. He played well when in and isn't far from Colin White pre-injury when he was new in the league. For whatever reason, I never worried when Leach played D and knew that he'd at least be physical in the defensive zone.

You have not been reading my posts since the day Lou traded for this POS. I have noticed Havelid's play during the regular season and playoffs but no one really listened until seeing it for themselves. Havelid sucks and I hope we never see him again. He was way out of position on the game tying goal by Jokinen and he has been sh!t his whole time here. This Devils team and defense was doing fine without him and then he started to play and the Devils started to lose and play like sh!t with no chemistry among the dmen. Havelid even made salvador play like sh!t when they were paired up. Havelid is just awful period especially in that playoff series and say bye-bye to him for good.

Totally agree with you. Havelid is a traffic cone and he has been called out many times on this board. Give one of the youngsters a chance. we need someone to make an impact. Steady is steady but playing it safe when one needs to go beyond safe is not what we need ...especially for a team "built for the playoffs". :soap:

I wouldn't mind seeing Havelid come back next season, so long as he's not the centerpiece of the defense. The Havelid situation is looking much like the Salvador pickup at last years trade deadline. IIRC, alot of people wanted Salvie's head on a stick as well and now he's developed into one of our more solid d-men. Havelid, if he sticks, will follow the same sort of path.

Besides, he was picked up to simply be an upgrade over Greene and Leetch, which he was. Can't really ask more of the guy. For some reason, it takes a while for d-men to mesh in with the Devils...the quick fixes never work as they should but the ones who stay, usually work out OK.

Edit : As for the youngsters the poster above mentioned, there are no youngsters in our system who are ready to play in the NHL. I don't follow the minors as much as I should, but I don't think any of our prospects are projected to be more than 4th, maybe 3rd line types. Corrente is the only d-man who's even somewhat close and he's not the answer. 1st pairing defensemen don't grow on trees.

Edited by Bulletproof

Don't be surprised when Havelid is re-signed before July 1st.

Maybe on your fantasy team Manta. It won't be for the Devils. Like Jerry said, I will be suprised if Lou makes that bad move.

Havelid was BAD AWFUL. How can anyone say he was doing well or played solid? :unsure: I know many of us watched the same games and Devils team and havelid was far from playing good at all. The records show and this defensive group was doing well without him. Greene and Salvador were playing well and a lot better than Havelid/Salvador was that is for sure. Mottau and Greene are both better than Havelid. Sorry.

Havelid is just terrible and just could not get into the the system the Devils were implying. he is not even close to understanding or getting here in New Jersey. This series with Carolina and Game 7 is a perfect example that Havelid has no fvcking clue how to play in the system.

Edited by SatansDevils

I wasnt impressed with Havelid's play either, although saying that he ruined the whole chemistry on defence may be a bit of a stretch. He just wasnt really that much of an upgrade from Greene. I would be disappointed if LL signed him.

Yet everyone here would have been up in arms if no moves were made on trade deadline day.

Lou took a gamble losing a prospect that he picked up in the summer for a veteran player who was in many of other teams sights.

So, it didn't work out....big deal.....at least he made a move. What did you want the farm team for Jay Bou?

Havelid was brought in to be a supporting character, fact is, if our top pairs were really "top pairs" we wouldn't be discussing "Brad Bomabadir 2009".

Having said that, for the future, the aging warrior route has proven its ineffectiveness and this team badly needs to get younger and a true prime defenseman, so no Havelid shouldn't be back.

Good! I'll split the plane ticket and gas money with you MD! Havelid goodbye, C-YA!

*Paging everyone*, SD has a new whipping boy: Havelid (used to be Mottau)

You play him out to be awful, im not saying he was good, but he certainly wasn't awful. White was more alarming. And I think this was brought up already (about Havelid), but, him with Greene in Game 7 was a death pairing.

Edited by nmigliore

Yet everyone here would have been up in arms if no moves were made on trade deadline day.

Lou took a gamble losing a prospect that he picked up in the summer for a veteran player who was in many of other teams sights.

So, it didn't work out....big deal.....at least he made a move. What did you want the farm team for Jay Bou?

Havelid was brought in to be a supporting character, fact is, if our top pairs were really "top pairs" we wouldn't be discussing "Brad Bomabadir 2009".

Having said that, for the future, the aging warrior route has proven its ineffectiveness and this team badly needs to get younger and a true prime defenseman, so no Havelid shouldn't be back.

While I agree with 90% of this, I still wonder where these dynamo young defensemen are. Everyone says we need to get younger but you can't trade old age for youth and d-men in their prime cost a pretty penny on free agency. The only way of doing this is to draft high and the only way to do this is to tank for a few years. I wonder how many here would be willing to put up with that...

While I agree with 90% of this, I still wonder where these dynamo young defensemen are. Everyone says we need to get younger but you can't trade old age for youth and d-men in their prime cost a pretty penny on free agency. The only way of doing this is to draft high and the only way to do this is to tank for a few years. I wonder how many here would be willing to put up with that...

I don't mean kids, just under 35.

As I 've been saying Frank Beaucheman is a true top pair guy that does it all. Throw 5M at him easy. He's better than White or Oduya.

*Paging everyone*, SD has a new whipping boy: Havelid (used to be Mottau)

You play him out to be awful, im not saying he was good, but he certainly wasn't awful. White was more alarming. And I think this was brought up already (about Havelid), but, him with Greene in Game 7 was a death pairing.

Hey, we have another board policeman here...

lol, Havelid was awful and teaming him up with either Greene or Salvador their play was not as good in that pairing. Havelid was like a bad virus that plagued the Devils dmen. It especially showed in the first round of the playoffs. Greene and Salvador would have been a lot better, but unfortunately Salvador was still injured for Game 7. I wish Sutter would have let Salvador play Game 7 with Greene and scratch Havelid, then we might not be having this conversation and the devils could be in the second round.

lol, Havelid was awful and teaming him up with either Greene or Salvador their play was not as good in that pairing. Havelid was like a bad virus that plagued the Devils dmen. It especially showed in the first round of the playoffs. Greene and Salvador would have been a lot better, but unfortunately Salvador was still injured for Game 7. I wish Sutter would have let Salvador play Game 7 with Greene and scratch Havelid, then we might not be having this conversation and the devils could be in the second round.

By your logic the power of Greene should be enough to make any defensive partner of his instantly better.

right; im sorry you have issues people quoting your posts and disagreeing with your opinion. My whipping boy comment is true though, any time there was a discussion about our D you put the hate on Mottau for pretty much no reason... now its on Havelid..

I disagree with this.. Havelid didn't play well, Im not denying that, but Greene/Sal and Havelid/Sal is just about a wash, if not that then the edge goes to Havelid... I liked the way Greene played though, but he should not have been with Havelid. My point is that you are putting so much blame on 1 defenseman, which is what you pretty much always do. And again Im not trying sticking up for Havelid at all (im hoping hes not resigned if there is better out there in the UFA market)