$1,260,000,000 in pot confiscated in CA

http://www.fresnobee.com/local/story/1553061.html

""Marijuana is dangerous and has no medicinal benefit," Kerlikowske said in downtown Fresno while discussing Operation SOS -- Save Our Sierra -- a multiagency effort to eradicate marijuana in eastern Fresno County."

Dangerous...right.

So that's $1,260,000,000 that will end up in Mexico instead of the United states. What a waste.

That's going to put a crimp in someone's bottom line

If the stupid govenment would just wake the fvck up, realize weed is infinitely less harmful than tobacco and alcohol (two substances perfectly legal for public consumption, despite the millions of people they both kill combined every year), and tax the sh!t out of it, it might actually help us a little. But that would make too much sense.

If the stupid govenment would just wake the fvck up, realize weed is infinitely less harmful than tobacco and alcohol (two substances perfectly legal for public consumption, despite the millions of people they both kill combined every year), and tax the sh!t out of it, it might actually help us a little. But that would make too much sense.

100% agreed.. The ban is irrational and ridiculous

I'd like to walk into the drug czar's office, light up a big fat blunt, blow all the smoke in his face, and put the blunt out on his forehead.

Isn't pot supposed to MELLOW you, hence making this act unpossible?? :P

I destroy all the pot that comes into my possession.

Top form sir :lol:

I think the biggest problem with pot is not so much the drug itself, it's IMO the government that sees all the crime that goes along with it. You know like rival drug gangs and all that fighting for turf.

Some reasons for legalizing it are very valid and make sense. Look at prohibition, crime went through the roof with bootleggers and what not forcing the government to legalize alcohol again, result= the crime virtually disappeared overnight.

I believe the same thing would happen if pot was legalized, the crime would drop pretty quickly and the government could tax the hell out of it and generate billions of $ to help pay for Health care reform without raising income tax through the roof to pay for it.

There are many good points to this, all the cartels in Colombia and Mexico would be out of business overnight = Crime drops dramatically.

I think the biggest problem with pot is not so much the drug itself, it's IMO the government that sees all the crime that goes along with it. You know like rival drug gangs and all that fighting for turf.

Some reasons for legalizing it are very valid and make sense. Look at prohibition, crime went through the roof with bootleggers and what not forcing the government to legalize alcohol again, result= the crime virtually disappeared overnight.

I believe the same thing would happen if pot was legalized, the crime would drop pretty quickly and the government could tax the hell out of it and generate billions of $ to help pay for Health care reform without raising income tax through the roof to pay for it.

There are many good points to this, all the cartels in Colombia and Mexico would be out of business overnight = Crime drops dramatically.

Hey, it's already de-criminialized under a certain amount in Massachusetts. I was just talking about this with my sister (she lives right outside Boston), and she told me the worst that will happen to you up there if you get busted with a reasonable amount is you get a ticket- no arrest, it doesn't stay on your record or anything... that's a big step in the right direction. But the feds really need to get their heads out of their asses on this issue and stop turning a blind eye to it based on myths perpetrated on us years ago. And the denial about it's medicinal purposes is just lunacy. Out and out lunacy, that goes against published FACTS issued by reputable medical professionals and organizations. The ignorance being displayed by the federal government on this issue is unconchanable.

Hey, it's already de-criminialized under a certain amount in Massachusetts. I was just talking about this with my sister (she lives right outside Boston), and she told me the worst that will happen to you up there if you get busted with a reasonable amount is you get a ticket- no arrest, it doesn't stay on your record or anything... that's a big step in the right direction. But the feds really need to get their heads out of their asses on this issue and stop turning a blind eye to it based on myths perpetrated on us years ago. And the denial about it's medicinal purposes is just lunacy. Out and out lunacy, that goes against published FACTS issued by reputable medical professionals and organizations. The ignorance being displayed by the federal government on this issue is unconchanable.

Good points MD, but IMO it isn't ignorance from the government, they know darned well the crime would cease. As you and I know it's all about controlling the populous.

Another reason IMO the government is against it is that it would put a $hitload of people out of work, namely the DEA.

It's pretty stupid AND corrupt if you ask me. The money the governemt, either Dem or Rep-rest easy Squish and Rowdy :P spends on drug enforcement added to the money it could gain is a double edged sword.

Let's say for simple math that the governemet spends $3 billion a year for drug enforcement, add that to the mooney it could make in taxing pot, let's say $3 billion.

That's $6 billion the government has lost, on top of that you have thousands of poeople murdered/killed each year :doh1:

People die from alcohol poisioning every year, nobody bats an eyelid. People die from diseases of smoking every year, nobody bats an eyelid.

Someone dies from a drug overdose = Oh shock horror !

Legalize it, it makes sense.

Good points MD, but IMO it isn't ignorance from the government, they know darned well the crime would cease. As you and I know it's all about controlling the populous.

Another reason IMO the government is against it is that it would put a $hitload of people out of work, namely the DEA.

It's pretty stupid AND corrupt if you ask me. The money the governemt, either Dem or Rep-rest easy Squish and Rowdy :P spends on drug enforcement added to the money it could gain is a double edged sword.

Let's say for simple math that the governemet spends $3 billion a year for drug enforcement, add that to the mooney it could make in taxing pot, let's say $3 billion.

That's $6 billion the government has lost, on top of that you have thousands of poeople murdered/killed each year :doh1:

People die from alcohol poisioning every year, nobody bats an eyelid. People die from diseases of smoking every year, nobody bats an eyelid.

Someone dies from a drug overdose = Oh shock horror !

Legalize it, it makes sense.

NZT, I agree with everything you said in this post 1,260,000,000 %. It's long past time the douchebags in Washington woke up. I'm sick and tired of my government telling me what they think is good for me and what isn't.

You really think gang wars are fought over pot? No, man, they're after the hard stuff. That's not to say that pot isn't a part of it, but you're not going to solve gang problems by legalizing pot. IMO, most of the crime in the US connected to marijuana is government-created. Ruining the lives of otherwise-law abiding citizens just because they wanted a toke.

Please don't misunderstand, I too am in favor of legalization, but don't fool yourself into thinking that crime will go away overnight because of it. The side effects of the drug war will go away, but that's just artificial crime.

You really think gang wars are fought over pot? No, man, they're after the hard stuff. That's not to say that pot isn't a part of it, but you're not going to solve gang problems by legalizing pot. IMO, most of the crime in the US connected to marijuana is government-created. Ruining the lives of otherwise-law abiding citizens just because they wanted a toke.

Please don't misunderstand, I too am in favor of legalization, but don't fool yourself into thinking that crime will go away overnight because of it. The side effects of the drug war will go away, but that's just artificial crime.

This is a great summary (with links and references) of why marijuana is illegal:

http://blogs.salon.com/0002762/stories/2003/12/22/whyIsMarijuanaIllegal.html

As for the American gang crap, pot is secondary to a lot of them as you stated. They want crack, heroin, the really nasty addictive stuff. Pot is a lot different in so many aspects it'd be another topic. If you compared a gang to a car dealership, heroin/crack/coke and even meth is the car itself, and marijuana is the power windows. The addictive nature of the other drugs make them more feasible to a "gang". Take away marijuana though, you take cash flow out of their hands.

Mexican gangs on the other hand, marijuana is HUGE, and more often than not, violence at the border (this is specific) is a result of marijuana distribution. The inside-Mexico cartels deal with everything though, so if marijuana is decriminalized it takes a massive chunk out of their exportation, but the problems with them will remain as long as people keep using the harder stuff, but the Mexican cartels will most definitely hurt if marijuana was legalized or even decriminalized.

Interesting stuff about the Mexican gangs, ghdi. I was not aware that marijuana was such a major part of their existence. I probably shouldn't be surprised, though. But yes, I was mainly thinking of American gangs when I made my statement.

Interesting stuff about the Mexican gangs, ghdi. I was not aware that marijuana was such a major part of their existence. I probably shouldn't be surprised, though. But yes, I was mainly thinking of American gangs when I made my statement.

You would also think that the gangs involved in marijuana would move up the food cahin and start dealing in harsher drugs - its not like they will get jobs as computer programers if their operations are shut out, they will just do what they know with another product.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.